Brewer Fanatic

Sell, sell, sell?

The problem the Brewers have is nobody in the division with the possible exception of the Bucs has been eliminated. Unless they find a pitcher somewhere in the next couple days and a couple guys break out of slumps quickly, a hot spell by any of the Cards, Cubs, Reds or Astros, could bury them quickly which would in the long run probably be better than if they stayed in touch but faltered in September. It would give them a great chance to stock up for 2010 and beyond.

The market for pitching has me thinking what would Braden Looper bring?

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The problem the Brewers have is nobody in the division with the possible exception of the Bucs has been eliminated. Unless they find a pitcher somewhere in the next couple days and a couple guys break out of slumps quickly, a hot spell by any of the Cards, Cubs, Reds or Astros, could bury them quickly which would in the long run probably be better than if they stayed in touch but faltered in September. It would give them a great chance to stock up for 2010 and beyond.

The market for pitching has me thinking what would Braden Looper bring?

I was kind of wondering if Suppan could bring anything at the deadline.

They actually have quite a few players that could have value. I was thinking about Suppan myself. If any contenders have injuries to their staff, Suppan and Looper would be safe guys to get. You know exactly what you're buying. Same thing for guys like McClung, DeFelice, and Coffey. And what about Hoffman?! If a contender needs a closer down the stretch the Brewers may can quite a nice deal for him. Even guys like Cameron, Kendall, and Counsell may have some real value. And how about Mcgehee? Sell high right? Possibly even an opportunity to unload Hall. You want Trevor Hoffman? Fine...but you're taking Bill Hall with you. Really a nice chance to unload salary in additon to bringing in more youn talent.

If someone offers the right deal for a Hardy or Hart, sure you have to look at it. But if they can trade some of those guys above, they may get more in return than you think. In fact, I've been on the fence but I think I'm convincing myself the Brewers should be sellers this year. Seems like a year where there's more potential buyers than normal, should it's a good year to be a seller. As long as it leads to a legit run for it all next year, let the bidding begin.

In my opinion, there's no chance whatsoever that any team takes on Suppan's awful contract. There will be literally dozens of better options, including calling guys up from the minors who may not even be as good.

In my opinion, there's no chance whatsoever that any team takes on Suppan's awful contract.

There's absolutely a chance, but the Brewers would have to take on a bad contract in return. The Angels would trade Gary Matthews for Suppan (or Hall) in a heartbeat.

This rotation can't handle a posy schedule. We should be right back under .500 with those teams if not for a flukey hot streak in mid-May. This team is sellers, hope we can get something and get Escobar up here to get his feet drenched.

Part of me thinks the Brewers should move Hoffman and Hart regardless of if they're "buyers" or "sellers". They probably can replace Hart in-house and while the bullpen will take a hit, they probably have more to gain from the move.

Robert

I think they should let someone get 15 saves in the first half and then trade him every year---trading the closer is easy money...actually, i was wondering what kind of market there is for a guy like Mitch Stetter...there's always some team that will trade serious products for a loogy...stetter's pitching above his head and could be replaced at 90% of his ability in house...or better if you bring up braddock

Trading players like Hoffman, IMO, would not send a good message to the fan base. With the division up for grabs and no "solid" in-house replacement, I can't imagine that the pros outweigh the cons in a situation like that. I agree that with our favorable second half schedule and our history of a lineup that is known to get hot, I feel like we can easily get on a roll post all-star break.

If Hoffman is going to be a type-A free agent then I don't think it makes sense to deal him. I really don't think we'd get more back in a trade than what we would get in draft pick compensation.

Seeing how well that process worked for us last year I say no thanks. A 40 something pitcher who will limit his suitors will probably not get us the 2 picks. A good team may wait to sign him after the deadline or maybe he'll just retire.

If Hoffman is going to be a type-A free agent then I don't think it makes sense to deal him. I really don't think we'd get more back in a trade than what we would get in draft pick compensation.

Seeing how well that process worked for us last year I say no thanks. A 40 something pitcher who will limit his suitors will probably not get us the 2 picks. A good team may wait to sign him after the deadline or maybe he'll just retire.

With the numbers that Hoffman is putting up it would be hard to believe that no team would be willing to sign him in the offseason and he would have to wait until the deadline. And I don't get the impression that Hoffman is ready to hang 'em up either. But, you are right about not being guaranteed the picks, but I would still expect either a 1st or 2nd along with a comp. Even if it ended up being a 2nd rather than a 1st I'm not sure we would get a higher return in a trade, but who knows maybe someone would be willing to give up a lot.

Hoffman probably can make more from accepting arbitration than he can on the free agent market. A Hall of Fame closer coming off an All Star appearance probably can ask for and get at least $8 million. At least. Maybe as high as $12 million. If the Brewers offer arbitration, no team is likely to match that offer financially and give up draft picks.

As for justifying it, I'm sure the Brewers would trade Hoffman to a contender. Tampa strikes me as likely. Hard to believe that Hoffman would be put off by that. And, as far as justifying it to the fan base, I'm sure it depends on what the Brewers get back. I think it's obvious that the team is in need of upper level prospects, especially of the pitching variety.

Robert

If Parra and Bush come back and pitch like they have in their careers, a run is very possible. The offense is 4th in the NL, even a league average staff would put them in contention.
I gotta agree with Al here. Unless someone really believes Hardy is a sub-700 OPS hitter or that Parra is really a 7+ ERA pitcher, we're in this thing. The fact that we play just 3 games between now and the end of August against a team with a winning record should help immensely.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

The team is only 2.5 games out of first place, after getting done with a pretty rough part of the schedule. They're drawing attendance that is on pace to break last year's record. There's no way they sell unless they have a disastrous next couple weeks. Fortunately, with some hopefully easy opponents coming up, they should be able to build some momentum and maybe even catch St. Louis before the end of the month.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

If they were in the NL West it would be one thing, but does anyone really think either the Cubs or the Cardinals are vastly superior to the Brewers?

No I don't believe the Cubs or the Cardinals are vastly superior than the Brewers. All 3 of the clubs have glaring holes. Every time the Cubs get someone back from an injury someone else gets injured. Ramirez returns and then Dempster and Soto go on the DL and I believe Lee is also hurt again. The Cardinals have a good pitching staff but if Ludwick and others on the Cardinals do not start hitting better Pujols will not be able to carry that team all the way for the rest of the year teams will just walk Pujols and make the others beat them.

With Bush coming back after the All Star break and hopefully Hardy, Braun, and Hart can start hitting better again the Brewers offense should be a lot better than it has been for about a month now. Bush should help stabilize the rotation and if Parra can stay consistent that should help out the rotation even more. If there is a trade that goes down I believe it will be for a Davis or Lopez type. I'm not sure what the Brewers really need. The Brewers need a good #2 or #1 type pitcher but there just isn't anyone available for the right price right now. There are a lot of #4's and #5 type pitchers available and there are some hitters available also. I would really love to see the Brewers some how get someone who can hit leadoff for the Brewers either Lopez or DeJesus would be good to have hitting leadoff. Having Kendall or Counsell betting leadoff is just not something I want to see anymore. Counsell is better to have on the bench and the bench players need to start hitting a little bit better also.

Lopez or DeJesus would be at best equal to what they'd be replacing. Unless the Brewers acquire a catcher to replace Kendall it would take a great player to improve on the Brewers position player. Given how crappy Looper has pitched and Suppan being Suppan it wouldn't be that hard to improve on starting pitching.

Archived