Brewer Fanatic

Jeffress at it again, suspended 100 games; Latest -- Agent Audio Link

AJhawk50

Right-hander Jeremy Jeffress, rated by many as the top pitching prospect in the Brewers' farm system, has drawn a 100-game suspension for testing positive for a second time for a "substance of abuse."

The penalty leaves Jeffress, 21, one positive test away from a lifetime ban under the Minor League Drug Treatment and Prevention program.

rest of article @

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/49267777.html

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have to imagine this completely ruins his trade value. At this point all you can do is hope the kid gets his habit under control and doesn't riun his whole life.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Man, he must have taken his lack of success at AA pretty hard. The Brewers can't really trade him for fair value now, they'll just have to nurture him back to success (and I use the term "nurture" in its loosest sense seeing that it's all on him, really) and hope that he gets it both off and on the field. Flat out getting rid of him at this point (as suggested in the drivel at the J-S blog) wouldn't make any sense. There's just too much talent and too much invested in him.

Best of luck to Jeremy in his ongoing recovery.

What's that phrase? Million dollar arm, ten cent head? Yeah, I think ten cents may be too generous.

Dime sack head?

Unbelievable. I don't even know what to say

Dear Jeremy Jeffress:

You are a bleeping idiot.

Love,

Brewers fans

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Wow. I'm not even sure what to say, he's gone from hero to zero in a day.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I would refrain from calling him an idiot. He's not stupid, he knows how much he's destroying his career/future income, but obviously he's not in the state of mind where he can correct his behavior. Addiction is a disease, and like his agent said in that article, this goes beyond baseball at this point. I hope he's able to make some positive changes.

I'm not sold on the addiction angle, personally. Call me a cynic, but the easiest thing to do in these situations is to claim addiction. I understand that real addiction is a tough beast to conquer, but I'm sorry... if this is weed, "addiction" is way more likely a smoke-screen than legit.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I agree. I don't buy the whole addiction thing. He's been in rehab. He knew exactly what he had to gain and had to lose. The Brewers paid him a lot of money and it will likely be money thrown out the window. Is he subject to testing while he's suspended? If so, I'm willing to bet he'll never pitch again in the minors.

I agree. I don't buy the whole addiction thing. He's been in rehab. He knew exactly what he had to gain and had to lose. The Brewers paid him a lot of money and it will likely be money thrown out the window. Is he subject to testing while he's suspended? If so, I'm willing to bet he'll never pitch again in the minors.
A person knowing what they have to gain and what they have to lose really doesn't have anything to do with addiction. When someone is addicted, they really don't care about any of that - they might give you a nice speech and tell you they do, but all they really care about is the next high and yes, for some people weed is the drug of choice - it's not a hard drug, but people still become addicted.

Also, just because someone goes to rehab one time - doesn't mean they are cured for the remainder of their lives..... People don't get better until they REALLY want to get better and deal with the issues that pushed them down the wrong path.

One of two things is going on with him:

- He has an addiction and hasn't dealt with whatever it is that turned him onto substance abuse in the first place

- He just doesn't care and just wants to party

I would assume this is an extension to MLB and he would be banned from MLB as well, right?
Yeah, that's what I meant. He'd be banned for life from MLB and the affiliated minors. He could play in the independent leagues, but it be moot whether we held his rights or not.

EDIT: I'm not sure I'm right. MLB doesn't test for drugs of abuse, but I don't know if a lifetime suspension procured in the minors would extend to MLB or not. Reading up on it.

Archived