Brewer Fanatic

Prince's gesture towards the fans of Cleveland

PaulRigdon
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ken Griffey Jr once responded to some ribbing from my friend and I by calling us fat and pretending to eat his glove and some grass. This doesn't really make him a hot head, but it didn't make us any quieter if that was what he was trying to do, it just had the opposite effect. I think if you are giving it to a player and can't handle him giving some back then you should be quiet. Obviously on most occasions the player takes the high road but sometimes your emotions have to get the best of you they aren't robots after all. By the way

Griffey was the most distracted professional athelete I've ever seen. He spent a better part of most innings keeping up our back and forth. And for the record thats the game the Brewers came back from 7 down to beat the Reds.

There is a big difference though in messing around with the fans (like you describe Griffey doing), it is fun to have players who interact with the fans in that way. However there is a big difference between chatting or smack talking back and forth and showing an obscene gesture to them.

This thread seems to keep going round and round despite what somebody said was "three series ago". I think pretend astronaut hit on the head when he asked "Two things"

1. You don't have to cheer for him now.

2. You realize you just essentially said, "we're both entitled to our opinions, but you have to agree, mine is more correct" right?

I think it is too much "holier than thou" to decide a man's character based on two "very public" incidents, but to each his own. I won't sit here and say what opinion is correct, only to add that I've witnessed Mr. Fielder on several occassions outside of baseball, away from the game, and never considered this playful interaction with the fans to be a reoccurring attitude problem or otherwise. But like astronaut said, if you don't like his character, that doesnt preclude you from having to cheer for him now. If you don't like somebody, you don't like them, don't pretend because he wears a Brewers emblem on the sleeve. But perhaps take it at more face value, that is ribbing the opposing fans rather than a downright defamation of his own character.

Archived