Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Tue. 6/23 -- Helena Gets Underway; Manny Faces Manny

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Tuesday's Daily Menu:

All times Central; pitchers subject to change --

Link here for the live audio choices - audio will no longer archive.

Sorry, no audio available for this Brevard County series...

Nashville: LHP Manny Parra at Albuquerque (Dodgers), 7:40 PM pre-game; 8:05 gametime

Huntsville: RHP Donovan Hand at home vs. Chattanooga (Dodgers), 6:45 PM pre-game; 7:00 gametime

Brevard County: RHP Mark Rogers at home vs. Dunedin (Blue Jays), 6:05 PM gametime

Wisconsin: Idle until Thursday; Midwest League All-Star Game Saturday night, 6:35 PM -- links, including audio, and details in the Timber Rattlers' own Brewerfan thread

Helena: RHP Nick Bucci at home vs. Missoula (Diamondbacks), 7:50 PM pre-game; 8:05 gametime

Arizona Summer League: Idle

Dominican Summer League Brewers / Orioles: at home vs. the DSL Giants (see this thread for some roster background) -- all games are 10:30 local time in the Dominican, and no need to ask about web audio; we usually won't see updated box scores until the overnight...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Follow Tuesday's action as it happens:

Here's what you do, right click on each of the links below and choose "Open in New Tab or New Window". Choose "Recap". While you're listening to your minor league game of choice (or watching/listening to the big league Crew when they are playing), simply refresh your game log browsers every so often.

MiLB.com now has Gameday available for AA as well as AAA this season.

Nashville:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2009_06_23_nasaaa_albaaa_1

Huntsville:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t559&t=g_box&gid=2009_06_23_cngaax_hunaax_1

Brevard County:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t503&t=g_box&gid=2009_06_23_dunafa_breafa_1

Helena:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2009_06_23_misrok_helrok_1

Dominican Summer League Brewers / Orioles:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&gid=2009_06_23_dgirok_dobrok_1&cid=3130&t=g_box

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Nashville fans willing to pay the associated fee can watch the Albuquerque series this weekend via MiLB.TV.

This link will be included in each daily report when the Nashville Sounds are scheduled to play. Normally it is updated a few hours prior to gametime.

Nashville Media Notes (Adobe .pdf format):

We're going to include the link to Kraig McNutt's Nashville blog in the same post as the Nashville media notes link going forward.

AAA All-Star voting is here with your MiLB.com online account.

Time is running out -- vote through the 26th.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
 Pacific Coast League (AAA) - PCL American North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Nashville 41 30 .577 - 23-15 18-15 L2 Iowa 38 33 .535 3.0 21-15 17-18 W2 Memphis 32 38 .457 8.5 19-15 13-23 L2 Omaha 27 43 .386 13.5 11-21 16-22 L2 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Southern League (AA) - SOU North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Huntsville 1 0 1.000 - 0-0 0-0 W2 Tennessee 1 0 1.000 - 0-0 1-0 W4 Carolina 0 1 .000 1.0 0-1 0-0 L4 Chattanooga 0 1 .000 1.0 0-0 0-1 L1 West Tenn 0 1 .000 1.0 0-0 0-1 L1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Florida State League (A+) - FSL North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Brevard County 40 22 .645 - 15-12 25-10 L4 Daytona 33 31 .516 8.0 16-13 17-18 W2 Clearwater 31 33 .484 10.0 15-17 16-16 L1 Dunedin 31 34 .477 10.5 12-21 19-13 W1 Tampa 29 36 .446 12.5 15-21 14-15 W1 Lakeland 27 35 .435 13.0 15-19 12-16 L2 

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

Miscik likes Stars at halfway juncture

By Paul Gattis

Huntsville Times Sports Staff

More than once this season, Huntsville Stars manager Bob Miscik has said he's never had a team quite like this one.

"True professionals," Miscik said Monday. "They come here and do their job. I don't need to stand here next to them. ... They prepare professionally and when the game starts, they go about their business the right way.

"They have done it from Day 1 and have not stopped. That's why they won the first half."

And after clinching the first-half championship in the Southern League's North Division, the Stars celebrated like, well, champs.

"It was the best celebration I've been a part of," Miscik said. "This was a good one."

The Stars began Sunday in a first-place tie with Carolina. And after defeating Birmingham 8-3, the Stars followed the Mudcats' 8-6 loss to Tennessee via the Internet on the bus ride home.

"We were cheering for guys we play against," Stars third baseman Taylor Green said. "It was a great bus trip."

Said outfielder Adam Stern, "It was a little nerve-wracking."

The Stars' bus pulled into Joe Davis Stadium just before Carolina's loss was complete. And the party got started in the stadium's picnic area.

It was a strange sight - music blasting through an empty stadium except for 24 players and the coaching staff spraying each other with champagne.

"It was a lot of fun," catcher Jonathan Lucroy said. "It was unbelievable. It was fun to be able to celebrate like that - especially after all the hard work we've put in this year."

Indeed, Lucroy confessed to enjoying himself Sunday night.

"I was one of the craziest ones of the night," Lucroy said. "It was a lot of fun."

But Lucroy wasn't alone.

"(Reliever) Mike McClendon picked me up and I had a beer in my hands," Lucroy said. "He held me up like a little kid and I was pouring beer on his face and he was loving it."

When Lucroy got his hands on the karaoke microphone, though, the reviews were brutal.

"It had to be Lucroy's rendition of 'A Country Boy Can Survive,'" Stern said of the wildest thing he saw Sunday night. "It was an embarrassment. It was one of those things we should almost never bring up again."

Anything in the name of fun.

"I don't claim to be a good singer," Lucroy said. "Let's just say I was a little out of whack. I wasn't in my usual form last night. I was a little distracted from doing a good job."

It was a championship worth celebrating, Miscik said. He pointed out the Stars had to play seven doubleheaders in the first half and played 39 road games while playing just 30 home games.

And in the 69 games the Stars played in the first half, 10 came against Birmingham - which has more wins than any team in the minor leagues.

"We deserved it, based on what we had to do," Miscik said. "We deserved it and we earned it."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Manny Ramirez's return starts vs. Sounds

Suspended slugger to begin rehab stint today as an Isotope

By Maurice Patton

THE TENNESSEAN

The stadium will be jam-packed. Flashbulbs will be popping from all directions, and hordes of reporters will be on hand, reporting the game in various languages for audiences all over the world.

Tonight's won't be just any Sounds road game.

Manny Ramirez, suspended 50 games last month for violating Major League Baseball's ban on performance-enhancing drugs, is scheduled to begin a 10-game minor league assignment tonight with the Triple-A Albuquerque Isotopes, before rejoining the Los Angeles Dodgers on July 3.

And despite entering with the Pacific Coast League's second-best record, the Sounds understand they won't be the most notable visitors at Albuquerque's Isotopes Park this week.

"We'll just go out there and do our normal thing," Sounds Manager Don Money said. "Hopefully we don't help him get ready too much."

Ramirez, 37, likely will play at least three games of the four-game series against the Sounds, then conclude his minor league stint with the Inland Empire 66ers, the Dodgers' Single-A affiliate in San Bernardino, Calif., about an hour east of Los Angeles.

"I can't speak for everybody, but you always want to face big leaguers," said Nashville right-hander Tim Dillard, who is scheduled to start the second game of the series on Wednesday. "That's how you're going to get better. I think everybody's excited. I'm excited."

The outfielder has been working out regularly at Dodger Stadium for the past month. But the major league team doesn't want to take any chances. Ramirez struggled with a tight hamstring before the season after signing late and participating in a shortened spring training.

"It's just a matter of competing," Torre told Dodgers.mlb.com. "I think it's the idea of going and playing a game and sort of getting himself acclimated to that.

"Do I think he could play without embarrassing himself? Yes. But it's best to just play games and get acclimated. I think that's important. He doesn't need to put up numbers."

If all goes well, Ramirez will be ready to return to the big leagues against National League Western Division rival San Diego.

Though the Sounds will take second billing to the "Manny Being Manny" road show, Nashville's players are focused on limiting Ramirez's production during his Albuquerque stay.

"Back in '06 (with Double-A Huntsville), I faced (Atlanta Braves third baseman) Chipper Jones in a rehab assignment," Dillard recalled. "I struck him out the first at-bat, and in the second he almost took my head off. I think the day after, he went back to Atlanta and hit three home runs.

"There was a lot of hype and all, but I think he went at it looking to get better, and I think Manny will be trying to do the same thing - see some pitches and take some hacks."

But no one could recall the last time the Sounds played in a similar atmosphere. Plenty of hoopla surrounded the Sounds game in 2002, when John Rocker came to Nashville with the Oklahoma RedHawks, attempting to revive his career after making controversial remarks about New Yorkers.

A year earlier, the St. Louis Cardinals' Rick Ankiel came to town, seeking to regain command of his pitches after his stellar career took a bizarre turn when he was unable to find the strike zone.

Neither was close to Ramirez's caliber of superstardom.

He's 17th on the all-time home run list with 533, second-most all time with 20 career grand slams and before the failed drug test, was a consensus Hall of Famer.

Through 27 games before the suspension, the 17-year veteran was hitting .348 with six home runs and 20 RBIs.

"We know he's a very good hitter," Money said. "We hope he doesn't hurt us too badly. We'll just go about our business."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brewers kick off season at home against Missoula

By JASON SCOTT - Helena Independent Record

Every Pioneer League season starts with some amount of questions. Will the Great Falls Voyagers return to take another Pioneer League crown? Will the Helena Brewers get off to a better start than they did last year?

For Brewers manager Rene Gonzales, conditions are right in the Brewers' clubhouse for a successful year. Whether that translates to a hot start and a winning record remains to be seen.

"It's hard to know what will happen," Gonzales said. "But I think we're in good shape."

The season starts today, as the Brewers play host to the Osprey at 7:05 PM (8:05 Central) at Kindrick Legion Field.

There is plenty of competition around the league, including the Voyagers in the north and the Orem Owlz, who won the South Division last year. Also in the mix will be the Missoula Osprey, who are trying to rebound after an off year, and the Ogden Raptors, who find themselves under new coach Damon Berryhill.

"We always expect competitive teams out of Great Falls and Billings in our division, becuase they have lower-level rookie team like us," said Steve Wendt, director of media relations and broadcasting, who watched as the Brewers played to a 35-41 record last year. "And, this year, Missoula. They have a lot of high draft picks. They should be a much improved team."

The Brewers have a good mix of new players and returners from last year. Leading the Pioneer League veterans is Cutter Dykstra, who moved to second base during the offseason.

Dykstra and his teammates might have a better chance this year after the first Helena minicamp in years. Getting to the Queen City early has, by all accounts, helped the players and coaches figure out what they have to work with.

The Brewers have several top prospects vying for playing time this season. Milwaukee's No. 1 draft pick, Eric Arnett, is one of the must-watch players on the Helena squad.

Offensively, look for the Brewers to play with increased speed and intensity this year.

Centerfielder Derrick McPhearson might be the fastest player in the league, according to Gonzales.

"(McPhearson) is a football player, which doesn't always translate to baseball," Gonzales said. "He's made great strides. Hopefully he can keep moving forward."

Gonzales also added that the corner outfielders, Chris Ellington and Scott Krieger, should provide a powerful punch in the middle of the lineup. At shortstop, Josh Prince will look to hold down the infield. At the plate, he looks to be a good top-of-the-order batter who makes good contact and might be able to steal a few bases this year, according to Gonzales.

The Brewers' skipper explained that he thinks his team has a very good chance this year.

"We've got the right guys at good positions," Gonzales said. "Everyone fills in nicely around them. They all complement each other."

Still, predicting what the other teams will bring to the table is nearly impossible to do.

"Every year, you expect to see good teams out here, talented players, and I don't think this year will be any different," Wendt said.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Kindrick gets a makeover

By JASON SCOTT - Helena Independent Record

The Brewers are starting the season fresh in more ways than one.

Several improvements have been made to Kindrick Legion Field, thanks to a city parks bond that originally slated $1.2 million for the park. The park got new lights, a revamped clubhouse and press box, a new scoreboard display and a freshly painted outfield fence, which includes shiny new advertisements. More additions are planned, including a sun shade for the picnic area located atop the third base dugout.

One of the biggest changes occured in the Brewers' clubhouse.

"It's like night and day," Brewers pitcher Chad Robinson said of the clubhouse. "It looks way better."

Formerly cramped and oddly arranged, the changing room has been completely redone. The lockers are now located against the walls and the shower is no longer the focal point of the room.

"The only thing I recognize is the bathroom," said catcher Derrick Alfonso. "We're all pretty impressed with the way things are looking."

The field has seen improvements as well. Groundskeeper Ryan Woodley worked on all parts of the playing surface throughout the spring. The infield, pitcher's mound and basepaths have been redone, as well as the warning track, which just recently got new dirt. Even the outfield grass needed help, as it was laced with ants. Last week, the Brewers had the area sprayed and the ants are a thing of the past.

Woodley recieved more work last week when a water main broke behind the mound. He had it fixed within a day, though he's still working to make sure all the problems are addressed.

"All that rain really helped," Woodley said. "It looks pretty good. "I made sure I got everything major done before (the Brewers) got here."

The management has had nice things to say about the improvements, as well.

"By and large, a really nice job with the clubhouse," director of broadcasting and media relations Steve Wendt said. "(Kindrick) is better for the players, the fans, everyone."

The new scoreboard is displayed at Kindrick Legion Field. The scoreboard has a feature which allows the names of the teams playing to be changed before each game. It is just one of a number of renovations the ballpark made during the offseason. (Photo by Lisa Kunkel Independent Record)

http://www.helenair.com/content/articles/2009/06/23/sports/local/60spl_090623_kindrick.jpg

Mark Rogers went 3 innings tonight, 6K's, 1 er allowed on a HR. Roque Mercedes with 2 scoreless & hitless innings with 2 K's. Really would like to see Mercedes get bumped up to Huntsville as he would need to be a 40 man addition after this season.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
I apologize if this has already been discussed at some point, but why hasn't R. Mercedes started any games this year? I see he started 13 games last year in WV. Is he going to be used strictly as a reliever for now on?

Roque has finally found consistency in his relief niche. He'll be there going forward.

Chris Ellington and Garfield get on the board with their first pro hits, and Josh Prince notches the first of many steals. Great first inning for Bucci, who appears to have become a sleeper of sorts.

EDIT: And wow, what got into Lucas Luetge? He allowed the go-ahead run in the 8th, but he struck out eight in three innings of relief.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Welcome back to the Link Report, where, for at least for now, you can find respite from the T-Ball brand of baseball being played in Miller Park tonight.

Final: Dunedin (Blue Jays) 2, Brevard County 1

Brevard County Box Score

Caleb Gindl reached on an error in an 8th inning pinch-hit appearanace, so whatever ails him must be minor; this Dunedin club leads the league in offensive strikeouts, and the Manatees piled on, fanning 17; while it doesn't mention an injury, Carlos Corporan was removed from the game immediately after a runner crossed the plate in the 8th (home plate collision?) -- Michael Roberts, who was the designated hitter, donned the mask -- the Manatees lost the DH, prompting Gindl's pinch-hit appearance; you would think Anderson Delarosa could have been brought in to catch as well; oh, did we mention the Manatees had only one base hit, Lee Haydel's single in the 4th?

Brevard County Game Log

Dan Meadows and Wily Peralta each pitched perfect thirds of an inning in the MWL All-Star game, with Peralta striking out his man. Corey Kemp pinch hit and popped out, remaining in the game at catcher, and Lawrie's in the game as a defensive replacement as well.

Archived