Brewer Fanatic

Sabathia leaves game in second inning with bicep tightness.

Invader3K

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090621&content_id=5456002&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

Does it make me a bad person that I'm now hoping CC crashes and burns in New York? As much as I loved him when he was with the Brewers, I find myself salivating at the thought of an extended DL stint for the guy.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Does it make me a bad person that I'm now hoping CC crashes and burns in New York?

You asked the question...yes it does. Put yourself in CC's huge shoes...there's no way you turn down that offer. I hate the Yankees, but I can't hate CC. I'd say they do a very, very poor job of running their team in terms of the bottom line. They offered a ton more than any other team...what would you do at your current job? You'd get paid to do the same thing some where else and get paid a lot more...would you pass on that? If CC's mentally strong enough to put up with the NY bs, then good for him. If I were CC, I would've signed with the Yankees. It's just way too much money to pass up. CC enjoyed his time here and carried us to the playoffs...why the hate? I'm assuming you'd boo him when/if he comes back to Miller Park based on your comments...

To be honest, running into something like this was probably expected considering the amount of innings he pitched down the stretch last year. I don't take pleasure in CC getting hurt, but I do hope the Yankees suffer a bit for their overspending this past offseason. They were essentially bidding against themselves for Sabathia and are getting burned for the Burnett signing so far. At least Teixeira's working out well for them, but I can see the pitching continuing to be a problem for them.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

To be honest, running into something like this was probably expected considering the amount of innings he pitched down the stretch last year.

Not just last year. The previous year as well. I think many thought an arm injury was inevitable for CC. That was part of the reason I didn't want the Brewers to sign him. That and the huge amount of payroll per year we would have had to commit. If this injury turns out to be severe, the Yankees might be able to get past it. The Brewers however would be severely hurt.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I actually was hoping he ate himself into ineffectiveness. He'd be OK, and they'd be out an ace and enough to bail out GM.

I was listening to some generic sports talk radio this afternoon, and someone mentioned that Sabathia came out in the second innning and "didn't appear injured". My first thought was that he must have been starving.

I'm bummed out by this news. All the guy did for us was put his own personal health on the line and pitch every 4th day for us and carry the team on his back for the Brewers first playoff appearance in 26 years. I root for him every start while still hoping the Yankees crash and burn around him. Sure he has the money now no matter what, but it's clear by the effort he put forth with us, that he's a competitor. And if he gets injured for an extended period of time in that market, the fans and the media there will be relentless. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy much less someone whom I'll always remember as a baseball hero in this city. Not to mention the ire that will get directed at Milwaukee by New Yorkers for last year having "abused" their future property. And don't be surprised if the 4-letter network piles on and sends a few jabs this way. They'll completely ignore the significance of what he did for Milwaukee and rather focus on how Milwaukee did this to him and deprived all of baseball a healthy CC in NY. It will be vomit-inducing.

As much as I hate the Yankees, I feel bad for CC since his workload with the Crew was probably a factor in this injury. I find it hard to imagine being pleased to see Sabathia hurt after the way he pitched for us last year.

Echoing above comments, how can anyone be happy that CC got hurt outside of Boston? His competitive nature is through the roof, and I still root for him as an individual though I'd love to see the Yankees miss the postseason.

even if CC were on the Cubs i'd root for him to do well (but for the Cubs themselves to totally stink, of course). CC could have easily declined to pitch every three days knowing that he'd still get paid in the offseason, but he did it anyway because he's a class act and a winner. i don't like the idea of anyone happy that any player gets injured.

Does it make me a bad person that I'm now hoping CC crashes and burns in New York?
Yes, you are a bad person. You're telling me that you wouldn't take that deal in the offseason? If you told me no, I wouldn't take it, I would call you a liar too. That's a lot of ching, we aren't just talking about a couple of million dollars. How fast do people forget what he did for us last year.

Beat writer Pete Abraham's blog, which includes two recent entries on CC's situation:

CC Sabathia told reporters after the game that he was checked out by Dr. Dan Kanell and was told he had biceps tendinitis.

While that is potentially more serious that simple "biceps tightness" as the Yankees reported, Sabathia said it has bothered him before between starts over the years and that he wanted to stay in the game.

CC also said with conviction that he planned to make his next start. No tests are planned. He will get treatment tomorrow in Atlanta.

CC Sabathia said he would make his next start, dismissing any suggestion that he would not. Joe Girardi wasn't quite that confident, saying the decision would wait until later in the week.

Here is what CC plans to do:

Monday: Receive treatment in Atlanta from team trainers.

Tuesday: Play catch.

Wednesday: Throw a bullpen.

Thursday: Rest.

Friday: Face the Mets.

Girardi said there are no tests scheduled. But why would the Yankees not get an MRI taken?

The nonchalant way in which Sabathia dismissed this has to make Yankees fans glad Girardi & the training staff weren't having it. Abraham's blog will likely be the best source to check as this situation progresses.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I agree with those of you wishing CC well. The guy risked his own health to help a team/city that in the back of his mind he had to know he wouldn't be playing for the next year. I'll never understand the people that talk about him taking the money. Everyone would take that money, myself included. Even more annoying are all the comments about his weight. Between CC and Prince there are more comments about them being fat by fans from one of the fattest states in the country. Seriously? Brewer fans making fun of a player for being fat? I'm a big guy myself. Who cares how big they are, they can play.

Sorry but I cant root for any yankee, today, tomorrow or ever. As much as CC did for the Brewers last year he was a rental and not a true Brewer in my eyes since he only spent half a season with us. If he signed with someone like Anaheim I would feel indifferent but signing with the yankees makes me hate him like I hate every player that plays for that team.

It's almost getting to the point where I don't even feel any angst towards the Yankees. I mean, yeah they are loose with the funds and hurt smaller market teams, but its not like they are dominating. Not to mention he has as much of a chance to win in NY as in Milwaukee.

I wish CC the best, outside of Branyan, I probably would wish him a WS victory (Besides the crew of course). My love for CC outshines whatever uni he is wearing at the time.

I'm gathering there is some consensus here: people would like the Yankees to suffer for their over-spending, but for the most part, people wish CC well.

Since baseball is ruled by a lot of superstition, I'd be happy with: CC has great production in his career, including with the Yankees. However, with his 3.00 ERA and awesome K rate comes no run support, leaving him about as many wins as Yankee as Carl Pavano.

If CC ever becomes a Cub, all bets are off.

I'm gathering there is some consensus here: people would like the Yankees to suffer for their over-spending, but for the most part, people wish CC well.
This is actually more along the lines of what I meant when I made that initial post. I was being a bit facetious when I asked if I was being a bad person. Maybe I was just frustrated by the Brewers getting swept this past weekend and was having a bit of fun when I posted, I guess.

Anyway, there's no way I say Sabathia should not have taken the contract the Yankees gave him. $60 million is a huge difference in potential contracts, and a ton of money. I don't fault him for taking it. I'm not going to cheer for someone in the pinstripes, though. I do feel what the Yankees did this past off-season is somewhat bad for baseball as a whole, and I'd like to see them suffer for their free wheeling spending. I do appreciate what CC did for the Brewers (that last day of the season was probably one of the happiest days of my life), but that's done now and if he's going to play for the Evil Empire, I'll wish him well personally, but hope the Yankees continue to fail spectacularly. That's all.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I love Sabathia, but I certainly dont feel bad for him. He put it all on the line for the Brewers down the stretch last year and cashed that in for something like 160 million dollars, if he is Cy Young, ineffective, or hurt, he has made his pay check. I do want the Yankees to suffer for every over paid player they have on their team.

If CC became the Yankees' hard-luck starter - who pitches well but is denied Ws due to a lack of Yankee run support, costly Yankee errors, and/or Yankee bullpen collapses (in those games when CC doesn't persevere to the 9th) - I think that would satisfy my general desire to see the Yankees falter without having to completely hate on CC. I don't know if I need CC to be tagged with loss after loss.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

CC could have easily declined to pitch every three days knowing that he'd still get paid in the offseason, but he did it anyway because he's a class act and a winner. i don't like the idea of anyone happy that any player gets injured.

I don't know how easily he could have done this. He was expensive for a rental and had a responsibility to the team that paid that much for him to do everything he could to make himself worth the investment. He did so I was happy with him but I do not think it was as voluntary as some do. What do you think the rest of the team would have said to him if he declined to go when asked?

As far as what happens to him now I couldn't care less to be perfectly honest. He is a Yankee now so his fortunes are the Yankees fortunes. As a person I wish him the best because, by all accounts, he is a good guy. But as a person he has had a great life so far. He is a millionaire 170 times over and has had a great amount of personal success in his career. How much better off does he really deserve or need to be?

As a player his fortunes do nothing for my team so they do nothing for me one way or the other. I do not like the Yankees because I don't like their owners so, in that way, I want the Yankees to suffer but not necessarily CC's expense. If it is at his expense though I can't say I care all that much. Like I said CC has already had a charmed life so I'm not going to lose sleep over it if he has a bump in the road. I hope he doesn't much the same way I hope nobody does. I don't wish bad things on many people...other than the Stienbrenners and all things Cubs or Cardinals.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

If he signed with someone like Anaheim I would feel indifferent but signing with the yankees makes me hate him like I hate every player that plays for that team.

I guess what I don't understand about this is how arbitrary it is. If CC took the exact same contract with another huge market team, you wouldn't have any animosity?

And I don't want to single you out bkbc, I know there are a lot of people that feel this way. For me the only team about which I feel that way is the Cubs.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If he signed with someone like Anaheim I would feel indifferent but signing with the yankees makes me hate him like I hate every player that plays for that team.

I guess what I don't understand about this is how arbitrary it is. If CC took the exact same contract with another huge market team, you wouldn't have any animosity?

And I don't want to single you out bkbc, I know there are a lot of people that feel this way. For me the only team about which I feel that way is the Cubs.

So if CC had signed with the Cubs you would you hate CC? Or at least harbor some animosity? If so, it's not arbitrary.

Archived