Brewer Fanatic

Jonathan Sanchez Available For Cheap?

He was downright horrible tonight at home against LAA. Not saying that I will use one game & decide based on that, but the Angels hammered him the whole time he was in the game. Just smoked the ball off him.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The vibe out here on Bay Area sports talk radio is that the Giants want a bat for Sanchez. Not just any bat, but an MLB-ready, productive bat (one idea kicking around is to go after Tejada). The Giants aren't just looking for a bunch of so-so prospects. They definitely feel that, with some lineup help, they have a legit chance at the wildcard this year. Sanchez, it appears, is who they're hoping to trade to bring that lineup help in.

There has always been, in my opinion, an unwarranted amount of man-love for this guy on this site considering that he's never really done anything. That said, I probably would trade Parra for him as I'm convinced that he's tremendously overrated here as well, and frankly I'm sick of him.

If you throw both Parra and Sanchez at the wall, I am guessing one of them will find a way to stick by August. I am just saying as a buy low, it could be our best chance of getting a pitcher that can do more to help the starting staff than a Vincente Padilla type (which is all that is really going to be out there without overpaying big imho).

It just seems that the Giants might think Sanchez has far more value than he really does. We might be thinking Hardy+prospect for Cain, and the Giants would probably come back with Hardy for Sanchez. I definitely think we can do better than that for Hardy.

If you throw both Parra and Sanchez at the wall, I am guessing one of them will find a way to stick by August. I am just saying as a buy low, it could be our best chance of getting a pitcher that can do more to help the starting staff than a Vincente Padilla type (which is all that is really going to be out there without overpaying big imho).

The Brewers have already been burned by assuming Parra would be a solid member of their rotation if not a number 2. Throwing a guy will identical issues "against the wall" falls into the category of fool me twice, shame on me. They are better off with a guy who might not have the alluring upside, but who's had a proven track record. Teams out of contention can afford to "throw guys at the wall". Brewers need stability.

While I can be talked into agreeing with you John, getting, say, a Suppan-type, has a chance to end up with the same amount of egg on our faces as getting another Parra type. For cheap, I'll take Sanchez, but for the same price, I could be talked into a Padilla-type as well.

It just seems that the Giants might think Sanchez has far more value than he really does. We might be thinking Hardy+prospect for Cain, and the Giants would probably come back with Hardy for Sanchez. I definitely think we can do better than that for Hardy.
That's for sure. I think the Brewers and their fans were the same way about Parra, though that has probably changed recently. I think a trade swapping Parra for Sanchez would be interesting. The more I look at it, they are basically the same guy. People forget that Parra is as old as he is for basically being a second year pitcher, and Sanchez is the same age (thought that he would be younger). Maybe this would be a good change of scenery deal that could benefit both teams.
I am just saying as a buy low, it could be our best chance of getting a pitcher that can do more to help the starting staff than a Vincente Padilla type (which is all that is really going to be out there without overpaying big imho).
I want no part of Padilla. I'd rather take a chance with McClung or anybody else from the minors. The Brewers acquiring Padilla for their stretch run as the hired gun would be tantamount to them picking up Jerry Reuss in '89.

While I can be talked into agreeing with you John, getting, say, a Suppan-type, has a chance to end up with the same amount of egg on our faces as getting another Parra type. For cheap, I'll take Sanchez, but for the same price, I could be talked into a Padilla-type as well.

Where in my post did I say Suppan-type? Or put another way, when did Suppan become synonymous with proven major league starter? The guy I have in mind is Washburn. Washburn's career ERA is a half run lower than Suppans pitching exclusively in the AL. This year his ERA is more than a run lower than Suppans Plus he's lefthanded which is desirable for a Parra replacement. We saw this week what pitching in the AL means. Even Sabathia is human in the AL.

Penny is another guy to consider even though he's right handed but he's better than Suppan too.

I figured you meant in your previous post adding a 4th/5th type starter, which on our team would put whomever is added at about the same level as Suppan. I must've misread that. Sure, I'd love Washburn, who might be the best starter on the market and sure to command an overpayment by some team, possibly the Brewers.

Archived