Brewer Fanatic

Zach Braddock

jjfanec

Zach Braddock got some mention in a piece on the JS today.

"Ash said that Braddock, a former starting pitcher, has the kind of stuff to move quickly to the big leagues. He has dealt with health problems and emotional issues in the past, and Ash said his routine is being "monitored closely.""

Two things stood out to me from that little blurb. One, the wording makes it seem like Braddock is being looked at as a relief pitcher now. Maybe i am reading too much into it. Obviously, Braddock was on a pitch count this year. His longest appearance seemed to be 2.1 innings. I am hoping they are just limiting his innings to be careful and that they still view him as a starting pitcher. Calling him a former starting pitchers just caught my eye.

Second, I know about Zach's health problems, but I was unaware of his emotional issues in the past. I do not really care about the details of the issue nor do I want to rehash what the issue may have been. I was just wondering if this was something that has been revealed before?

Regarding the "former starting pitcher" comment, I want to believe that's just in reference to the fact that his stats this year are solely from short relief appearances and not a future bearing of the Brewers longterm plans with him.

I also found the mention of "emotional issues" to be a bit odd. First I've heard of it. That's not a direct quote from Gord Ash, so it could just be another case of Tom being Tom in his minor league coverage. Is it really a legitimate concern?

EDIT: just read this in the Huntsville thread. Tom's not entirely wrong this time, but he sure could have done a bit more citing. Their entry in the paper version didn't mention the condition either. Best of luck to Zach in his ongoing recovery.

Zach's problems the past three season's have all been centered around his body. I don't think there is any reason for concern. The control issues were due to the irritated nerve and some misdiagnosis by the team Dr (scary). The BP is no different than a player suffering from depression, anxiety, ocd, tourette's or a host of other issues. They can all be treated successfully with medication and counseling. We have kids in our org with worse problems (i.e., drugs and steroids).

I am hoping Gord's comment ws just referring to Braddock's stats this year as well. Too much talent coming out of the pen (for now anyway).

I think he's limited to the bullpen now simply because they won't allow him to throw more than 90-100 innings this year. If he stays healthy, it's not unrealistic to guess that he won't be able to throw 200 innings for another 4-5 years. He will spend a lot of time in the bullpen for the rest of the year, probably into next year. But he'll get action on a set schedule, and gradually build up the arm strength to be able to go 5+ innings every 5 days.

Unless of course the Brewers envision him solely as a bullpen guy... which is difficult for me to believe. Granted he'd be a stud reliever, but Braddock has the potential to be a top of the rotation guy. I'm guessing the Brewers still think the endgame for Braddock is the rotation.

Second, I know about Zach's health problems, but I was unaware of his emotional issues in the past. I do not really care about the details of the issue nor do I want to rehash what the issue may have been. I was just wondering if this was something that has been revealed before?
From my understanding, though, the emotional issues are nothing crippling like we've seen some other players in the past. Much like the whole Escobar deal, I wish TH would not feel he has to post EVERYTHING he knows. Lord knows we don't.

Zach is probably my favorite pitcher in the minors right now. Once he puts it all together, he'll be a beast.

From my understanding, though, the emotional issues are nothing crippling like we've seen some other players in the past. Much like the whole Escobar deal, I wish TH would not feel he has to post EVERYTHING he knows. Lord knows we don't.

Zach is probably my favorite pitcher in the minors right now. Once he puts it all together, he'll be a beast.

Man if and when he does puts it all together it's going to be scary for opposing hitters. I think next year we will be in the Nashville rotation but like someone said before, this season they have a strict inning and pitch count limit on him as they do with Rogers. I think he could be up in Milwaukee by June or July next season if he doesn't have any set backs. If he doesn't go back to being a starter i would think it's because they feel he could be their future closer. Sure has the stuff to be.

Well, first of all, McCalvy was the one who reported that Braddock was diagnosed bipolar; Haudricourt just said he had "emotional issues". Second of all, Ash is the one who brought it up; it's not like they went digging through Braddock's garbage. If Ash didn't want it out there, he shouldn't have talked about it. And as for just how it's characterized, bipolar disorder is not "emotional issues" and I prefer the accuracy of McCalvy's report to Tom's blandness, which also smacks faintly of tough-guy macho BS--ooh, "emotional issues", that could be anything! He doesn't have the will to compete! Lacks that killer instinct! Why not be as specific as possible?

Yeah, if Gord said that, it's on him, but I also take issue with the intentional vagueness of "emotional issues" in Haudricourt's article. The guy keeps on proving that he just doesn't get it. Increased coverage from the J-S without accurate details means nothing.

Braddock's emotional issues are old news. Baseball America reported it 2 years ago, so its obviously under control if it hasn't been an issue since then.

As for Braddock being used as a reliever, he has had 2 elbow sureries by age 21. The team has seen the inside of that elbow. While the need to use him as a reliever is disappointing, the decision is an educated one. We'd all rather have Braddock be a dominnant starter, but if the doctors feel the choices are injured starter or healthy, dominant reliever, I think we'd all pick the latter.

I expect to see Braddock in the Brewers pen before years end.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

The BP is no different than a player suffering from depression, anxiety, ocd, tourette's or a host of other issues. They can all be treated successfully with medication and counseling. We have kids in our org with worse problems
I've spoken a fair share about Braddock's bi-polar disorder in the Huntsville thread, so I don't want to harp - But I believe you are way off base.

Bi-polar is a horrible disease and in an entirely different class than depression or anxiety. A bi-polar diagnosis is similar to an HIV diagnosis - they can treat it with meds and still lead a normal life, but it will effect every aspect of your entire life and you will spend every single day worrying about it. I've known individuals who strive to stay alive.

Bi-polar isn't treated with meds. They just hope to hide the symptoms. It looks like Zach has been dealing very well - but many bi-polar individuals strive to hold down any job and just lead a normal life. Pitching in the major leagues is much more pressure packed.

Lastly, the last few years have shown improvement - but bi-polar meds can have significant draw backs as well. I know one of stronger meds causes significant weight gains.

Wasn't there a top basketball recruit at UW-Madison about 10 years ago who was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and ultimately left the team his sophomore season? It is a very devastating condition, and having a close colleague whose wife has it he has told me there are plenty of times when he leaves the house where he brings the keys to the gun cabinet with him. Like twobrewers said, it can be very difficult for those people to hold down any job; we can only hope that it is a mild case.

The BP is no different than a player suffering from depression, anxiety, ocd, tourette's or a host of other issues. They can all be treated successfully with medication and counseling. We have kids in our org with worse problems
I've spoken a fair share about Braddock's bi-polar disorder in the Huntsville thread, so I don't want to harp - But I believe you are way off base.

Bi-polar is a horrible disease and in an entirely different class than depression or anxiety. A bi-polar diagnosis is similar to an HIV diagnosis - they can treat it with meds and still lead a normal life, but it will effect every aspect of your entire life and you will spend every single day worrying about it. I've known individuals who strive to stay alive.

Bi-polar isn't treated with meds. They just hope to hide the symptoms. It looks like Zach has been dealing very well - but many bi-polar individuals strive to hold down any job and just lead a normal life. Pitching in the major leagues is much more pressure packed.

Lastly, the last few years have shown improvement - but bi-polar meds can have significant draw backs as well. I know one of stronger meds causes significant weight gains.

Trust me TB...I am way closer to this than you are. BP is not life threatening like HIV. You are correct, it doesn't go away, but it is managable. So the kid comes into his first AA appearance with 2 on and 1 out. Overpowers the first hitter and pops up the second, hits an opposite field grand slam in his first professional at bat and k's two of the next three hitters....how do you think he's doing?

The team has seen the inside of that elbow.
The team also misdiagnosed the elbow for a few years.

Once Braddock's elbow has a few years of healthy mileage on it, there's no need to waste his stuff in the bullpen. He might end up pitching out of the pen to begin his major league career simply because he doesn't have the innings built up to start. But if he stays healthy for the next 2-3 years, there's no reason he shouldn't be worked into the rotation. That's wasting too much talent in the pen. He's truly a top tier pitcher when he's right.

BP is not life threatening like HIV. You are correct, it doesn't go away, but it is managable.
I probably shouldn't have used HIV because of the stigma still attached - but HIV isnt' nearly as life threatening as it once was either. My point was, that from a medical standpoint, it needs to be monitored every day so as to not become a problem.

And bipolar can be life-threatening. The suicide rate for a bipolar individual is between 10-20 times that national average. And it often hits individuals the hardest in the early to mid 20s. Here's hoping that Braddock has the worst behind him.

Judging by his phenomenal success in the minors, it looks as though Braddock likely has a lesser case of bi-polar disorder. I'll be cheering even more for him.

I almost hate to see him in the bullpen in MLB. I know he won't have innings built up for a few years - but it would seem like a waste of service time to call him up next year to pitch in relief.

From the post game article in another thread

"Last year at Brevard County, he started 11 times but struggled with pain and control - his ERA jumped to 5.51 - and he eventually made the move to the bullpen for his rehab.

"It's a little bit different. Instead of setting the tone you're often looking to put a stop to something," Braddock said. "(Last year), I guess they liked what they saw."

He's been strictly a reliever this year, mainly as a set-up man. Though Curtis said starting "may creep back" into Braddock's future, he'll likely have the same role with Huntsville.

"With the fastball and slider he's got, he has a shot at mowing people down," Curtis said. "But he'll be on a pitch count and he'll very rarely be brought back the day after he pitches. He's more than willing to do whatever we ask of him."

Given the way the organization has watched over him as he's dealt with his various health issues, Braddock said that's only fair.

"They've taken good care of me," he said. "I just want to give them something back in return."

This article seems to answer a couple questions. First he is most likely a reliever all year but they are definitely keeping the starting pitching option open. The Brewers could handle him like the Twins handled Santana.

The second thing that jumped out at me is there was a lot of negative talk about how the Brewers handled Zach's injuries but he seems very happy with what they have done for him. Now obviously he would not trash them in an interview but he also would not have to say they took very good care of him.

It's obvious the Brewers have handled him with kid gloves. They have eased him into the season and dramatically restricted his pitch count all year and in past seasons. No one would dispute that. It's commendable (although frustrating as a fan), but knowing that Rausch (team Dr.) wanted him to have a second Tommy John surgery at the end of last season is outrageous. You don't have to be a genius to realize if the last pitch a kid threw in '08 was clocked at 98 mph, he DOESN'T need TJ surgery...that's what is so scary.

Very excited to see him shine in Huntsville last night, Doug Melvin was in attendance so Zach may be in Milwaukee, sooner than we all thought after that performance.

You don't have to be a genius to realize if the last pitch a kid threw in '08 was clocked at 98 mph, he DOESN'T need TJ surgery...that's what is so scary.

A drop in velocity is a precursur to a shoulder injury, but not an elbow tear. Velocity is not effected by the elbow, control is. Even if TJ was ordered, when the elbow was opened up, they would have seen the still intact ligament, and would have found the displaced nerve. I can understand the disappointment that the displaced nerve wasn't found sooner, but in other cases of this injury in MLB pitchers, it often goes undetected, is an ongoing problem, and has lead to exploratory surgery. This problem is almost exclusive to pitchers who have had previous arm surgeries.

I had lambasted the Brewers for the medical care years ago, and that next offseason Doug Melvin overhauled the entire medical staff. It seems to be as efficient as other organizations now.

Very excited to see him shine in Huntsville last night, Doug Melvin was in attendance so Zach may be in Milwaukee, sooner than we all thought after that performance.
I agree. If there is concerns about the longterm health of his elbow, lets not waste his best years in the minors. We know he's better than Chris Narveson right now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

A drop in velocity is a precursur to a shoulder injury, but not an elbow tear. Velocity is not effected by the elbow, control is.

That's not true. A quick and distinct drop in velocity often is a precursor to serious elbow problems. I'm guessing you're thinking of how quickly pitchers recover their velocity after TJ surgery, and how control often comes 6-18 months later.

A drop in velocity is a precursur to a shoulder injury, but not an elbow tear. Velocity is not effected by the elbow, control is.

That's not true. A quick and distinct drop in velocity often is a precursor to serious elbow problems. I'm guessing you're thinking of how quickly pitchers recover their velocity after TJ surgery, and how control often comes 6-18 months later.

CJ- you are right. If you understand bio-mechanics, the elbow is the weakest link in the pitching chain. Control issues are definitely influenced but the elbow, but if the elbow is shot, you cannot generate that kind of velocity (98 mph) even on steroids! Yet this is one of the only orthopedic surgeries that a player can come back stronger from. Obviously, looking at scouting reports on Zach in HS...he was lucky to hit 85-86, and now he is throwing in the mid 90's. Enough said. We should all be comfortable and settled with his progress...let's enjoy the ride.

Archived