Brewer Fanatic

Pitching Matchups vs Cubs July 4th Weekend

bobskube
For selfish reasons I'm glad Gallardo is going today, as I will be in attendance.

Yeah, me too. Especially since my son has a game tonight so I want the game to get over a little faster than normal.

Crossing my fingers, I think the Brewers are warming up just in time to play the Cubs down there despite what seems to be an unfavorable pitching match up on paper. JJ is on fire, Corey Hart is swinging the bat better. Braun and Fielder are both hitting well right now. McGhee continues to surprise. Counsell has been outstanding this year. Even Kendall has picked it up lately at the plate. The Cubs have been scratching for runs lately, and the Brewers have been beating some decent pitching lately in Matt Cain and Johan Santana. Of course they could get shutout the next day by a rookie making his major league debut, but I do feel much better about playing the Cubs now certainly than I did after the Tigers series.

Even though the Cubs are struggaling, I still see this as a huge series in setting the tone, much like the one in MKE was last year.

Cubs get 3 or all 4, they're right back in it. Brewers split, they keep them at bay and will likely have a lead still going into the Cards series.

Brewers get 3 or all 4, they can bury the Cubs and get even more separation.

These next two series are pretty big. I hope the good Brewers show up.

What a way to enter the ASB...4 against the Cubs then come home to play the Cardinals and Dodgers. If the standings look roughly the way they do today on July 12th, I'll be thrilled. Give me 6 of the next 11 and I'll be pretty pleased.

"Cubs pitchers pitched above ability last year, they are about where they should be this year if not still slightly better. "

Except for Harden, I agree with this statement. I think he has underperformed this year.

Heck, at this juncture and with those matchups, I'll take a 3-1 Cubs' series win as long as there is no dramatic late-inning comeback win in there that prompts a season-long tear. [/jinx]

Knowing how the Brewers play at Wrigley and how the two teams are playing right now period, I'm holding out hope for a split though.

Every time I think of Brewers' 4th of July weekend baseball, I always think of listening to this one on the radio while driving around looking for a parking spot in Chicago going to a friend's barbecue. Great game, very gripping. Both Sheets and Clement were dealing and given how short the game was, I literally spent most of it circling for a spot.

But yeah, I expect to see more standard-issue Cubs-Brewers 12-10 bloodbaths than 1-0 duels this weekend.

Although I'd obviously rather see Yo out there tonight, tonight's matchup is amusing to me if only because I can't remember the last time two redhead pitchers faced off in a Brewers' game.

Perhaps Ralph malph can throw out the first pitch (maybe Coffey can get the save).

I expect nothing less than a split even with the Cubs better starters.
I'll take a split right now. We don't need to give the Cubs any ammunition especially after 2007 and the Aramis game at about the same time of season.

"Cubs pitchers pitched above ability last year, they are about where they should be this year if not still slightly better. "

Except for Harden, I agree with this statement. I think he has underperformed this year.

I don't know that Harden's ability will ever be the same after all the injuries though. He is pretty much a 2 pitch pitcher and he has lost velocity off the fastball.

Archived