Brewer Fanatic

Sell, sell, sell?

However it happens, I just feel as though the team is going to need some serious overhauling for '10. I don't think that nibbling around the edges with a few reclamation projects is going to do the trick. If selling now can put the team in position for '10 (or even '11), then I'm for it, if only because the '09 is looking pretty grim.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only problem with selling people like Cam, Looper and Trevor is the return and loss of production we would see. We finally have a great closer, the best as a matter of fact on a cheap contract yet people don't want to try and retain him next year. Cameron has stellar defense with an above-average stick, something we can not substitute this year or next (at least in our system). Looper has been better than I anticipated. He has had a few very bad outings that kill his statistics, but as a #4-5 pitcher I am quite satisfied.

Unless we can fill their positions with a better option, selling certain players now has no benefit to us this year or next. As a different poster posted in the 'Trade X for...' (Pogo I believe?) selling is only worthwhile if we get someone good in return. The players that would do that are Braun, Fielder, Gamel. Hardy and Gallardo. Sure trade Hardy, but do not touch the others.

I don't think there is much debate anymore. Our staff is a mess, and CV is officially our best option to start today. Now it's just a matter of who can we trade without hurting ourselves next year. Trading for a couple of decent prospects and watching them play with Escobar and Gamel would at least be a little exciting. I'd rather watch a legit pitching prospect get hit around in the majors than Suppan or CV. We still have two more months of baseball to play and our bullpen is already dying. If we save some money now maybe we can reinvest it in the off-season and bring in a quality starter to pair with Yo considering Suppan and Hall's contracts come off the books after next season. We have the offense and if our starters could go more than 5 innings our BP wasn't that bad either.

1 good young pitcher and I like the team quite a bit coming into next season, 2 would be really nice, but I'm not sure that's possible. I'd like some depth in case Bush doesn't come back effective. If he does and we can somehow get 2 quality pitchers, punt Suppan to the pen for his final season in Milwaukee and go with 4 younger guys plus Bush.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

It would be nice to make a trade for a long term pitching solution, because no one can convince me Melvin will be able to land anyone better than a Looper type again this off-season.

I'd kick the tires on guys like Ian Snell at this point. Young guys who will be under control for a few years that might not take too much to get.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm definitely for selling at this point. I'd take what we can get for Cameron and Hoffman. If for some reason a team is interested in any of our pitchers besides Gallardo and Parra I'd do that too. I think we should wait until the offseason to unload Hardy and Hart. Maybe trade Corey if a good offer is there, but I'd hold off on JJ. I think the return on him will be bigger in the offseason eventhough he'd have half a year less than right now. More teams would be in the mix and maybe there's some hope he can put together a nice streak and pull up that average.

However if I were to bet on what will actually happen, I'd place everything on a trade not being made either way.

At this point I will actually be dissappointed if we don't sell to get some pieces for next year and beyond. If we aren't going to make the playoffs what is the point of hanging on to guys like Cameron, Hardy, Looper and Hart? It seems pretty apparent that they aren't in our long term plans anyways.

I advocate doing noting. Even if we were to sell, Hoffman and Cameron would be good guys to hold onto. Hoffman should at the very least bring back a sandwich pick. Keeping Cameron at worst probably brings back a pick, at best keeps him on good terms with us and allows us to bring him back for another year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The Giants were looking at Freddy Sanchez but don't want his contract next year. Time to ship out Lopez!
This is what I was thinking. If Melvin can flip him for more than he gave up to get him its a no-brainer.

I just don't see any way the Brewers resign Cameron next year, unless he takes a big pay cut. By my count, the Brewers could drop Counsell, Kendall, Cameron, Gerut, Hoffman and still have about $75 million tied up in the remaining 20 players.

Internal cheap candidates in Cain, if healthy or Corey Hart.

Not a lot of free agents at CF. Coco Crisp, Roco Baldelli, Johnny Damon come to mind, but the list is very thin indeed.

Yuck yuck and yuck. Damon can't play CF anymore, Baldelli is the definition of injury prone, and Crisp is just not very good. Cameron even at his age is better than all of those players even Hart.

We could throw Bill Hall out there. Maybe not a good idea to more the best 3rd baseman in the league, but we have some 3rd base depth. Ankiel would be another option, but he's annoying. Marlon Byrd would fit in pretty well in CF too. Cam is going to be 38 and I don't want him to play every day out there.
Formerly Andersoc420

just a Question any chance the kid that palys CF in Nashville have any potential?
I'm assuming you are talking about Jason Bourgeois. I don't know much about him other than he's 27 yrs old and has bounced around the minors his entire career. He got his first big league experience last year with the White Sox. Doesn't walk much for a lead-off hitter, but doesn't strike out much either. Good stats this year in AAA but I have no idea how that would translate to the big leagues. He'll probably be a September call-up this year.

Adam Stern another MiLB pickup is quietly having an excellent season for Huntsville while they waited on Lo Cain, he's a Lefty at the plate, he might have shown enough to get a Spring Training invite next season.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

FWIW, this was at the end of TH's latest blog posting:

"I have heard no trade rumors over the last 24 hours. Doug Melvin is bunkered in with his staff and not returning phone calls. They're probably trying to figure out what makes sense at this point with the team foundering so badly."

Archived