Brewer Fanatic

Stephen Strasburg, meet Bryce Harper (2010 draft)

I'm not sure how many of you have followed, or even heard of, the development of high school sophomore sensation Bryce Harper, a player who a year ago was pegged as the easy top pick available for the 2011 draft, and one that might have given Strasburg a run for his money as the #1 overall pick this year.

As Allan Simpson reports, Harper is going to forego his final two years in high school to enter junior college and be eligible next spring for the 2010 draft.

http://www.pgcrosschecker.com/articles/DisplayArticle.aspx?article=1586

I don't think I can't say how crazy of a development this is. To no surprise, Scott Boras is his agent, always looking for new ways to improve his advisees' statuses. The Washington Nationals, put to the task of trying to sign Strasburg, still have to be licking their chops at the possibility of drafting two potentially once-in-a-lifetime prospects with back-to-back first overall picks.

If this all goes down without any snags, following the College of Southern Nevada will be like following the circus next spring. Anyone looking to make a trip to Vegas next spring should also try to check out this young phenom, much like people flocked out to see Strasburg during his spring tour.

Colby,

I live roughly 5 minutes (walk time) from the field at CSN and would be more than happy to provide some reports when I can make it over. There is a lot of talk about him locally and I am pretty excited to see him play first hand.

Wouldn't it be something if the Nationals got both of these guys? That's the way it should be too. They are in terrible shape right now and deserve to draft the best guys. I guess they just kind of lucked out about the timing of their awful teams.

So what kind of leverage would this kid have? He'll have one year of experience outside of HS at a junior college. He left HS specifically to get into the pros faster, making the threat of returning to school rather than signing pretty weak. Maybe the kid legitimately will be willing to sign a fair deal rather than a flamboyant deal in order to get to that first paycheck faster.

Sure he's doing this to get into pro ball quicker, but seeing that he could re-enroll in JC or transfer to a 4-year school, I'd say this kid would have an ample amount of leverage in his 2010 contract negotiation.

• 2 months later...

Here's my count for the unsigned early rounders (rounds 1-3):

Round 1:

Aaron Crow, Royals

Matthew Purke, Rangers

LeVon Washington, Rays

Supplemental First Round:

James Paxton, Blue Jays

Tanner Scheppers, Rangers

Second Round:

Jake Eliopoulos, Blue Jays

Steve Matz, Mets

Kenny Diekroger, Rays

Third Round:

Jake Barrett, Blue Jays

Bryan Morgado, White Sox

Josh Spence, Angels

I just heard tonight, and the word is spreading that Crow and Scheppers will be handled similar to any other college senior, and that the Royals and Rangers respectively will have until a week before next year's draft to get these young men signed. They better, particularly the Rangers since Purke is TCU bound. Although Crow and Scheppers on the flip side really, really need to begin their professional career by fall instructional camps.

Kudos to the Angels for signing Jake Locker, although at $150,000, they only did so to control his rights through 2015. That means the young man has absolutely no intention of playing baseball and will pursue an NFL career as long as someone gives him a chance. Easy money, although I'm a little surprised someone didn't try to bowl him over given some of the deals being handed out.

I believe he has to be added to the 40-man roster.

Depending on how much Strasburg is paid in the last year, this contract could actually be worth a lot more. You have to take into consideration that a player can't have their salary cut by more than 20% in any one year or 30% over 2 years.

Per Cot's

Stephen Strasburg rhp

4 years/$15.1M (2009-12)

• 4 years/$15.1M (2009-12)
    • [li]
    signed Major League contract with Washington 8/17/09
  • $7.5M signing bonus
    (paid in 3 installments of $2.5M, 9/1/09, 1/10/10, 1/10/11)
  • 09:$0.4M (pro-rated), 10:$2M, 11:$2.5M, 12:$3M

[/li]

drafted 2009 (1-1) (San Diego State) agent: Scott Boras

ML service So assuming his rookie year is 2012 he would get at least $2.4M in 2013 and $2.1Min 2013.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Logan, I was under the impression that with the talk of Strasburg possibly pitchign for the National's this year that his rookie year would be next year. At the very latest I would think his rookie year would be 2011. I admit I have very little knowledge of him or any other prospect. I could be completely wrong.

You're right Invader. There was some talk of it though. I had heard that he was capable of starting this year because his stuff was that good. I'm sure he won't but that leads me to believe he may see the big leagues next year at some point and his rookie year would be no later than 2011.

Archived