Brewer Fanatic

What is wrong with broadcaster/journalists of sports?

He continued "his number are really never that good on paper, but he does things that don't show up in the boxscore." The funny thing about this statement, is that the broadcaster never explains what those things are. He just leaves it at that.
To be fair, Counsell's defense (which has been his biggest asset for awhile) doesn't show up in the box score. But then again, why not just say something like "Craig Counsell plays great defense at 3 positions"?

So if Counsell is what causes WS rings and Grace only won a ring playing on Counsell's team, what does that say about Grace's ability as a ballplayer?

Counsell is Shaq and Grace is Kobe, of course.

To play Devil's Advocate on the Nellis comments, how does anyone know his comment was idiotic? Parra has stunk enough to get shipped back down. We all want him to succeed, the Brewers need him to succeed but there is no guarantee he ever will. If Parra never realizes his potential does that make everyone who claimed he was a future #2 type pitcher an idiot? It does seem pretty arrogant to claim anyone who doesn't buy into the future stardom of every player as an idiot, especially given the flame out rate for hyped up guys out of the minor leagues who never live up to their minor league stats.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Taking a slightly different angle to answer the original question: "What is wrong with broadcaster/journalists of sports?"

I'm really tired of print reporters using blogs instead of writing articles. It seems that (esp JSOnline) rather than write a well thought out article, they throw out a quick blog blurb and let it go at that. Whats the difference you ask? Typically articles are well thought out, researched, professional sounding documents. Blogs have an entirely different feel. Often they are quick blurbs with the intention of getting the information out fast. Often these are hastily written, less professional (JSOline intentionally writing about Frett Bavre?), and not well researched. They are more the off-the-top-of-the-head stuff.

Blogs are fine to get out breaking news. But it seems that we have lost our quality reporting (some may argue we never had any) in favor for a "here is what I think" type article. Seems very unprofessional to me.

FYI, the Packer coverage at JSOnline seems to be much worse about this than the Brewer coverage, but both have suffered because of it.

Sports journalists make crap up all the time because, for all intents and purposes, they hold no accountability. Journalists in other fields often let their opinions shine through of course, but at some point they have to back up what they say with either quotes from an expert or some level or research. Sports are a form of entertainment, and like most entertainment journalism, their basic goal is to come up with opinions, regardless of any merit.

I know it's been mentioned in the past that newspapers/publications are often the ones stressing that reporters blog, blog, blog! Even so, I think it's lazy to just slap together a post without making sure it's worthwhile. Reminds me of how BF.net stresses not just making a post of "I agree!" or some other one-line response... bring some content. And that's a fansite -- you'd definitely hope sports journalists would actually be motivated to be informative & bring something new/unique to the table.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
joepepsi[/b]]... Journalists in other fields often let their opinions shine through of course, ...
< Offsubject gripe>

There was a time when journalist (not just sports) reported fact, not opinions. Now you have to watch three networks' report on a certain subject just to get a feel for what is opinion and what is fact. When other countries do that, we call it propaganda. Here it is "quality" reporting.

Offsubject gripe>

I think we need to seperate journalists and broadcsters who cover baseball vs the sports talkers. I dismiss the sports talk shows as entertainment, not journalism. I do listen, but it's for fun, to get the pulse of what sports fans are thining, etc.

As far as broadcasters covering a game, they're allowed a certain amount of cliches. Happens across all sports, even by the very best. I don't think it's worth calling someone on the carpet for describing a player as a "winner" or "gamer," etc. These guys have a ton of time to fill, and Eckstein will always be the "gritty Eckstein." It really doesn't bother me.

Archived