Brewer Fanatic

Bucks trade Jefferson to Spurs

PrinceFielder28
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a very good trade -- clearly a salary dump and the first step to completely rebuilding. As trwi7 said, Oberto and Bowen will not play for the Bucks. I'm now crossing my fingers for that Redd to Washington deal, and maybe Ridnour will be jettisoned before the draft? In the mean time, I expect the Bucks to be atrocious next season.

It's a very good trade -- clearly a salary dump and the first step to completely rebuilding. As trwi7 said, Oberto and Bowen will not play for the Bucks. I'm now crossing my fingers for that Redd to Washington deal, and maybe Ridnour will be jettisoned before the draft? In the mean time, I expect the Bucks to be atrocious next season.
I don't think they'll be atrocious. If Bogut and Redd are healthy, along with these other pieces, they'll be a below-average team. Not something you want to build your marketing campaign around "Your Milwaukee Bucks- at least we're only below-average" but I don't think they'll be atrocious either.

I disagree.

LRMAM is a way better defender and rebounder than RJ, and he'll be the one getting the majority of his old minutes. If Bogut stays healthy all year that's a huge upgrade from the ELson/Gadz combo we had to endure during his absence. Joe Alexander can't get any worse than he was last year. Sessions should improve. Iylasova might be coming back, and supposedly is a damn good prospect. I'm expecting to get a good player at 10 (Jrue Holiday please). And to top all that off, Skiles is a really good coach who's teams routinely overachieve.

You're probably right -- I wasn't implying that being 'atrocious' would be a bad thing, anyways. However, we'll have to wait and see if LRMAM is sent to the Wizards as part of a possible Redd deal. No guarantees about Bogut staying healthy the entire season, either. I will seriously raise a glass once all of the dead weight is shipped out of town.

Dumping Simmons (as you say) was a very up-side to the Yi deal.

As far as next year...I suspect the Bucks will wins some game (if Redd and Bogut can play) but stuggle to score and depth will be an obvious issue. But, with lower 1/2 of the East, you never know.

As a former Bucks fan who has adopted the Spurs, I think this trade will help the Spurs. The struggle once that once Manu went down (as he pretty much does yearly), there wasn't another consistent scoring option other than Tony and Tim. Bowen's defense will be missed, and hopefully the Bucks to do release him and let him come back here. He's a genuinely good guy, and really enjoyed San Antonio.

Bucks have traded Oberto to Pistons for Amir Johnson. Not sure what thread to put that in, but I like this deal a lot more now. I know Amir hasn't done a ton his first few years in the league, but he's only 22 and has quite a bit of upside in my opinion. Johnson may not pan out, but at least it's a guy with upside. He's also a free agent after this year.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/48933597.html

Glad that smart people who follow the Bucks like this move. I've really completely lost any passion I had for the NBA & the Bucks. And I was a huge Bucks fan growing up (beginning with the pre-Big Dog era/timeframe)
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It wasn't too long ago that the Bucks were freeing up salary cap space. What did they do with it? Overpay for garbage like Simmons and Gadz. I don't know what the Bucks are better at: screwing up drafts or overpaying the wrong players.

overpaying the wrong players.

Well hopefully they learn to draft better in the first round (let's not say the Bucks suck at drafting...they've found some decent picks in the 2nd round over the years). I would also think that most teams aren't as good at drafting in the NBA since it's become such a potential type process and good college players get overlooked if they don't have the measurements. They'll have to overpay bad players to come to Milwaukee and the good ones aren't going to come. I hate to say that, but IMO it's true. A good player isn't going to Milwaukee on choice alone.

Hmmm.

There are rumors going around that Bowen might be in the Bucks plans? That would be downright silly, and make me believe Hammond might be the biggest idiot of all-time. There are only a handful of non-guaranteed contracts in the NBA. He was gift-wrapped two (Oberto and Bowen), and proceeded to trade away one, and now might keep the other?!?!

Hmmm.

There are rumors going around that Bowen might be in the Bucks plans? That would be downright silly, and make me believe Hammond might be the biggest idiot of all-time. There are only a handful of non-guaranteed contracts in the NBA. He was gift-wrapped two (Oberto and Bowen), and proceeded to trade away one, and now might keep the other?!?!

I thought Bowen's contract was 50% guaranteed. They've already traded Oberto, and could also drop Thomas, so why not keep Bowen? If they release him they pay 50% of his salary and likely spend the other 50% trying to find a replacement that doesn't completely suck. He's still a good defender and the gritty type of player Skiles loves. He could teach the young guys a few things and be a nice bench player for the Bucks. Also, if his play doesn't fall off a cliff, they may be able to turn him into a 2nd round pick at the trade deadline next season.

I have a feeling the Bucks will keep Bowen and Thomas, dump Allen and possibly trade Bell. I hope they let both Sessions and Villanueva go and draft a point guard. I think Sessions' lack of a decent jump shot makes him expendable and Villanuava's lack of defense for a guy his size puts him in the same boat. Next year could be rough, but Hammonds comes from a good teacher in Joe Dumars (minus the Iverson trade), and has the knowledge to build a team through the draft and smart free agent signings.

They need to release Bowen. Bowen's defense is way overrated, Mbah a Moute is younger and better. I don't think Thomas' contract is partially guaranteed like Bowens' is, and he's still a good player anyway. I hope they keep him, we need a better backup center.

I'm starting to wonder if Malik Allen might re-think that player option now? Not that he'd get better offers anywhere else, but he'd probably be 4th choice at best at PF/C, and that's not even counting minutes that LRMaM or Joe Alexander may get:

PF: Johnson/Thomas/Illyasova?/Elson/Allen

C: Bogut/Thomas/Gadz/Elson/Allen

I have a feeling that another trade will happen though, so we'll see.

this move was made because of mistakes by larry harris and herb kohl. It seems like every restricted FA that they match an offer sheet on fails. Usually when they bring in a FA he fails too. Also trades made by Harris were unfavorable. The only way is that bucks can compete is again is to do what the brewers are doing / did and draft good players. I think Sessions has a chance to be good and would hope that this trade allows them to bring him back. If CV leaves I won't loose any sleep over it. Hopefully by Kohl bringing in Hammond and Skiles its a sign he won't meddle as much and allow the them to do what they need to make the team better.

I like the Oberto for Johnson trade. Getting Johnson for a guy we were probably going to release anyway is very good. As already mentioned Johnson's only 22 and still has a lot of upside. He gives us a young player to act as insurance in case we can't resign Villanueva. Overall, I think these trade will be fine.

I can see them keeping Bowen as a mentor to LRMAM. Bowen knows a lot about the mental side of defending. While a lot of that is dirty (I've always felt he's been the dirtiest player in the game over the past 10 years.) a lot is also sound technique and just smart play. Bowen could also give us another three point shooter off the bench. He's always been a nice three point shooter.

Bowen isn't a good player and LRMAM is already a good defender. He doesn't need mentoring and besides, that's what we paid the coaching staff for. I'll be furious if Bowen is on the roster next year.

Bowen isn't a good player and LRMAM is already a good defender. He doesn't need mentoring and besides, that's what we paid the coaching staff for. I'll be furious if Bowen is on the roster next year.
I agree, Bowen is definitely not worth keeping, he is really bad.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Malik Allen = Kurt Thomas

I'll explain: A few years ago, both players were good role players for their teams (Heat and Knicks). Now both are over the hill players that have limited roles on the team. Perhaps Thomas is better than Allen straight up (can't say that I have followed either career too closely for the past couple years). But its not a drastic difference.

I understand there is some work to undo the poor cap managment of the past, but it is frustrating to see a complete tear-down again. It makes me wonder if the coach/GM will be around long enough for the build-up portion of this tear-down.

Kurt Thomas averaged 18 minutes a game last year and 23 the year before for the Spurs, isn't that considered a good role player? Malik Allen is an awful player, I'm not sure if you have seen both of them play recently but Thomas is much better.

Now the Timberwolves trade for the #5 pick in the draft and are looking to trade their other 1st round picks the 6th, 18th, and 28th pick to get the 2nd pick.

Link to the story at ESPN

I wish the Bucks had the players to trade to the Wizards for that #5 pick.

Jeez how the heck did they get so many picks? If they don't trade #6 they are going to have 4 of the top 28 picks? That is ridiculous.

Perhaps Thomas is better than Allen straight up (can't say that I have followed either career too closely for the past couple years). But its not a drastic difference.
It's just not even a comparison. Thomas is 10 times better than Allen.

More efficient scorer, better rebounder, better man defender, better shot blocker and this is at age 36 to Allen's age 30. There's just not a comparison.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=allenma01&y1=2009&p2=thomaku01&y2=2009

Jeez how the heck did they get so many picks? If they don't trade #6 they are going to have 4 of the top 28 picks? That is ridiculous.
The 6th pick is their own, they just got the 5th pick from Washington yesterday for Foye and Miller, they got the 18th pick from Miami when they traded Ricky Davis and Mark Blount there for Antoine Walker, Wayne Simien and Michael Doleac and they got the 28th pick from Boston in the Garnett trade.

Archived