Brewer Fanatic

The NBA Draft

jaybird2001wi

With the NBA Draft being tonight, I will be watching it. Not just because of being a sports fan, but also because it is the most comedic and entertaining draft in all professional sports because of all the weirdness that goes on and emotions. Here are the following as to why I love the NBA Draft:

1) A player gets drafted by a team he did not want to play for and ends up crying while being interviewed (see: Steve Francis)

2) The amount of Mothers at the draft supporting their sons and they end up crying by saying, "My boy is going to (insert city name) and I don't know what to do!"

3) The fashion statements conveyed by the players when smiling with David Stern.

4) Awkward height differences between Stern and the players.

5) The times players get drafted by a team knowing they will only be wearing that hat for about five minutes before being swapped to another team and they must sound excited.

6) The player who declares himself eligible for the draft knowing he will be the last guy in the Green Room; consequently, the cameras will constantly show him in embarrassment until he gets picked.

7) Whenever David Stern announces a trade and the whole crowd goes wild only to find out its a trade involving an obscure player and a second round pick.

8) Whenever the broadcasters bash the Knicks, they get a ton of boos from the MSG crowd.

Then, what will likely happen first tonight?

1) The word "upside" is used or a Mother cries because his son is going to a cold winter city.

2) A player cries because he got drafted by a team he hates or an announcer gets booed.

3) A young player asks what state a small market city is located in or this young player getting confused over a "big word" used by the interviewer.

4) The crowd boos a pick because the player came out of nowhere or the broadcast crew acts like they know who the no name player is and throws in random vague statements.

5) A player who slides down the draft ladder for no apparent reason and gets upset when interviewed or the last guy in the Green Room starts to hide himself in shame.

6) A player talks on their cell phone or hugs their Mother.

7) Broadcasters say "raw talent" or "a project player"

8) The broadcast team hears a name they never heard of and stare at each other in confusion or a smart college senior states something intelligent leading to the interviewer in a state of confusion.

4) Awkward height differences between Stern and the players

This one's always my favorite. Gotta love the irony in the commissioner of a league full of tall dudes being such a tiny guy.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yeah, Lawson will be going to Denver. The Wolves also drafted ANOTHER guard in Wayne Ellington. I wouldn't be surprised if he's traded as well, and they just keep Rubio and Flynn. They either didn't find anyone to take the picks, or they simply drafted Lawson and Ellington for other teams and will then trade them.

And Blair has been taken by the Spurs....

No worries...plenty of options available. There's Mills, Meeks, McClinton, McNeal, Budinger, Green, and probably more.

EDIT: Lovely pick with Meeks. Possible heir to Michael Redd's throne?

Who, Lawson? And why, any near future pick of the Nuggets is likely to be worse than where Lawson was selected, unless Minnesota is out of money.

It's for the Bobcats future pick which was acquired last year in for Alexis Ajinca.

I thought it was real classy that the Knicks fans booed their own pick and then decided to ruin Pyscho T's dream night by chanting over-rated as soon as he got picked.

It also sucked that none of the Marquette 3 got drafted. I don't know why McNeal wasn't drafted

I thought it was real classy that the Knicks fans booed their own pick and then decided to ruin Pyscho T's dream night by chanting over-rated as soon as he got picked.

It also sucked that none of the Marquette 3 got drafted. I don't know why McNeal wasn't drafted

McNeal will probably sign with a team and is probably better for him not to be drafted since he can go to a team that fits his style of play.

He's undersized at his position and was a streaky shooter. I don't understand why people find this so surprising. I could still see him sticking in the league, tho. I like him, but I can see why GMs didn't want to use a pick on him.

I still think McNeal was better than at least half of those European "project" players. I was shocked that teams began taking them in the late first round, and some of the bigger names (Blair, Sam Young, Budinger, just to name a few) remained on the board going into the second round.

I still think McNeal was better than at least half of those European "project" players. I was shocked that teams began taking them in the late first round, and some of the bigger names (Blair, Sam Young, Budinger, just to name a few) remained on the board going into the second round.

How many big name college guys actually like those three actually make it in the league? And look at how many former foreign project guys played key roles for the contenders this season.

How many big name college guys actually like those three actually make it in the league? And look at how many former foreign project guys played key roles for the contenders this season.

Isn't one of the best players on the Bucks one of those bigger named College players? I think he went to Ohio State, yet got drafted in the second round.

Isn't one of the best players on the Bucks one of those bigger named College players? I think he went to Ohio State, yet got drafted in the second round.

How about Shawn Respert, Tyus Edney, J.J. Reddick, Calbert Chane, Dee Brown, Sean May ...

The point is that just because you know the guy's name doesn't automatically make him an NBA player. As said many times by people talking about Jennings, some of the top Euro leagues have higher levels of competition and are better development training grounds than NCAA programs.

There have also been a fair share of European busts, as well. The biggest one I can think of is easily Darko Milicic.
Yaroslov Korolev, #12 overall to the Clippers in 2005. 34 career games, 168 career minutes, 39 career points.

Granted, Korolev was not taken over Anthony/Bosh/Wade, but Darko is still in the league and just turned 24.

Darko never really got a chance to play in Detroit though. Larry Brown hated him and burried him on the bench. I believe Detroit was hoping that Darko would have stayed in Europe and not had come to the NBA when they drafted him.

Archived