Brewer Fanatic

Bush Admits to Arm Fatigue (Latest: Dave to DL; Burns recalled... reply #38 / rehab start July 15.. reply #55)

He doesn't walk many or give up many home runs.
You've hit on the really impressive thing with him that separates him from other finesse pitchers. He doesn't give up the long ball, despite that fact that he consistently pitches inside. If he can do that in the bigs, that would be a welcome addition to this staff.

Has anyone who's seen Cody pitch think something in his game would not translate well to the bigs?
That is a major concern, because he has Jamie Moyer velocity. However, his minor league numbers are so awesome that his stats don't need to fully translate for him to be as good as the averge-ish guys the Brewers already start.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One guy who could be in play is Josh Butler. I think he could make a spot start like Carlos V was a few years back. After Cody he is one of the more interesting options to me. He has been all the way up to AAA this year and is currently at AA. Between those two levels in 4 starts he has went 21 innings striking out 21 and walking just 2. He obviously is not going that deep into games but he could be a spot start guy. He is not an answer to our lack of an impact arm outside of Yo.

Cody is my first choice, but Butler is ahead of Dillard for me because Dillard walks too many guys.

That is a major concern, because he has Jamie Moyer velocity. However, his minor league numbers are so awesome that his stats don't need to fully translate for him to be as good as the averge-ish guys the Brewers already start.

I've seen him once or twice so by no means am I an expert. I usually state in that small of a viewing I've really not seen the guy at all since one or two times doesn't mean all that much. I do think though that he could translate to the bigs. I just don't know how good he could be there since I've only seen him a few times. I'd have to say a Moyer type career wouldn't shock me, but in my opinion guys who the type of stuff Cody has are hard to project. His command is everything and in my opinion his command is pretty solid. Hopefully that will continue at the next level whenever that happens. I've always thought guys with 'stats' in the minors that don't walk guys should be given a shot. DiFelice was somewhat similar and his stuff was questioned for a long time before he made it to Milwaukee. Sometimes guys that don't throw all that hard work out. Stetter is probably in that same boat too (not that his stuff is as slow as Cody's, but by no means is Stetter a power arm).

Is Chris Capuano on track to return at any time, or is he on his way to Mark Priorville?
He actually said recently that he expected to start pitching again in about 5 weeks without any further setbacks. That was probably a month ago, and it would be awhile before he's close to being ready for the majors. I have a feeling that we'll see him toward the end of the season, but I certainly don't expect a significant contribution.

Interesting, and probably the right move. I'm going to the game Thursday, so I'm interested to see who makes that start. The article notes Thursday would be Mike Burns' turn in the rotation down in Nashville, so I wouldn't be surprised if he gets called up.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Of all the options listed in that JSOnline item, calling up Burns seems the least disruptive move to me, in terms of who's sufficiently stretched out and whose schedule wouldn't be whacked out by a Thursday start.

Of course, it would be more disruptive for whoever would be moved to accommodate Burns.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

The problem the Brewers have isn't that there is a whole list of pitchers who have been worse than Bush, Looper and Parra over the last 30 days, there is always going to be that list, the problem is all three were in the same rotation. They also weren't hurt by just one bad game during the stretch but by being consistenty bad with an occasional decent 3 run 6 inning effort.

I kind of hope not. It's going to take more than one good start at AAA to convince me that he's back to the point of being an acceptable major league starter.

Especially considering he walked 4 in that start. His control was the problem here and until he gets that fixed he will likely be pummeled again.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

This ticks me off if this is the real reason. Was an MRI done initially? I mean its June 26th and that happened June 4th. If they would have caught it right away he would have had just over three weeks of rest up until this point. Instead he was out there pitching with a bum arm stinking up the joint and not getting better at the same time. I don't know something about this just makes me upset.

That may be true, but I don't like it. McClung isn't stretched out enough to give you a quality start. I'm hoping the plan is to give Dillard a shot. I'm sure the plan is to bring Parra and Cody up at some point this year, but I like the idea of giving guys like Burns and Dillard a shot first to see what they can do. With all those potential startes, I would hate to bring McClung out of the bullpen.

I'd like Cody to get the call pretty soon, he has been roling and looks to be a promising pitcher. Really when you think about it can our rotation get any worse, why not give him a shot. I still think Dillard should have been called up up before Narverson and Burns. Burns pitched okay in AAA and had a nice debut outting but I think Dillard has pitched real well. He also had success last year when we was called up except for one REAL BIG accident that gave up 4 runs in a crack of the bat.

I think they really do need to do something with their medical staff and i agree that Bush really should have been looked at closer after he took that shot to the elbow.

This doesn't do it for me:

Gallardo

Suppan

Looper

Burns

McClung

Not going to complain about it but that is sure as hell is ugly...yuck! It sucks to feel like you only have 1 pitcher in the rotation that is consistant and will give you and chance to win(Gallardo)

Archived