Brewer Fanatic

FIFA Confederations Cup 2009; huge upset by the U.S. to make final

SeriesFinale

Wow! Huge upset. Who were those guys?!? DeMerit and Gooch deserve our finest meats and cheeses, what fantastic defense.

I have to think they'll lose against the Brazilians (presumably) this Sunday, but then again, this tournament has already seen the nearly miraculous twin events of the 6-0 goal swing this past weekend and then today's defeat of the top European dogs on a neutral field in an international tournment.

Regardless, I'm much more amped for the World Cup next year now than I was just about a week ago.

USA USA USA.... now only if we can keep 11 men on the field. Although, the Bradley challenge wasn't a red. And just remember... Altidore will only be 20 during the World Cup next year. If we win (which is a huuuuuuuge IF), he can't even come home and have a beer.

What about those two (bad) losses to Brazil and Italy before this, admittedly huge, win?
Who's to say? Italy couldn't close the deal against an Egypt team that the US throttled, and got did by the Brazilians, and these were the defending WC champs and Euro quarter-finalists.

I just want to see the US make the knockout stage again next year, hopefully maybe even a win, and as ugly as those losses were against the two of the better squads in the world, this win over the world's best makes me think those relatively-modest goals are feasible.

Jozy (Altidore) is a beast. I love the way he plays and uses his strength up top. Not many strikers can out-physical physical defenders.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

A physical striker like that can be a huge advantage. I haven't gotten a chance to see these guys play, but the good Reverend speaks for me --

Regardless, I'm much more amped for the World Cup next year now than I was just about a week ago.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I was arguing with some guys over this today...I think given the level of the competition and the talent of the other side and the performance displayed by the US, this is almost definitely the biggest win I've seen from the US since I started following them in the 1990 WC, and that includes the '02 knockout victory against the Tricolores (which I would probably mark as "best"--that was just too much fun for a variety of reasons)

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/9727634/Biggest-U.S.-win-ever?-You-better-believe-it-&gt1=39002

Now, considering the age of our guys, this could really be an exciting portend. That said, RyDogg is right to temper things by remembering how bad they looked just last week.

He scores with his left,

He scores with his right,

That boy Clint Dempsey

Makes Drogba look...

This was the most impressive US win I've seen. Spain have been so good lately, I expected to get beaten pretty badly. Everybody played great, even Conor Casey. Hopefully Bradley has learned from his tactical errors against Italy and Brazil (not to mention Costa Rica and Hondouras) - if so, I think we're in pretty good shape.

I think the Bradley straight red was harsh, but still within the parameters that constitute a red card offense. He came in late, studs up, straight into the opponents ankle. Certainly a card was warranted and the color usually will be yellow, but just not today.

I don't think it's that big of loss because Bradley commits a lot of needless fouls and picks up dumb cards consistently. And this way Feilhaber can start and contribute to the offense and let Ricardo Clark be the holding midfielder, whereas Bradley and Clark essentially have the same skill set.

Overall, this is a great win for the Yanks. After a lackluster first two games that had everyone wondering if the US had taken a step back from the 06 World Cup, the Americans come out with some fight in them and produce two quality wins against two quality opponents. Now if we can just develop some depth to our roster, we will hopefully be able to make a nice run in the World Cup next year.

Oh, and Jay freaking DeMerit, way to represent Green Bay and Wisconsin!

Just saw the instant classic replay... great win for sure, but I'm not even convinced the US was even the better team on the field today. I don't want to detract any more than that from an epic win, however. Nice!

I watched most of the game, I'm not a big soccer fan... but it was nice to watch. I guess I don't really get the offsides rule, if someone would care to explain it to me. Looking forward to the World Cup next year. I hope the USA can be competitive again.

I watched most of the game, I'm not a big soccer fan... but it was nice to watch. I guess I don't really get the offsides rule, if someone would care to explain it to me. Looking forward to the World Cup next year. I hope the USA can be competitive again.
Its sort of like the offside rule in hockey, only the "blue line" moves along with the last defender (the one closest to his own goal line). If you pass to an attacking player further up the pitch, the player receiving the pass cannot be closer to the goal line than the last defender.

I think the Bradley straight red was harsh, but still within the parameters that constitute a red card offense. He came in late, studs up, straight into the opponents ankle. Certainly a card was warranted and the color usually will be yellow, but just not today.

I don't think it's that big of loss because Bradley commits a lot of needless fouls and picks up dumb cards consistently. And this way Feilhaber can start and contribute to the offense and let Ricardo Clark be the holding midfielder, whereas Bradley and Clark essentially have the same skill set.

Here is a link to the foul, I would hesitate to even call a foul on the play. It was a 50/50 ball and he wasn't late and didn't even get the guys ankle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbteeRuMFBE

Michael Bradley is one of the few guys on the national team that can actually possess the ball, he is easily been one of the better more consistent players on the U.S. squad over the last half year or so.

TooLiveBrew, I agree it was pretty obvious that Spain outplayed us by a lot, the US defenders and Tim Howard did a great job of packing it in, and taking advantage of counter attacks.

To add to the description of the off-side rule, you have to be past the half field line to be considered off-side, and when they consider if your off-sides it is when the ball is played.

If you pass to an attacking player further up the pitch, the player receiving the pass cannot be closer to the goal line than the last defender

The ball also trumps the last defender in any situation, so I would amend Diskono's explanation in this manner:

If you pass to an attacking player further up the pitch, the player receiving the pass cannot be closer to the goal line than the last defender or the ball at the time the ball is played (passed, crossed, headed, etc.)

EDIT: Oops, sorry yoshii8, I missed that you explained the ball/offsides thing.

TooLiveBrew, I agree it was pretty obvious that Spain outplayed us by a lot, the US defenders and Tim Howard did a great job of packing it in, and taking advantage of counter attacks.

Howard was nothing short of brilliant. I was overjoyed to see him play so well. Is he still with Everton in the E.P.L.? Our defenders were great, as well. It's funny how successful teams in almost any sport can be that play sound D & are opportunistic (aka lucky http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif) on O

Yep, Howard has been great all season for Everton - second best keeper in the Premier League according to some Win Shares-inspired statistical work I did this season.

Onyewu was supposedly signing with Fenerbahçe in Turkey, wonder if he's earned himself a look at some higher-profile clubs (TBF, the Turkish league is nothing to sneeze at) now? And I suspect Demerit might have get another look in the Premier League now.

To be fair, with some of those calls late yesterday, I'd be confused by the offsides rule, too.

I agree that a performance like that might help Gooch squeeze some more bones out of Fenerbahce at the least. I was really hoping to see him sign with Fulham.

Yep, Howard has been great all season for Everton - second best keeper in the Premier League according to some Win Shares-inspired statistical work I did this season.

I'd be interested in seeing that, Diskono. I have no knowledge about soccer statistics beyond the obvious ones, nor do I have any real statistical prowess, so I wouldn't be able to critique any methodology. But I'd just like to see what you did (maybe link in this thread, as I assume others might be curious too).

Onyewu was supposedly signing with Fenerbahçe in Turkey, wonder if he's earned himself a look at some higher-profile clubs (TBF, the Turkish league is nothing to sneeze at) now? And I suspect Demerit might have get another look in the Premier League now.

The Turkish league certainly doesn't get the attention it probably deserves, but it's kind of the same reason you see a ton of NYY/BOS coverage -- the EPL is where the money is! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I wonder if players like Onyewu & Demerit have even stopped to consider just how much they've upped their professional stock (given the importance & glory of this win over Spain). It must be pretty strange to just go out & do what I'm sure they tend/try to do every game & just happen to have the game be on the largest scale possible. I honestly hope every US player gets looked at harder now by the more prestigious leagues. Imo that's what it is going to take for soccer in America to take off -- the players produced here will have to show they are capable of hanging with the best in the world.

I also thought Landon Donovan played outstanding and showed more heart than anybody on the pitch. I hope he gets to stick w/ Bayern Munich for good, I think thats what he wants and it would probably help him become an even better player.

If someone could edit the thread title, I think it would really help draw attention to the US's success for those that aren't aware.

I'm thinking something like adding, 'US to face winner of Brazil-South Africa in final on June 28th', or 'US to play in final'. This is a landmark accomplishment, & might be the kind of event people point back to years from now (even though as I said, I think Spain outplayed the US)

Just saw the instant classic replay... great win for sure, but I'm not even convinced the US was even the better team on the field today. I don't want to detract any more than that from an epic win, however. Nice!
Spain was clearly the better team. The US just played a better, smarter soccer game.

This game and another strong showing in the final should help grant more American players the opportunity to play for better clubs in Europe. Hopefully Altidore can earn some playing time in Spain, whether its back at Villareal or with Xerez (who got promoted). Id love to see Onyewu find his way into the Prem at Fulham or Birmingham. It'd also be great to see DeMerit get another shot there as well. Charlie Davies has looked really good, and has performed well in Sweden the past few years (it might suit him just to stay there though). I remember reading that Jose Torres might end up in Spain. And hopefully Donovan can stick somewhere in Europe, i think he would flourish in La Liga.

And don't forget, at the World Cup next year the US is going to have German defect Jermaine Jones...who was voted the 4th best midfielder in the Bundesliga last year. Things are looking up, hopefully they play well again on Sunday.

I'd be interested in seeing that, Diskono. I have no knowledge about soccer statistics beyond the obvious ones, nor do I have any real statistical prowess, so I wouldn't be able to critique any methodology. But I'd just like to see what you did (maybe link in this thread, as I assume others might be curious too).

I'm actually in the process of setting up a website with all of my findings, but I've put bits and pieces up on my mostly Fulham-oriented blog. I've always felt that soccer stats thrown around by the media are mostly useless, so I've kind been on a crusade to find and create some more meaningful numbers.

Just want to brag that I played on a conference champion Bay Port HS soccer team, former team of Jay DeMerit and coached by his father. So, yeah. He was graduated for IIRC three years when I began playing.

I DVR'd the game, but couldn't resist checking the score on my phone throughout the day and I have to say I'm still shocked and I took a lot of pleasure in breaking the news to a few of my soccer minded friends. I really hope this isn't a one off, but I agree with whomever said that this makes me even more excited for the WC next year. Heard news that games will be played at 835 and 135 CST, so I'm thinking there will be a few half-days of vacation taken in there.

The strikers did a much better job of getting back and covering ground than they had in the early rounds - they were caught trying to cherry pick and that really changed the way the defense was played for the rest of the team. I really thought that with Spain's ability for pinpoint accuracy through the air, they'd be catching the US unawares. Props to Bradley for altering strategy.

The U.S. will be facing Brazil, who dramatically edged host nation South Africa with a goal from reserve Daniel Alves in the 88th minute on Thursday.

It's out of the frying pan & into the fire for team USA, who will only be asked to knock off the two premier international squads in consecutive matches to take home the trophy.

EDIT: The final match is scheduled for Sunday, June 28th, at 1:30p central time. It appears that ESPN's coverage begins at 1p

Archived