Brewer Fanatic

Mike Cameron: just streaky or showing his age?

June: .130/.277/.222 with 24 K's in 54 AB's.

Season with RISP: .115/.333/.154.

Now I understand what a great clubhouse presence Mike is and if anything his defense this year is better than it was last year but at age 36 I think he needs more days off than he's getting. Right now he's a huge hole in the lineup.

A day off here or there might not hurt. I think he's just in a bad slump right now. He seems like he's pressing at the plate quite a bit. Hopefully he'll turn it around soon because this team could really use his bat down the stretch. Also, he will be getting today off, serving his one game suspension.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

He's regressed back to his usual stat line after a hot start...I expected Mike to bat about .250 at the beginning of the year, and that's pretty much where he is now....he'll probably hit a hot streak again pretty soon..

Of course, it wouldn't hurt the team to get Gerut some more ab's...

I'm still glad we have Cameron. He is streaky, just the way is and has been his entire career. Even when he is not going good he still give you fantastic defense in CF which has been huge in saving some runs this season.

I agree. I wasn't always in his camp, but I've grown to like Cam. I think his 'streakiness' is magnified by the other streaky guys on the team. I do hope he's back next year, but he is getting older. I'd like to see him back for the same amount or so, but I'd also like to see us either get a guy to give Cam more rest or actually play Gerut at CF.

As valuable as Cameron can be, these 1-2 month stretches where his plate contributions seem near-nonexistent get to be so painful to endure. I like him and much of his game never slumps. The slumps at the plate, however. . . . whoa boy.

If the Crew really is looking for some payroll flexibility, I could see them waiting 'til he gets in the middle of his next (hopefully) hot streak, then trading him for a decent return, whatever that might mean.

No, I don't have a plan for who would be better in CF or a good long-term solution. This isn't a completely thought-out plan. Gerut is serviceable and isn't as bad as he's shown this year (hunch) in such minimal playing time. And I doubt his production with regular play is a whole lot different than Cameron's. So if trading Cameron gave them enough flexibility to fill another glaring hole, too, I think it could be a half-decent idea.

Then again, he seems to be a core piece of the clubhouse chemistry, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Brewers took the good with the bad with him and left that position alone.

Archived