Brewer Fanatic

Ian Snell?

I'd do Villanueva or McClung for Snell if they really want to move him. He was pretty good in 2007.
McClung yes Villanueva no. I doubt it would even take someone like McClung to get Snell from the Pirates it looks as though there are a lot of problems between Snell and the GM. Cody or Dillard might be enough to get Snell.

Just because there are problems doesn't mean he is going to give him away to a division rival. That would be stupid. Cody? Dillard? C'mon guys get serious if you want a starter you have to give something up.

Just because there are problems doesn't mean he is going to give him away to a division rival. That would be stupid. Cody? Dillard? C'mon guys get serious if you want a starter you have to give something up.
The GM has been trying to get rid of Snell for awhile now and there has been no takers so far. I wouldn't be surprised if Snell is moved for someone like Cody or Dillard.

If you've been following the situation and reading comments from the Pittsburgh GM - I would say Nate is probably correct.

Snell is owed 4.25M next year. (Along with two team options years after that) You don't pay AAA players 4.25M.

The GM has said several times that he regrets giving Snell that contract - refering to it as a "mistake". Now he has made comments on how Snell doesn't want to be in Pittsburgh and they don't really seem to want him back.

Pittsburgh is just looking to get 4.25M off of the books next year.

I hope Melvin at least investigates the possibility. He'd be a clear upgrade over Burns, and is not very expensive.

I agree. If there was ever a player who needed a change of scenary, its him. Considering how he's pitched at AAA, he could be an absolute steal. He could be a longterm solution.

I really hope he is aquired, and eliminates Mike Burns from the rotation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Thats interesting Nate82. I thought Snell's stuff looked awesome against the Brewers earlier in the year, IIRC, it was the game where Gallardo's homer was the only run.

I'd offer Brendan Katin, and get this done so Snell can take Burns next turn. With Snell's contract options, he could be a steal if he gets himself right.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I wonder why no team has made a move for him...those AAA numbers are ridiculous and he is in his prime. Barring his situation, he is definitely a risk, but the return could supersede that risk by light years.

I wonder why no team has made a move for him...those AAA numbers are ridiculous and he is in his prime. Barring his situation, he is definitely a risk, but the return could supersede that risk by light years.
It might be the mental problems that teams are worried about or the Pirates asking price but that doesn't sound like it is the issue. There maybe something else going on that hasn't been reported yet or is just unknown. Teams may also be waiting to see if the Pirates just dump Snell and sign him instead of giving away something for him.
Thats interesting Nate82. I thought Snell's stuff looked awesome against the Brewers earlier in the year, IIRC, it was the game where Gallardo's homer was the only run.

I'd offer Brendan Katin, and get this done so Snell can take Burns next turn. With Snell's contract options, he could be a steal if he gets himself right.

I don't think the Pirates would want another OF though. I would think they would want a pitcher in return but Katin would be almost perfect. If Snell is as good as he was or just somewhat good as he was in the beginning of the season it would be a steal. I think Snell would be just as good of a move as it would be trading for Bedard or Davis. Snell has two option years after the '10 season both years are under $10m with '12 option being the most expensive but rather cheap at $9.25m. Snell is only owed $4.25m next year also and about $1.5m for the rest of this season.

Snell would be a cheap upgrade for the rotation and would be at least a cheaper #4 option for next season if the Brewers would pick up Looper's option. It makes sense for the Brewers to go after Snell I'm just not sure it will happen though.

Fwiw, the PIT tv announcers talked about Snell during today's game, & they too basically said he will be traded relatively soon. Seems like Snell is the perfect/obvious 'buy low' candidate. I'm guessing the package the Brewers sent to ARZ (Gillespie + Mercedes) would easily net Snell.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm warming up to the idea of a buying Snell low, and I wouldn't mind the team making a run at Marcum or McGowan in the off-season in another "buy low" sort of move. If DM isn't looking to make a splash, then take a chance on some guys with talent but with issues, be it injuries or otherwise

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived