Brewer Fanatic

Sell, sell, sell?

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I keep seeing posts talking about the ease of the Brewer schedule post All star game and thought I'd look at it since the Cubs and Cards likely play a similar schedule.

The remaining Brewers opponents have a .475 winning percentage, the Cards opponents a .488, and the Cubs a .483, so not much difference there.

The main differences are vs. Washington, Brewers have 8, Cubs 7, STL 4

San Diego, Brewers have 6, Cubs 3, STL 7

Dodgers, Brewers have 3, Cubs 4, STL 7

San Fran, Brewers have 3, Cubs 3, STL 0

Philly, Brewers have 4, Cubs 3, STL 6

Pittsburgh Brewers have 9, Cubs 9, STL 6

Mets Brewers have 0, Cubs 6, STL 2

Florida Brewers have 0, Cubs 3, STL 3

The Brewers play the Cubs 7 times, and the Cards 9 times. The Cards/Cubs play each other only 3x.

I think the point of talking about strength of schedule though is the expectation that we'll play better in the second half record wise, because of our schedule, not that we'll cruise past the Cards in the second half because of our schedule. We had a rough month (or so) of baseball, and some of that was likely due to the stronger first half schedule, so the expectation for myself is we won't look as rough in the second half ideally.

The Cubs and Cardinals may play very similar schedules, but if we can hang with the pack or lead the pack, as we have been doing up to September, that's where the season is won or lost.

Counsell is not going to be able to keep that up though.
Thats fine. If he slumps, McGehee and Gamel will play more. They should play more either way.

Gamels numbers are held down by his numerous PH ABs. Gamel's OPS, when he starts at 3B, is .901! The fact that he will play a bigger role in the 2nd half is another reason this team is a serious contender.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Given how crappy Looper has pitched and Suppan being Suppan it wouldn't be that hard to improve on starting pitching.
In the other thread you don't think adding Bedard AND Washburn would improve out starting pitching.

In this thread, you think it won't be hard to improve our starting pitching.

The only consistency I ever find in your posts is that everyone else is always wrong.

I said Washburn wouldn't be an improvement.

You're assuming that 1. Parra remains effective as in his first start back, 2. Bush comes back healthy and effective, and 3. That no other starters get hurt. Highly unlikely that all three are going to happen in the 2nd half.

Gamels numbers are held down by his numerous PH ABs. Gamel's OPS, when he starts at 3B, is .901! The fact that he will play a bigger role in the 2nd half is another reason this team is a serious contender.

Wow, just reading that has me all hot & bothered. .901! Man, I can't wait to see Gamel (hopefully) unfettered this second half.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

But doesn't everyone here get the feeling that there is not only no way we are sellers, but there is no way we are the combination of sellers AND buyers together with Melvin at the helm. Again, he's the one that insisted on MLB ready talent back for Lee when we should have gotten rookies/prospects (Santana maybe) but we were making a feeble (sp.) attempt at the playoffs. We also made the trade for Linebrink (not saying it was horrible) which in my opinion was a trade to make a trade as that team had much worse worries than a setup man. I just don't see anyway Melvin does anything beyond adding pieces. There is no way we do anything that will help us in the future more long term, imho, than what we give up. I can only see us making a move that likely stings us more longterm for a hopeful fix of this current season.

Frankly, with how quiet things have been on the trade rumor front in regards to the Brewers, it's really hard to say what Melvin may or may not do. My gut is that he'll hold out for about another week, hope the Brewers come out of the All Star break on a hot streak, and that will allow him to justify making a big move. If they falter, it's going to be hard to justify taking on additional payroll. I don't think there's any way they "sell" any big parts during the season, though.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

You're assuming that 1. Parra remains effective as in his first start back, 2. Bush comes back healthy and effective, and 3. That no other starters get hurt. Highly unlikely that all three are going to happen in the 2nd half.

And just one day later, Bush is being re-examined because his arm is bothering him.

I'll get ripped for this, but I don't feel the magic this year. I think if we had made a move a month ago when it was rumored things may have been a lot different if we picked up Lopez and a starter like Peavey or Bedard before they got hurt.. Too little too late now.

Can trade Hoffman, Cameron, Hardy, or Hart. Remember that it is a sellers market. I won't be mad. At least you add a player or two that will help and you don't give away anyone that hurts your future. All hands on deck next year though. 2010 and 2011 is our window.

The Brewers until Sept. 1st, after this series against Cincy.

3 vs. ATL

4 vs. WSH

3 @ SD

3 @ LA

3 @ HOU

3 vs. SD

3 vs. HOU

3 @ PIT

4 @ WSH

3 vs. CIN

3 vs. PIT

Besides the LA series. This would be the time for the Brewers to go on a run if they have it in them. We are only 2.5/3 games back. Its not like we are 8 games back.

Doug Melvin has shown in the past if we are close he will go get a guy that can help the team right now (David Bell). I really don't see us selling at all.

Doug Melvin has shown in the past if we are close he will go get a guy that can help the team right now (David Bell). I really don't see us selling at all.
Was this supposed to be in blue? David Bell?

The point is the Brewers were 4 GB in the WC standings on July 28th.

We had Jeff C playing everyday at 3rd, which he couldnt do. Melvin got a piece that was suppose to help us with that year.

I belive he also traded for Tony G. for JDLR that year as well.

Was this supposed to be in blue? David Bell?
You don't remember the trading deadline in 2006? It was seriously awful. Trading Lee and Cruz for Mench, Cordero, Nix and the minor league Cordero.

Trading JDLR for Graffanino.

Traded Wilfredo Laureano for David Bell.

Melvin seriously thought the Brewers could still go for a playoff spot that year.

The Brewers were still in contention at that point. Maybe not odds on favorites at that point, but only 4 GB in the WC hunt at the end of July is still contending, with two months left in the season.

They had lost Weeks and Koskie to injury and Hardy earlier in the year. Of course they were getting Sheets and Ohka back near the deadline, but basing your moves on the small chance that you can make the playoffs at that point wasn't very smart. Especially since we were hovering between four and seven games under .500 from a week before the trade deadline up until July 31st.

Most of those moves were pretty middling, and the Lee trade made a lot of sense, not just from a contention standpoint, but from the fact that he was going to be gone at the end of the season anyway, and they needed a closer. I never got why so many complained about acquiring David Bell for basically nothing.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I just want to throw in my 2 cents and say that I would definitely be a seller and not a buyer this season. The team has mostly played terrible baseball for the better part of two months and we may very well be the 4th best team in our own division. The only way this team makes the playoffs is winning the division (the wild card spot is getting further out of reach every day) and I just dont think we will win this division even if we trade our future away for Halladay.

I would look to trade the likes of Suppan and Looper for sure and would definitely trade Hardy for a top young pitcher. I would also love to trade Hart but his value must be incredibly low right now so we should ride it out for the rest of the season with him and hope his value increases.

Archived