Brewer Fanatic

Madison area posters: Get together to watch a game?

hawing

During a recent chat, Fatter Than Joey and I came up with the idea to try to get Madison area posters together to watch a Brewer game some night - pick a friendly local establishment and just hang out, watch a game, put some faces to screen names, say Yosted, Macha-ed, or Cam Boogie out loud instead of typing it, etc.

Forum rules would not apply, but standards for face-to-face interaction would. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I'm starting this thread in Off Topic, just to gauge the level of interest. We thought a summer weeknight might be easier to schedule, given how busy weekends are for so many. Here's a list of upcoming weeknight games:

Tues 6/23 vs. MIN

Wed 6/24 vs. MIN

Mon 6/29 vs. NYM

Tue 6/30 vs. NYM

Thurs 7/2 vs. CHC

Tues 7/7 vs. STL

Wed 7/8 vs. STL

Thurs 7/16 vs. CIN (6:00 start)

Mon 7/20 vs. PIT (6:00)

Tue 7/21 vs. PIT (6:00)

Mon 7/27 vs. WSH

Tue 7/28 vs. WSH

Wed 7/29 vs. WSH

Then more in August.

I know the Madison softball team plays Tuesdays. FTJ, you suggested Thursdays were good for you, but sadly, most Thursdays are either day games or off days.

Some of these dates I can't make, in case that matters.

If you're interested, reply and suggest dates and/or candidates for where to meet/watch.

Pick the right date and you could meet FTJ. Is that reason enough or what? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Thanks for your attention.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I know the Madison softball team plays Tuesdays.

A bit off-topic, but what is the name of the Madison BF.net softball team? I also play on Tuesdays and can't help but be curious if I'm playing against some of you folks.

I am not Shea Vucinich

A bit off-topic, but what is the name of the Madison BF.net softball team? I also play on Tuesdays and can't help but be curious if I'm playing against some of you folks.

Echo Tap. We're now in league 8 (started in league 12) and play on the west side. How about you?

Just a note, I'd be interested. Just pick a day, and I'll see if I can make it.

Echo Tap. We're now in league 8 (started in league 12) and play on the west side. How about you?

Lucky's Lagers, you guys beat us in the only game this year that I missed. Coincidence??? Eh...probably not, but maybe we'll run into you again in the championship (if you ever lose in league 8...)

I am not Shea Vucinich

I work till 7PM almost every night but with enough advance notice could get off sooner and be anywhere in Madison by 7. I work on State St.

Not to familiar with places to watch a game other than Great Dane and the college bars downton since I usually am at home or MP but anywhere works for me. I am always open to meeting other BF.net members.

Zach's post is a great segue to asking for suggestions for where to watch a game. I live on the near west side and can get downtown readily, but I realize that's not the case for everyone. The bar scene is not a habit for me, which is why I'm short on ideas. I'm probably just dreaming, but it would be nice to find a venue that isn't ear splitting loud. I'd like to be able to actually converse with people.

I'd suggest the Stiftskeller at UW-Madison, but I don't know if the TV there could be tuned to the Brewers. Plus, if the weather is bad, I think whatever's scheduled for the Terrace might be moved indoors.

I only actually live in Madison during the school year, but Lucky's (right by Camp Randall Stadium) might be a decent option. They have a small parking lot (just a few spots), but there is also lots of free street parking available within a block or two for those that aren't going to drink too much to drive. There is also a bus stop within half a block for people who want to go that route. From my experience, Lucky's also has pretty good food (although I am slightly biased since Lucky's is very close to my house).

Lucky's is mostly a college bar, but I don't see it being overly loud on a weeknight during the summer. Once I was there on a Thursday night during the school year between 8 and 9:30, and it wasn't crowded at all - because college kids usually don't go out until 9 or later. So even on a weekend, the game would probably be just about done by the time the handful of college students in Madison for the summer hit the bars.

Finally, and most importantly, you can bet that Lucky's will surely have the Brewer game on multiple TVs.

You know, Lucky's is a leisurely walk from the hawing house (though we don't live quite as close as bani or Sam). I'm liking that suggestion.

It's on Regent St. near the stadium and the intersection with Monroe St. Back in the day, it was a Brat und Brau, if that helps any older school types place it.

Some street parking has been temporarily removed due to construction of a hotel directly across from Camp Randall, but on a weeknight with no stadium event, parking should still be manageable.

I'm going to semi-randomly throw out Tuesday, July 7 vs. STL as a date suggestion. This gives people some chance to clear their calendar, and having so much geeky Brewers spirit in one place might help topple the class act of baseball, nay, of all athletics. Besides, Wednesdays appear to be "Team Trivia Night" (per Lucky's website events calendar) and Thursdays have live music, each of which might make it all the harder to hear ourselves taunt Baseball Jesus and his minions.

I'm unavailable (due to actually attending games) on T 6/23, T 6/30, W 7/8. I should point out that none of you wants to be in the same building as I am when the Cubs are the opponent. We may be on vacation (i.e. out of town) for the Reds series immediately following the all-star break. This is all in case you want me to be there. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

If we'd rather get together for a road game, the only road series between now and the all-star break is the Cubs series July 2-5. There's an east coast road trip immediately following the ASB, which sounds fine to me except for the 6:00 central start times.

How does this sound? There's plenty of room for adjustment.

Archived