Brewer Fanatic

Hart to Braves for Pitching (Rosenthal Speculation)

Here's the excerpt from Ken Rosenthal's article today:

The Brewers' quest for pitching could lead to renewed talks with the Braves, who in the past have targeted Brewers right fielder Corey Hart. The Braves would need to clear their own right fielder, Jeff Francoeur, before acquiring Hart, and no team is hot after Francoeur.

The problem for the Brewers in trading Hart is their lack of a suitable replacement. Still, the Braves are deep in pitching - and could get even deeper if right-hander Tim Hudson returns from Tommy John surgery in mid-August.

Any possibility we could swing something for Jair Jurrjens? I'm not sure why they'd consider dealing him, but I don't know who else we'd want unless they ate some of Lowe's or Vazquez's contract.

Also, seems like if the sticking point of getting something done is that the Brewers don't have a replacement for Hart and the Braves need to find someone to take Francoeur... the obvious solution is to include him in the deal. What would it take to get a Jurrjens/Francoeur deal done? Hart plus... Jeffress? Parra?

Any other ideas of what might work between the two teams?

The funny thing is that Hall would be an offensive upgrade over their CF. I have a hard time thinking they would give up Jurrgens. What about some of the guys they have in the minors, like Morton or Medlen? Morton doesn't look like much until last year, but has looked good since 2008. Medlen looks good on b-ref, but I don't pretend to be an expert on the minors. Given what little I know, I might do a Hall and Hart trade for Frenchy and one of those two pitchers.

I agree that I'd much rather have Hart than Francoeur, but it'd be great to add another nice young pitcher like Jurrjens. And while Francoeur might not be attractive as a centerpiece to a trade, I would think he might be valuable to a rebuilding team as a throw-in in a deal as a player who's still in arbitration for the next couple years.

Maybe we could swing Francoeur along with a prospect to another team for a bat to replace Hart. The following players could be nice additions (albeit, I have no idea who's actually on the block): Luke Scott (.357/.508/.864), Adam Dunn (.400/.529/.929), Brian Giles (.277/.271/.548, but he's only one year removed from a nice line of .398/.456/.854), or Scott Hairston (.386/.566/.951)

If we could swing a couple deals that landed us Jurrjens + Scott/Dunn/Giles/Hairston for Hart + Parra/Jeffress + a couple second-tier prospects, I'd be all over that. Am I over-valuing Jurrjens?

yes, they wouldn't just trade Hart for pitching and be done. They'd have to swing another trade for an OF, one would think, otherwise you're looking at a Gerut/Hall platoon or bringing Chris Duffy back

I would be thrilled if they could get a great young pitcher for Hart though.

The Braves really did shoot themselves in the foot this off season. They sign Anderson instead of Dunn which was a really big mistake. Dunn would have fixed all of Atlanta's offensive problems they are having right now. Having Jones batting 3rd or 5th in that lineup either in front of Dunn or behind him would have made that lineup a lot more scarier to pitch against.

I would trade Hart and Hall to the Braves for pitching as long as Francouer and a pitcher are coming back in the deal. I wouldn't mind Vazquez and Francouer for Hart and Hall. The Brewers could then trade Francouer to the Royals for DeJesus or Teahen. The Royals were interested in Francouer in the offseason I wonder if they still are interested in him. But then again the Braves would probably just trade for those players if they could sell off Francouer to them.

I don't think Hart could land Jurrjens. Others have already mentioned it, but I immediately thought of Kris Medlen being a fair return. Medlen is MLB ready right now, at least in a bullpen role, and has the upside of a 2-3 starter in my opinion. The Braves might look to dump Anderson's contract too in this deal.

I would be willing to donate my right nut to land Jurrjens or Hansen for Hart! It'd be well worth it for that kind of steal! ha i'd remind me of the steal that the Spurs got in the Jefferson trade yesterday. Thank god I quit following them and basketball. I'd be goin nuts otherwise.

But really looking though their roster it seems pretty tough to be able to land Jair without adding some real nice prospects. I don't see them needing Hall so beside Hart you'd have to add at least Jeffress and a PTBNL in the lower level

Juirrjen

Hart, Jeffress and a player like Haydel (his mid level prospect type)

To add Francouer that will take a Jeffress and a Gindl or Green (high level prospect)

thats just what I think though and I'm am no Doug Melvin so....

If we agreed to take Francouer we could have him for nothing. If all they wanted was Jeffress and a mid level prospect with Hart for Jurjens the deal would already be done.

I like Medlen but I'd want a decent minor leaguer tossed in to do the deal from the Brewers prospective. We seem to always sell our players short on this board.

The first guy I thought of when I saw the thread was Vazquez. 1.5 years of Vazquez for 2.5 years of Hart. It would leave the Braves with a front 4 of Lowe, Jurrjens, Hanson, and Kawakami. It would also mean the Brewers adding roughly $3.5M of salary this year.

Perhaps it could even be expanded to include salary dumps Francouer and Hall, plus a nugget from the Brewers.

I wouldn't mind a solid arm like Vazquez, but according to Cot's he's slated for $11.5 million in 2010. While it'd be great to keep him for a year and a half, I'd be scared of how that pricetag would impact the roster next year. It helps that Cameron's contract will be off the books, but would it mean having to trade Hardy this offseason, rather than just exploring that possibility?

Good thing Melvin gets paid to make these decisions, not me. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Kawakami left tonight's game with a neck injury after being hit by a ball.

There is absolutely no way they trade Jurrjens. Young pitcher with a lot of talent and upside.

I really don't know if they would trade Vazquez either.

Hudson is coming back but he is recovering from elbow surgery. That is a iffy situation right there and I don't think they would trade a pitcher just because Tim Hudson is coming back. I honestly don't think we are going to be doing anything with the Braves.

My gut says never trade Atlanta for pitching... but I kind of like the idea of Vazquez to help bridge the gap to the kids.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I would be willing to donate my right nut to land Jurrjens or Hansen for Hart! It'd be well worth it for that kind of steal! ha i'd remind me of the steal that the Spurs got in the Jefferson trade yesterday. Thank god I quit following them and basketball. I'd be goin nuts otherwise.

But really looking though their roster it seems pretty tough to be able to land Jair without adding some real nice prospects. I don't see them needing Hall so beside Hart you'd have to add at least Jeffress and a PTBNL in the lower level

Juirrjen

Hart, Jeffress and a player like Haydel (his mid level prospect type)

To add Francouer that will take a Jeffress and a Gindl or Green (high level prospect)

thats just what I think though and I'm am no Doug Melvin so....

First the Bucks didnt get hosed in the deal, they needed a much much much cap relief and RJ was the one they moved (instead of Gadz or Redd) for expiring contracts so they can afford to resign Sessions, Ersan, and/or CV. This was a smart move by the Bucks.

Second I like your trade proposal, I dont know why but have pretty much given up on Jeffress and wouldnt mind seeing him leave and I would hope to get Francour back in a trade or another starting OF and not go with a platoon of Cat/Gerut.

What happened to Francouer? He had 103 RBI's at the age of 22, and in '07 at the age of 23 he had 105 RBI's and a .782 OPS (granted not a great OPS but certainly "major league capable")

By the way, I agree Hart is superior to Francouer. He certainly has much better stats.

my fear with trading Hart is that it could be like Cleveland trading Sexson when they did. They give up a young promising hitter (that hadn't broken through) and acquired some pitching.

I can't see Atlanta blowing up their rotation for a guy that is only slightly better than the guy they already have. This is just Rosenthal playing fantasy baseball, and I don't think he is particularily good at it. I think the Brewers will continue to monitor the situation in Seattle with Washburn.

I can't see Atlanta blowing up their rotation for a guy that is only slightly better than the guy they already have. This is just Rosenthal playing fantasy baseball, and I don't think he is particularily good at it. I think the Brewers will continue to monitor the situation in Seattle with Washburn.
I would rather have Bedard than Washburn. Washburn screams left handed version of Suppan/Looper. The Brewers do not need another #4 or #5 starter count me out on Washburn that ship has sailed I don't care that he is from Wisconsin that doesn't help the Brewers at all.

Archived