Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Thurs. 6/18 -- Stars' Loss Puts The Pressure On This Weekend

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Thursday's Daily Menu: We're all road-trippin'

All times Central; pitchers subject to change --

Link here for the live audio choices - audio will no longer archive.

For this Brevard County series, you can pick up the Hammerheads' audio via this link.

Nashville: LHP Chris Cody at Oklahoma City (Rangers), 6:40 PM pre-game; 7:05 gametime

Huntsville: RHP Donovan Hand at Birmingham (White Sox), 6:50 PM pre-game; 7:05 gametime

Brevard County: RHP Michael Bowman at Jupiter (Marlins), 11:05 AM gametime

Wisconsin: RHP Trey Watten at Kane County (Athletics), 6:15 PM pre-game, 6:30 gametime

Dominican Summer League Brewers / Orioles: at the DSL Dodgers (see this thread for some roster background) -- all games are 10:30 local time in the Dominican, and no need to ask about web audio; we usually won't see updated box scores until the overnight...

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Follow Thursday's action as it happens:

Here's what you do, right click on each of the links below and choose "Open in New Tab or New Window". Choose "Recap". While you're listening to your minor league game of choice (or watching/listening to the big league Crew when they are playing), simply refresh your game log browsers every so often.

MiLB.com now has Gameday available for AA as well as AAA this season.

Nashville:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2009_06_18_nasaaa_orhaaa_1

Huntsville:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t559&t=g_box&gid=2009_06_18_hunaax_biraax_1

Brevard County:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t503&t=g_box&gid=2009_06_18_breafa_jupafa_1

Wisconsin:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=g_box&gid=2009_06_18_wisafx_kccafx_1&did=t572&sid=t572

Dominican Summer League Brewers / Orioles:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&gid=2009_06_18_dobrok_ddorok_1&cid=3130&t=g_box

Brewer Fanatic Staff

This link will be included in each daily report when the Nashville Sounds are scheduled to play. Normally it is updated a few hours prior to gametime.

Nashville Media Notes (Adobe .pdf format):

We're going to include the link to Kraig McNutt's Nashville blog in the same post as the Nashville media notes link going forward.

AAA All-Star voting is here with your MiLB.com online account.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
 Pacific Coast League (AAA) - PCL American North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Nashville 40 27 .597 - 23-15 17-12 W2 Iowa 35 32 .522 5.0 18-14 17-18 W2 Memphis 31 35 .470 8.5 19-15 12-20 L2 Omaha 26 40 .394 13.5 11-21 15-19 W1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Southern League (AA) - SOU North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Huntsville 37 27 .578 - 14-16 23-11 L2 Carolina 36 28 .563 1.0 21-14 15-14 W2 Tennessee 28 37 .431 9.5 15-18 13-19 L2 Chattanooga 27 38 .415 10.5 14-17 13-21 W2 West Tenn 25 41 .379 13.0 12-19 13-22 L3 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Florida State League (A+) - FSL North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Brevard County 40 20 .667 - 15-11 25-9 L2 Daytona 31 30 .508 9.5 16-12 15-18 L1 Clearwater 30 32 .484 11.0 15-16 15-16 L1 Dunedin 30 33 .476 11.5 12-20 18-13 W1 Tampa 28 34 .452 13.0 15-19 13-15 L3 Lakeland 26 33 .441 13.5 15-17 11-16 L4 

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Jupiter (Marlins) 2, Brevard County 0

Brevard County Box Score

Michael Bowman has looked excellent in his three FSL outings with a 17-to-3 K-to-BB ratio, but a leadoff walk in the 3rd inning proved costly here in his six inings; the Hammerheads added an insurance run against Rob Wooten with a two-out rally in the 8th; three lonely singles for the good guys...

Brevard County Game Log

Manatees barely threatened...

I wasn't real happy that Lawrie needed to be disciplined twice already this season being pulled from games but I haven't said anything up to this point because I understand that he was a very big fish in a very little pond prior to this season. With nothing coming from Mr. Mehring on this it's looking like this may be something discipline related again as it's unusual to have not heard anything in 3 games. I haven't had an opportunity to listen to the T-Rats all week, nor will I tonight, but If in fact this is discipline related we have growing trend that will make me uncomfortable at best. Usually I'm not one to root for a family emergency or injury, but I'd rather it be something like that than Isom having to put his foot down again.

edit. MiLB.com still has him listed as active.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff
I wonder why Dillard started tonight over Cody. Also, I must have missed something because I don't remember Lawrie getting disciplined. What was the reason?

Fascinating in that as of last night, Cody was listed (on his normal turn), but indeed Dillard is moved up today -- interesting to try and sleuth out the maneuverings given the status of the 5th starter situation for the Brewers.

As for Lawrie, he was pulled back in April, which certainly seemed harmless. There was one other game in which he was pulled for a "manager's decision".

But let's be cautious here folks, there is no indication, none at all, that any recent absence is discipline-related. We'll probably learn something soon. Those associated with the club are in a very difficult situation when it comes to injury disclosures (HIPPA legal ramifications). And if it is disciplinary, well that's hardly something we'd be prone to learn about openly, either.

Patience, everyone...

Glad it's an injury, and not something else.

One comment on HIPPA... I get trying to protect privacy, but how dumb is a law that doesn't allow the trainers to tell the coaches what is wrong with their players without a signed waiver... a waiver that has to be signed every year. As all parents don't care equally about what's happening with their children, this has had some unfortunate consequences at my level in the past. I'm curious why other amateur (college FB, BB, etc) and professional sports (NBA, NFL, NHL, MLB) can disclose injuries and severity, but MiLB isn't able to?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I wish Salome's game calling wasn't constantly questioned by Money, because if that's something he hasn't gotten by now, I worry that he'll never be good at it. I'd rather not have the coaching staff calling pitches from the dugout, but if that's what it takes to get Angel's bat in the lineup, I'll deal. Escobar hitless again, he was due to cool off. Gillespie triples, with 50 points of average his OPS becomes respectable. Dillard... yikes, I still don't like him as a rotation option.

Speaking of OPS, Green is at .755, after today's game will have 12 BB and 11Ks at AA, and his power numbers are climbing. I like him so much as a hitter, he does everything well, nothing great, but he'll be above average and a solid contributor for whomever he plays MLB for. Lucroy 0 fer.. hopefully he starts putting up power numbers like he did last season because everything else about his line is pretty fantastic, BA aside, especially 6 more BB than Ks on the season, his OPS was also .755 coming into the game. I'm not sure he'll reach 28 2B again, but he has a chance, 20 HR at this point doesn't seem very realistic.

Watten with an odd line, but a decent result. Smalley from Kane County is probably tired of the T-Rats, they just ballooned his ERA to 2.26 and he may get his 2nd loss in as many games. Sanchez with 3 hits... I've grown to really like him as a player, he's done something good in every game I've watched and he's versatile defensively. He needs to strike out less and walk more though, and put some weight on... 167 lbs... sheesh.

- Plato

- Plato

Ohh, and Heether walked 3 times today, he just keeps building value. Interested to see if he maintains his numbers as his sample size grows.

- Plato

- Plato

Nick Tyson quietly keeps rolling along...

Katin with triple #3 on the season - he's a lot more athletic than people give him credit for.

Gillespie with triple #6 on the season (and a walk)... can we put to bed any questions about his speed?

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Oklahoma City (Rangers) 8, Nashville 7, 11 innings

Nashville Site Game Summary:

Link for Angel Salome photo, text follows --

Sounds Drop Heartbreaker To Open Road Trip

OKLAHOMA CITY - The Nashville Sounds opened their road trip with a heartbreaking 8-7, 11-inning loss to the Oklahoma City RedHawks on Thursday evening at AT&T Bricktown Ballpark in the opener of a four-game series.

After Nashville took a one-run lead in the top of the eleventh, Sounds reliever Sam Narron failed to record an out and gave up a pair of runs in the bottom of the frame as the RedHawks claimed victory.

The contest was the second consecutive extra-inning affair for Nashville (40-28), which fell to 4-2 when playing free baseball.

With one out in the top of the eleventh, Hernan Iribarren reached on an infield single off RedHawks reliever Mike Hinckley before Brendan Katin followed with a go-ahead triple to right.

Oklahoma City opened the bottom of the frame with three straight singles off Narron, the third of which by Royce Huffman brought home Max Ramirez with the tying run. Pinch-hitter Nate Gold followed with a game-winning double to left. RedHawks reliever Beau Vaughan (4-2) was awarded the victory after retiring the only batter he faced, while Narron (0-2) was saddled with the loss for Nashville.

The RedHawks jumped on the board in the bottom of the first inning when they started the contest with three consecutive singles off Sounds starter Tim Dillard, the last of which by Esteban German plated Julio Borbon with the game's first run.

Nashville grabbed a 3-1 lead in the fifth with three unearned runs stemming from a pair of Oklahoma City errors before the RedHawks tied the game at 3-3 in the bottom of the frame on Jose Vallejo's solo homer to left off Dillard, his second roundtripper of the year, and a Joaquin Arias RBI single.

Sounds catcher Angel Salome pushed the visitors back in front, 5-3, in the sixth with a two-run homer to left-center off Oklahoma City starter Josh Rupe, the backstop's third longball of the season. Adam Heether, who preceded Salome by drawing a two-out walk, also scored on the blast.

The RedHawks stormed back with three runs of their own in the bottom of the sixth to take a 6-5 advantage. Casey Benjamin chased Dillard with an RBI double before Oklahoma City touched Sounds reliever R.J. Swindle for a pair of runs, charged to Dillard, on run-scoring singles by Vallejo and Borbon.

Nashville knotted the contest at 6-6 in the top of the seventh when Joe Koshansky plated Alcides Escobar with a two-out single to left off RedHawks reliever A.J. Murray, one batter after the left-hander issued an intentional pass to Katin to bring the Sounds first baseman to the plate.

The teams continue the series with another 7:05 PM matchup on Friday evening. Left-hander Chris Cody (1-1, 1.35) will take the hill for the Sounds to face Oklahoma right-hander Elizardo Ramirez (3-5, 4.14).

Nashville Box Score

Adam Heether's OBP is .425; Wes Littleton survived five walks in three shutout relief innings...

Nashville Game Log

Joaquin Arias of the RedHawks is tagged out at home plate by Nashville catcher Carlos Corporan in the third inning of Thursday's game. Arias was 3-for-6 as the RedHawks won 8-7 in 11 innings. Photo by Bryan Terry, The Oklahoman

http://photos.newsok.com/2/showimage/581593/gallery_photo

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Birmingham (White Sox) 5, Huntsville 4

Huntsville Site Game Summary

Barons Stun Stars in Ninth

Huntsville Hanging On To Slim Division Lead

By Brett Pollock / Huntsville Stars

Dayan Viciedo singled home the game-winning run with two outs in the bottom half of the ninth inning to carry Birmingham to a 5-4 comeback win over Huntsville Thursday night in the second of a six-game series at Regions Park. The Stars dropped their second in a row to fall to 37-28 and see their lead in the North Division trimmed to a half game after Carolina split a doubleheader at Tennessee, while the Barons improved to 45-20 with their sixth walk-off win of the season.

John Axford threw 2 1/3 scoreless, hitless innings behind Stars' starter Donovan Hand and turned over a 4-3 lead to Robert Hinton in the ninth. Robbie Hudson reached with one out on a Kevin Melillo fielding error, then stole second base and swiped third base as John Shelby fanned for the second out. C.J. Retherford followed by lacing Hinton's first pitch for a double into the left field corner to plate Hudson with the tying run. The Stars intentionally walked Tyler Flowers to get to Viciedo, who lined a 1-1 pitch into left field in front of a diving Drew Anderson for the game-winning hit. Hinton suffered the loss to fall to 0-4, while Jhonny Nunez spun 2 2/3 scoreless innings, fanning six, to grab his third win.

Christian Marrero launched the first pitch he saw at the double-A level for a two-run home run to give the Barons the lead in the second inning. Flowers belted a solo shot in the third, his second of the series and third of the year against the Stars, to push the home team's lead to 3-0. Hand had surrendered just two long balls in 49 innings coming into the game. He lasted 5 2/3 innings and was charged with three runs on seven hits.

Shane Justis led off the fourth inning with a single, the Stars' first hit, stole second base and moved to third base on a one-out single by Anderson before Vinny Rottino bounced into a double play to end the inning. Barons' starter Lucas Harrell had blanked the visitors on two singles through six innings but could not make it through the seventh.

Jonathan Lucroy led off with a fly ball to shallow right field that hit off the glove of Stefan Gartrell, as he and the second baseman Retherford both made an attempt to catch the ball. Anderson then bounced a ground ball to Viciedo at third base but his throw to second base hit a sliding Lucroy to put runners at first and second base with nobody out. Rottino flied out to center field to move Lucroy to third base before Taylor Green blasted the first pitch he saw from Harrell for a game-tying three-run home run, his third of the year. Melillo followed with a double and moved to third base on a single by Freddie Parejo that knocked Harrell out of the game. Nunez took over and gave up a scoring fly ball to Johnny Raburn that gave the Stars their first lead of the night. Harrell allowed four hits, did not walk a batter and fanned three over 6 1/3 innings.

The series continues with a Friday evening twin bill, as Huntsville will send southpaw David Welch to the hill in the opener with right-hander Josh Wahpepah taking the hill in the nightcap, while the Barons will throw right-handers John Ely and Matt Zaleski. Coverage of the game begins at 4:45 PM central time and can be heard through the internet at www.huntsvillestars.com.

Huntsville Box Score

Huntsville Game Log

Archived