Brewer Fanatic

Sell, sell, sell?

When the Brewers have some .700 OPS guy who plays average to below average defense in CF people will realize what a great Brewer Cameron has been. I just dont understand how he gets lumped in with the likes of Suppan and Hall as a "bad contract". Cameron has been worth every penny we have paid him and more. I would like to see him back next season but I would consider trading him if we got the right package.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why can't the Brewers risk bringing him back at $10m+?

Because that's more than the market price for 37 year old outfielders that average around .250 with 70-75 RBI hitting in the middle of the lineup. Ibanez got $10.5 million per year after averaging 112 RBI the 3 previous seasons. Abreu got $5 million.

Garrett Anderson is, was, and always has been a better hitter than Cameron. Now when Cameron was stealing 25-30 bases, he might have been nearly as valuable offensively. Anderson got $2.5 million, all for his offense, from Atlanta as a 37 year old. Based on that, I'd peg Cameron's offense to be worth around $2 million. Now his defense is probably worth $2-3 million added to that, but that's still a far cry from $10 million.

I was watching "Quick Pitch" this morning, and when they showed the WC race, the Brewers weren't even on the first page. The team is currently 4th in the division and 7th in the WC. True, they aren't many games back in either, and a hot week or two could change things considerably for the better. But if we were just talking about "Generic Team X" in this situation, I'd be inclined to say, "It's time to start thinking about selling."
With so many potential "buyers" out there this year, it might be a pretty shrewd move to become sellers if the market remains artificially high for talent at the deadline. It certainly wouldn't hurt to at least listen to offers for Hoffman and Hardy. I would be less inclined to move Hart and Cameron, since there really isn't a clear succession plan for either of those two right now.
Gruber Lawffices

Very simply you need that $10 million to use on pitching. Cameron, Kendall and Looper could buy you a pretty good upgrade, maybe that gets us back in the Peavey derby. I just can't see Cameron and a frontline starter being on the same team from a salary perspective.

Not hating on Cameron at all, if he can bring a AA prospect pitcher with a shot at being a #3 type starter then you most definitely do that deal.

Going into the off-season it will be easier to find a CF than a #2 or better starter.

Very simply you need that $10 million to use on pitching. Cameron, Kendall and Looper could buy you a pretty good upgrade, maybe that gets us back in the Peavey derby. I just can't see Cameron and a frontline starter being on the same team from a salary perspective.

Not hating on Cameron at all, if he can bring a AA prospect pitcher with a shot at being a #3 type starter then you most definitely do that deal.

Going into the off-season it will be easier to find a CF than a #2 or better starter.

I do like the idea of clearing some salary and going after Peavy in the offseason. That would be something I can get behind.

The Brewers will not be sellers before the trade deadline. Attanasion said as much himself last night during the game, so it's pretty much an exercise in futility to even talk about it.

Why can't the Brewers risk bringing him back at $10m+?

Because that's more than the market price for 37 year old outfielders that average around .250 with 70-75 RBI hitting in the middle of the lineup. Ibanez got $10.5 million per year after averaging 112 RBI the 3 previous seasons. Abreu got $5 million.

Garrett Anderson is, was, and always has been a better hitter than Cameron. Now when Cameron was stealing 25-30 bases, he might have been nearly as valuable offensively. Anderson got $2.5 million, all for his offense, from Atlanta as a 37 year old. Based on that, I'd peg Cameron's offense to be worth around $2 million. Now his defense is probably worth $2-3 million added to that, but that's still a far cry from $10 million.

It's a far cry from 10 million why, exactly? Because you repeatedly say so? You can't be seriously comparing Cameron to Ibanez or Abreu? Cameron is above average defensively in CENTER while those two are below average defensive CORNER outfielders. Cameron has been a bargain both seasons he's been with the Brewers. This really is well documented, but it seems at this point that you're set in your Cameron-hating ways.

They don't have to sell off any real key pieces, but it might be worth exploring trading a couple guys that will be free agents after this season, or trading someone like Hardy who won't be under control much longer and has a replacement waiting in the wings.
Exactly. This isn't a fire-sale. I've only suggested trading players who are not in the organizations long term plans such that the team (built around the core of Gallardo, Braun, Escobar, Prince, Gamel, and maybe Parra, Salome, Braddock, and Lucroy) is better positioned to win in 2011 or even 2010.

Cameron is a good player. there's no question about that, but that's also why it would be a good time to trade him. He has value to contending teams and a reasonable short-term contract. He's the perfect acquisition for the stretch run given his power and defensvie prowess, and as such should return good value. Same with Hardy. He's a good, affordable player, but with Escobar ready he's expendable as long as he returns useful parts in a trade.

Finally, if the GM refuses to make a move that will help the team in the long run simply because he is worried about fan reaction, then he probably won't be a GM for long. I think that most knowledgeable baseball fans now realize the economic value of youg talent and building from within. Not long ago the average fan would love to get Victor Zambrano for some kid like Scott Kazmir down the stretch, but the proliferation of prospecting in the mainstream baseball media has made even the casual fans cling to top prospects, even if they know nothing about them. Yeah, selling htis year might reduce attendance this year and next, but building a perennial playoff and even championship contender in the process will easily recoup that revenue in the long term.

The Brewers will not be sellers before the trade deadline. Attanasion said as much himself last night during the game, so it's pretty much an exercise in futility to even talk about it.
I hope that was just owner-speak and not a genuine reflection of how the team is going to approach the next week.

Still, I guess I can see the point of holding off when there are15 games over roughly the next month against the Padres and Nationals.

In what universe is Garret Anderson the better hitter? Anderson's career line: .296/.327/.468. Cameron's career line .250/.341/.448 despite playing in tough pitchers parks every year since 2000. Anderson last year hit .293/.325/.461 as a LFer. Cameron is currently hitting .257/.362/.461 as a CFer.

Hoffman to the Angels maybe a good move. I'm not sure what the Brewers would get in return for Hoffman but the Angels are looking for a setup guy which Hoffman would fit perfectly into that role. Maybe a Hoffman for O'Sullivan/Reckling/Walden. Walden and O'Sullivan are probably to much to give up for a half a year of Hoffman but if the Brewers could swing another minor prospect to the Angels that could be a trade that helps the Brewers out for the next couple of years.

I wouldn't mind a rotation of Gallardo, pitcher from Hardy trade, Bush, O'Sullivan, Parra/Suppan. Even if Hardy doesn't get traded a rotation of Gallardo, Bush, O'Sullivan, Parra, and Suppan wouldn't be that bad it would definitely be an improvement over what the Brewers have now.

O'Sullivan's stats so far this year.

SEASON TEAM G GS CG SHO IP H R ER HR BB SO W L SV HLD BLSV ERA
2009 LAA 5 5 0 0 29.0 32 12 12 4 8 16 3 0 0 0 -- 3.72

I wish the Angels were not so locked up at SS with Aybar because a Hardy for O'Sullivan trade would make a lot of sense for both the Brewers and the Angels. If the Angels didn't have so may good infielders with Aybar, Figgins, and Kendrick not so much Kendrick though this trade would still make sense but that infield is really crowded. For the Brewers to get someone like O'Sullivan though it would have to be a Hoffman plus a prospect to get O'Sullivan I believe. I believe Ortega would probably be a more realistic option and I'm not sure that would be worth it for the Brewers.

The Rays could also use some bullpen help. A Hoffman to the Rays for Fernando Perez could be a steal. Perez is out until mid-August, but I'd imagine he could be a PTBNL. He could certainly be a long term solution in CF and leadoff. He wouldn't be starting for the Rays, so it could be a possibility.

Also, I could really see Melvin pull off a deal with McGehee similar to that of Podsednik (whether it be now or in the offseason). I would much rather have Gamel and Weeks playing 3B & 2B meaning McGehee would be riding the bench. Besides, Heether is very similar to McGehee with more versatility and a better minor league track record.

McGehee and 1-2 prospects (maybe 1 top ten and one in the 10-20 range) to the Marlins for Ricky Nolasco. It seems like the Fish want to trade (or have been at least rumored to want to) Uggla and McGehee would be a cheap replacement. With Johnson, Volstad, and Miller among others, they do have some pitching to spare.

Someone is going to overvalue McGehee and if he isn't going to start, there's no reason not to sell high.

The Brewers are only 2.5 GB in the division and 3.5 GB in the wildcard, with the Nationals, Padres, and Astros, and Pirates for most of the next month. Now is not the time to sell.

For the record, I don't want to trade Gamel or Escobar, but I wouldn't mind making some smaller transactions. After that, let things play out.

I like selling. I'm not saying dismantle the team, but it's possible that Cameron, Hoffman, and JJ could bring back a few worthwhile pieces for the future. I doubt that Melvin makes any moves that will help in the future though, he prefers to trade for major league scrubs whenever possible, which is disappointing. If any of those guys are dealt, they'll probably be dealt for Mench or Linebrink equivalents.

I agree, Linebrink's life was turned upside down because of the trade and then IIRC his wife was due at any minute around that time. Pretty tough to adjust to a new environment and have the burden of you wife with a new born on the other side of the country.

They absolutely cannot deal Hoffman this year (even though I think its a good idea). It would be a PR disaster. I can see moving JJ and Cam because there are other options available, but moving Hoffman signifies that the Brewers are no longer contenders. You won't sell many tickets for games this year that way.

The only players I would be upset about losing are Prince, Braun, Yo, Weeks, and Parra. The rest are fair game for prospects and front line pitching.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Linebrink has actually had two very good seasons so far since leaving Milwaukee.
Very good is a huge stretch, but my point was more along the lines of how he wasn't a long-term piece

and also that middle relievers just aren't especially valuable. Fangraphs has Linebrink being worth .7 WAR over the past 2 seasons. That's the same as Mike Rivera over the same time period and he's only got 127 PA's in that time. I like Mike a lot but I don't see anybody advocating trading 3 prospects for him (plus, Mike's still under team control for 3 more years).

So, if a "very good" set-up man is worth the same as the least used position player in baseball, why ever bother trading for a guy like Linebrink? It just doesn't seem like a good use of resources to me.

Archived