Brewer Fanatic

Jeffress at it again, suspended 100 games; Latest -- Agent Audio Link

AJhawk50

Ugh, can't say I'm pleased with him, but I'm much more upset that it possibly (likely?) affected his ability to pitch than that he smokes marijuana. Frankly, many of the smartest, most accomplished people I know do (I probably shouldn't say too much more about my opinion lest this turns political).

However, of course, he's not in the position to do so and apparently can't handle it, so hopefully this will be the smack across the back of the head he needs.

I'm surprised that I've heard people elsewhere on the internet call for him to be DFA'd. Even if he doesn't have anywhere near a Josh Hamilton-like addiction (and I don't think he does, but I don't know), that just doesn't make sense to me at this juncture.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a lot of frustration in this post...I know on this board Jack Z has been given royalty status but Smokin' JJ is ANOTHER pitching draft pick that has gone down the tubes. Yes we have a farm system in the top 10 but at this point we are in desperate need of pitching and we don't have any in the minor leagues(yes yes I know we do at the lower levels but they aren't helping us now!!). We have all of these stud position players but they can't be traded for stud pitching prospects(I know Gamel and Escobar are untouchable). Who's left in the top 10 to trade for pitching!!?? Most, not all, of the great prospects can't play defense(very well) but would make great DH's!!

As often as Jack hit on the good ones he's missed just as many. Anyone agree??

This situation makes me very angry. A first round pick is so valuable to an organization and it's a shame that Jeffress is doing so much harm to himself and the Brewers. As a fan, I feel so cheated and robbed by this guy.

Jeremy Jeffress should have to forfeit his signing bonus because he is not holding up his end of the deal.

I want that money back and I hope the Brewers sue him to get it.

I can't believe how long of a leash they have given Jeffress as compared to how they handled Tom Wilhelmsen a few years back, a player who Reid Nichols clearly made it a point to make an example out of him before completely running him out of the organization and the game of baseball.

I also can't believe how stupid Jeffress is.

As often as Jack hit on the good ones he's missed just as many. Anyone agree??

If Jack Z. had 50 picks in one year, and hit on one of them, and that player was Ryan Braun, would you still say that he was only one-for-50? He injected the system with a ton of talent, as it's hard for me to go out of my way to find fault in the guy. Find another scouting director from 2000-2008 that did a better job procuring talent.

Jeffress is an idiot.

That we can all agree on - but a lifetime ban for weed??

A-Rod, Sosa, McGuire, Bonds and Manny all cheated at baseball and made MILLIONS. A-Rod was never suspended. Manny lost 50 games for using steroids. Bonds was blackballed a little at the end. And Sosa and McGuire were heroes.

If the NBA handed out lifetime bans for weed there would only be 10 teams.

Smoking weed isn't all that different from drinking alcohol. I'd much rather have a pitcher smoke weed than drinking and drive. I can't believe the players union agreed to this.

Ludicrous.

I'm not sure the player's union has a say in MiLB, I don't believe players in the Minors are actually part of the union are they?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

If the MLBPA doesn't test for marijuana - and therefore doesn't ban players for it's use...

Can the Brewers call up Jeffress?

(Dumb question obviously, but with Manny playing in minors I am having a hard time figuring out how MLB and MILB mix and match with suspensions)

If the MLBPA doesn't test for marijuana - and therefore doesn't ban players for it's use...

Can the Brewers call up Jeffress?

I'm not sure, but maybe. I got these from the Joint Drug Agreement (ha):

8.F. Marijuana

A Player on the Administrative Track for the use or possession of marijuana shall not be subject to suspension. The Player will be subject to fines, which shall be progressive and which shall not exceed $25,000 for any particular violation. Notwithstanding the foregoing, a Player who participates in the sale or distribution (as those terms are used in the criminal code) of marijuana will be subject to the discipline set forth in Section 8.E above.

8.J. Completion of Minor League Discipline

A Player suspended under Major League Baseball's Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program ("Minor League Program") who is selected to or otherwise placed on a 40-man roster before such suspension is complete shall be suspended at the Major League level for the lesser of: (a) the remainder of the suspension imposed under the Minor League Program or (b) the difference between the maximum penalty that could have been imposed under this Major League Program (had each of the Player's violations occurred while he was on a 40-man roster) and the number of games already served by the Player at the Minor League level. A Player who tests positive under the Minor League Program or has otherwise violated the Minor League Program and who is not notified of that positive test result or of the violation until after his promotion to a 40-man roster shall be treated as if the Player tested positive under or violated the Major League Program. Except as provided in this Paragraph J, a violation of the Minor League Program shall not be considered as a violation of this Major League Program for any purpose under this Section 8.

Does that mean that if the Brewers added Jeffress to the 40-man, his suspension would be nullified?

Baffling. I seriously think this franchise is hexed. Teddy Higuera, Juan Nieves, Cal Eldred, Nick Neugebauer, Ben Sheets, Mark Rogers, Jeffers and I know I'm missing many other great pitchers who go down one way or another. I will now go slam my head in the door until I wake up a Red Sox or Yankees fan.

EDIT: Worst part of all of this. He pretty much has worn out his welcome with the Crew. He will be traded or released and figure it out with somebody else. Back to working on my concussion.

Agent 39 is qouted in the linked JS piece that they are looking to get him into treatment.

I too had wondered about loaning him out to an indy team so that he could keep pitching, as he will lose most of a season of development.

The only addiction Jeffress has is immaturity. I'm not one to think weed is the evil drug that many make it out to be, but after his first suspension, Jeffress knew the consequences for getting high and he still did it. Why risk everything you've worked so hard to achieve in order to enjoy some temporary, fleeting pleasure? I would say he and the South Carolina governor fall into the same boat. A combination of feeling they are above everyone else, and complete irresponsibility. It's sad to see so much talent go to waste over a few moronic choices.

Legalize it.

That is all.

Imagine failing a DUI roadside test because you had 5 beers two Saturdays ago. It's stupid.

I agree whole-heartedly with these statements.

But my main issue here is the MiLB testing for it. Why? It (clearly) doesn't enhance performance.

I understand that it's illegal, but what other laws are they making sure their employees aren't breaking in their spare time? Maybe they should set up a speed trap just outside the stadium. Forget the IRS; let's have Bob Miscik audit their taxes this year.

Silly.

Our entire society has come a long ways from where it used to be, about Cannabis.

It still has a long ways to go. This story about Jeremy is an example. Of anything a person could do, weed is the least of anyone's worries. It was stupid of him to keep smoking and smoking, after he was suspended the first time, but this is rediculous. It was ridiculous the first time he was suspended.

How many unrepentant alcoholics have been allowed free reign in baseball? How many Goodens and Strawberries were coked up all the time and let loose?

This country disgusts me, throwing stoners in jail, for any reason; growing, transporting, possession. Cannabis should be the least of anyone's worries.

The Drug War is nothing but about growing the prison population, creating a police state based on no knock raids and militarized police, and worst of all, trying to foster complete ignorance and fear of something that is natural, safe, and wonderful.

Sorry to get political on everyone, but as I say, the War on Drugs is a War on YOU. And now Jeremy Jeffress is a victim amongst millions.

That's too bad. I feel for the kid, he's young and is making some real dumb mistakes.

There's a few players on the Brewers who are certainly playing like they are smoking too much weed, even though they haven't been caught...

I think a lot of you need to get past the politics of weed on this one. Many employers in this country test for marijuana, along with other controlled substances. The consequences for failing these tests are known to employees up front. Whether the tests are right or wrong is irrelevant. Jeffress knew that by smoking grass, he risked losing his job. I can accept the first mistake, but the second time around is just plain stupidity. Is weed really worth giving up millions of dollars for? Make your millions first man, and then get high all you want.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Just an FYI, but Tom Wilhelmsen (his Power 50 history for you all) is on the Inactive List for the Tuscon Toros of the independent Golden Baseball League. Jim Rushford is on that squad, Curt Miaso was briefly a Brewer farmhand. Dustin Yount, son of Robin, is on that team as well. Wilhelmsen will be 26 in December. Time flies. The 2001 7th round pick was suspended in April of 2004 and "voluntarily retired" in June of 2005. He reached an injury settlement with the Brewers on a shoulder injury in '06, we believe.

colbyjack wrote:

I can't believe how long of a leash they have given Jeffress as compared to how they handled Tom Wilhelmsen a few years back, a player who Reid Nichols clearly made it a point to make an example out of him before completely running him out of the organization and the game of baseball.

Yeah, there was a lot of backstory there that never made it out, and won't now either, but Wilhelmsen's tale and fall from prospectdom has been long overlooked.

I have to say that while marijuana itself may not be addictive, anything is addictive to somebody with an addictive personality. A marijuana addiction might be similar to a compulsive gambling addiction.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

MLB really needs to lighten up on the marijana issue and not link it in the substance abuse poliy(I think weed shouldn't be considered as bad as steroids and PED's) . We all know marijana isn't a bad drug, a harmful drug and is actually 10x safer than alcohol but it is just something that is fowned upon in our American culture. I personally don't smoke it because I just don't care that much for it, I can throw in a snus or dip and get the same feeling except for the giggles. Plus being considered a stoner was never a image or label I wanted as an athlete or coach and now a soon to be parent. With that said it should be legalized in the first place, it's a billion plus dollar industry if they would tax and sell it. But this isn't the site to get into it.

To me Jeffress needs to just grow up. It's not an addiction it's pure immaturity like someone said before. You can stop if you want. He should have know that after his first suspension that he'd be tested more and at least learned the millions of ways to clear it out of you system. Baseball should stop even testing for marijana like the NBA. Could you image if the NBA tested? ha David Stern is a bright man for not. Jeffress if you really can't quit get a hold of Ricky Williams and asked how hewent like 7 years without being busted when he smokes multiple times everyday. I know he failed 4 in a season but thats after he went crazy and really thought that getting high, traveling the world with no money was the true way to live life. Hope Jeremy takes a note from that a realizes that getting kicked out of sports and losing all your money isn't worth it at all

great to see MiLB with some guts here. I've seen drugs destroy far too many lives and it's a painful topic for me. It's terribly addictive for people with tendencies towards addiction. I can't remember exact numbers from presentations I've seen, but isn't it now around 2000% more potent than in the 1970s? Modern science has produced addictive weed.

Some people only smoke up when they want to. Some (like me) only drink once in a while. I've never had an urge where I've felt "I need a drink." Yet I've seen people that truly need alcohol. But the reality is that many people are addicted to it and denying it is foolish. Sure, many others are not addicted to it. Jeffress needs our support, but at this point I am shaking my head at him and declaring him a huge screw-up. If I were the Brewers, I would look into seeing if they can recoup part of his signing bonus because he has clearly been in breach of contract.

To me Jeffress needs to just grow up. It's not an addiction it's pure immaturity like someone said before.
This part of your argument I agree with 100%. Whatever your political stance on the issue is, the fact of the matter is this drug test was failed by Jeffress even after he had already failed one. He is a guy with the possibility of making millions of dollars playing baseball. I gave up illicit substances to take a job that pays a fraction of what he stands to make, so I just can't understand how he can't give up a drug like cannabis with way more at stake.

If you watch interviews with Jeffress, he seems like a bright kid. I would like to hear a statement from him on why he can't get his act together and what he's going to do about it. This is frustrating.

Archived