Brewer Fanatic

McCalvy: Miller Park flooded but should be fine by Tuesday. (Latest: They hope)

jwaltz

Not completely on topic here, but is it possible the weather could mess up the need for a fifth starter if tonight is a no-go in Detroit? Guess it depends on if the game starts at all and then when the reschedule date would be.

Reschedule date would presumably be Monday. Both teams with an off day.

Therefore, every pushes back for an extra day of rest

Sat Looper

Sun Bush

Mon Gallardo

Tues Suppan

Wed 5th starter needed

Or if you skip Looper

Sat Bush

Sun Gallardo

Mon Suppan

Tues Looper

Wed Bush on 3 days rest? Otherwise, yes a 5th starter will be needed

Can't be anything compared to the County Stadium flooding of 1988 (I think that was the year). The paper showed the entire field under a few feet of water and outfield padding floating in the water.

Does anyone know if the ticket office is open? I haven't been able to get through.

I have two tickets for Wed. and I need to exchange them today. Heading on a week long fishing trip in the morning.

thanks

Community Moderator
I would like to know how all that rain got in. It couldn't have come from the river or the parking lot. Maybe the roof was open and the rain poured down onto the seating bowl, which then pooled on the field and went down into the tunnels. However, this would conflict with the statement that the clubhouses were spared the worst of the damage.

However, this would conflict with the statement that the clubhouses were spared the worst of the damage.

Not sure which tunnels you are speaking of, perhaps the dugout tunnels or umpire tunnels? But when we have had hard rains before with the roof open, it flooded through the "openings" in right and left field and then downward on the "ramps" into the service level. Which is presumably how the clubhouses were spared. I can't imagine management decided to leave the roof open with the big storm coming as predicted, but who apparently so.

In McCalvy's story he reports they will have to replace some carpeting in the clubhouses so the clubhouses weren't exactly spared. They just didn't get hit as hard as the other areas.

Can't be anything compared to the County Stadium flooding of 1988 (I think that was the year). The paper showed the entire field under a few feet of water and outfield padding floating in the water.

It would have been the late 1990s. Milwaukee had "100 year" floods two years in a row. Construction had just begun on Miller Park, and there was a big hole on the site that saved County Stadium from suffering significantly more damage.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

In McCalvy's story he reports they will have to replace some carpeting in the clubhouses so the clubhouses weren't exactly spared. They just didn't get hit as hard as the other areas.
well, I guess we can throw out picking up a big-name player at the deadline and/or giving out extensions to players! We won't be able to afford it now!

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

For some reason, I'm thinking that the County Stadium flooding was in '86. Not sure why that is sticking in my head.

I know that in early August of either 86' or 87' there was a day where Milwaukee had something like 7 inches of rain.

edit: Ok, a little off - 6 inches of rain in 6 hours. The only reason I remembered it is because I was working on a playground for the West Allis/West Milw Rec dept. and I remember kids doing Pete Rose slides across the grass. Here's a link (2nd bullet point under Floods): http://www.crh.noaa.gov/mkx/wiwx.php

edit 2: Ok, this site shows 1987? http://www.newportriweather.com/mwd/history/aug/aug06.html

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
There was a day in the 90's that County was flooded, because I graduated in 92, and this was afterthat. We were going to Brewers/Royals, and it was a sunny day, but the game was cancelled when the field flooded up to the middle of the dugouts.

I remember being about 3/4 of the way to Milwaukee for a game with the Royals, and then hearing it was cancelled due to water in the ballpark. I'm going to say 1993 or 1994. 1993 would make some sense because that was such a rainy, rainy summer. We sat through multiple rain delays that season...but it was dry on Umbrella Night.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Without being there, tough to imagine "how" the flooding occurred. Having worked in the "service" level for two years, I don't understand how it flooded. Did the Menomonee River flood?

There were some spots in the Milwaukee area that got 4-5 inches of rain overnight. On the radio this morning they said the sewers overflowed and the water went into the loading docks and flooded the service area.

I talked to a friend with inside knowledge of the electrical repairs and they said that these were major repairs, not minor. The water got down to some pretty heavy duty electrical equipment and it likely all needs to be replaced. When I informed them that the next home game was Tuesday and the Brewers said that the game should be played as scheduled they said, "We'll see...I hope so". They also said that there were people working more or less around the clock but these aren't small repairs, damage is in the millions on the electrical alone - but that is what insurance is for.

Archived