Brewer Fanatic

Ian Snell?

Ian Snell stuck out 17 batters in his first AAA start, including 13 in a row. I'm not sure if the Pirates would dare deal him within the division, especially being only 5 games out of first at the moment.

I just pondered the same thing at Ramblings (click below if you wish), so great minds must think alike.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Snell is a buy low candidate, and he has some salary guaranteed for next year, but he's better than Burns and Narveson, and his potential is he might just "find it" away from the negative nellies in PIT. Still just 27 as well, that's a good age to take a flyer on.

I don't like Snell's 1.624 WHIP this year, or his 1.765 WHIP last season, and his SO/9 is way down this year too. Not sure if he is much of an upgrade over what we have, however, I do agree that he'd be worth taking a chance on in case he turns it around...

I do think the Pirates would be hesitant to trade within the division

Yeah they were so hesitant to trade away Aramis Ramirez within the division. I don't believe the Pirates are really that worried about Snell being traded to the Brewers.

Yeah they were so hesitant to trade away Aramis Ramirez within the division. I don't believe the Pirates are really that worried about Snell being traded to the Brewers.
Different management was in place then.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Snell does still seem to have some upside but time is running out. I guess I could agree with Al that he is a high risk and high reward type guy. But I think I would rather go for Davis, Washburn or even Brad Penny.
Boo, hiss, and why? It doesn't make much sense to make a move, just to make a move. Davis' ERA isn't supported by his peripheral numbers and he scares the heck out of me.. Washburn isn't any better than a healthy Bush and why would we help out Boston by taking Penny off their hands? Who's he better than? What's the point of replacing average with more average?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Right now, any P they pick up only has to be better than Burns or Narveson. They could add Snell and another P and be far from overloaded.
While I agree with that, McClung is just as good as Washburn, Bush will be back quick, and I'm thinking Braddock will be replacing Narveson very soon. I'd rather save our prospects for an impact pitcher.

If the Braves keep fading, Javier Vasquez should become available for prospects.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Vasquez is signed through next year, at $11.5 million. With Lowe, Kawakami, Jurrjens, Hansen all under control next year, and an option on Hudson, they could make a move. Obviously they'll want the best hitter they can get, or a package of hitting prospects.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Would they possibly do Parra for Snell? Would seem like a decent "change of scenery" trade.

Manny Parra has pitched 257 MLB innings over 1 full season plus. Not sure he is really yet a candidate for a change of scenery trade.

I don't believe the Pirates are really that worried about Snell being traded to the Brewers.
I am worried about what they would want to trade within the division...this is a new GM and not Littlefield that traded ARam to CHC and also took on MMorris' salary for a young OF in return...that got him canned. I like what PIT is doing until they can draft enough guys to field a real team. PIT will pass HOU soon and stay there for a long time.

I am worried about what they would want to trade within the division...this is a new GM and not Littlefield that traded ARam to CHC and also took on MMorris' salary for a young OF in return...that got him canned. I like what PIT is doing until they can draft enough guys to field a real team. PIT will pass HOU soon and stay there for a long time.
Don't be worried about what it would take because it is not going to take much. There have been rumors of the Pirates dumping Snell all together right now. If the Pirates could get some value from Snell they would take it right now. Article on Snell. MLB Trade Rumors take on it. If the Pirates have been trying to trade Snell for awhile now I believe the Pirates will take just about anything no matter what team it is or they may just outright release him.

• 2 weeks later...

Ian Snell has a 0.34 ERA in four starts with Class AAA Indianapolis, but he has no clear course back to the Pirates, general manager Neal Huntington said yesterday, because of what Huntington described as Snell's desire not to return. "Ian has spoken publicly that he doesn't want to be here, and it's tough to bring back a player who doesn't want to be back," Huntington said. "There's no doubt he's gone down there and thrown well. Time will tell." Reached in Pawtucket, R.I., where he was with Indianapolis, Snell responded that he never said he had no desire to return to the Pirates, publicly or otherwise.

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

This situation is getting very interesting.

I heard on the radio while I was working that he was depressed while in Pittsburgh, didnt want to return there and even had suicidal thoughts while he was there. That's pretty heavy, I'd take a flyer on him as a pitcher but you have to wonder if that is true that he's probably better served with some time away from baseball.

This situation is getting very interesting.
Wow, I guess so. He's a real life version of the video they always play on the scoreboard when we play them where the guy says "I don't wanna be a pirate"

He obviously a better option than Mike Burns.

I think this is the type of player/move that the Brewers really should be looking at. Yes Halladay would be great, but the cost is so high in both prospects and salary that it may actually be better to take a flier on a couple of guys like Snell that have talent but just haven't put it together. Maybe Snell pitching in games that actually mean something might help him produce.

Archived