Brewer Fanatic

MASN's Rob Dibble & Byron Kerr tell me Jeter is a great fielder

TooLiveBrew

From tonight's MASN broadcast of the WAS @ NYY game (I will vouch for nearly 100% verbatim accuracy here):

[Context -- Derek Jeter is batting...]

Kerr: Derek Jeter has always been a clutch hitter, especially in the postseason

Dibble: The sabermetric guys say he doesn't have any *range* [scoffs]

Kerr: Hah. How many balls do you think *they've* fielded? [scoffs]

Dibble: Yeah, how many championships do you think *they've* won? [scoffs]

Seems like they're onto something here. Since people that record objective data don't field grounders, their objective data is wiggity-wack

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Jeter's performances on defense in his career have fluctuated between horrible to above-average, so that's not too surprising to me.

My point was more the tone & arrogance with which these guys discussed & dismissed "sabermetric guys"

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

My point was more the tone & arrogance with which these guys discussed & dismissed "sabermetric guys"

FWIW, Joe Sheehan is never wrong about anything, and he has predicted everything, and he has stats to show how superior his stats are to other statistician's stats. He's as smug as they come. And Cory Schwartz is the most thin-skinned guy you'll ever hear. Jocks don't have a monopoly on arrogance or annoying statements.

That said, if you're watching Dibble, you gotta figure he's just going to dismiss all the statistical analysis, and you hope that he'll tell you about setting up a hitter, or what a reliever does to prepare, etc. He's just not equipped to talk about guys in the farm system, or roster moves, or historical perspective, or much more than baseball card stats.

• 2 months later...
As an announcer Dibble is not that great, but I enjoyed him while he was on MLB XM 175 with Kevin Kennedy. Both of them are not at all statistically versed, but when it came to behind the scenes baseball information or old baseball stories they were great.

Archived