Brewer Fanatic

Your 2009 Helena / Arizona Brewers -- Latest: Eric Arnett Audio Interview

Nick Bucci helped Canada earn bronze

Dave Paul/Sarnia Observer

Sarnia's Nick Bucci was turning heads during the 2009 baseball season -- all the way from Huntsville, Alabama to Nettuno, Italy.

Bucci, an 18th round pick of the Milwaukee Brewers in 2008, enjoyed a very good season in Rookie League, as well as a cup of coffee in AA, in the Brewers system this year. But it was as a member of Team Canada at the World Baseball Cup that he really made his mark.

In three starts for the bronze medal-winning team, Bucci pitched 14.1 scoreless innings, allowing only seven hits (six of them singles).

His best performance was in a crucial semifinal matchup against Puerto Rico, when he threw five no-hit innings in Canada's 3-0 victory before having to leave the game because he had thrown 72 pitches (starter's were limited to 75).

Bucci ended up with a no-decision in the game, but his performance certainly got noticed.

"I'm really proud of Bucci," said Canadian manager Ernie Whitt after that game. "Here is a young pitcher facing some really good international competition and you see him develop every game."

"We went out there and battled," said Bucci, following his performance. "Their guys were putting up zeros and I just wanted to go out there and do the same."

Back home in Sarnia, Bucci, (at 19, the second-youngest player on the Canadian roster) said recently, the experience was unforgettable.

"The team was made up of a combination of a couple of young guys, couple of guys who were 23 or 24 and a lot of older guys," said Bucci. "It was a bit intimidating going in, but I got over it pretty quickly."

His performance against Puerto Rico (the team Canada ultimately beat to win the bronze medal -- the first ever medal for Canada at the event) was even more noteworthy because the Puerto Rican roster was loaded with former big leaguers. Among the players Bucci held hitless were former major leaguers Jose Valentin (30 home runs with the WhiteSox in 2004), former Oriole Luis Matos, ex-Pirate Carlos Rivera, former Detroit Tiger catcher Raul Casanova, ex-Royal Ruben Gotay and infielder Alex Cintron, who actually began the 2009 season in the majors, with the Washington Nationals.

"I know Puerto Rico had ex-big leaguers," said Bucci. "The competition was definitely a step up from playing in Montana."

Bucci's strong season with the Rookie League Helena Brewers was earned him an invitation to play for Canada.

The 6'2", 180 lb. right-hander was named to the league's all-star team, after leading his team in wins (six) and strikeouts (66). After beginning the year as a bullpen arm at AA Huntsville (where he went 1-0 in three appearances), Bucci was sent to Helena where he reeled off six straight wins. During one stretch, he allowed only one run in 20 innings, over three starts.

His good numbers prompted Canada coach Greg Hamilton, for whom Bucci had pitched with the 2007 and 2008 national junior team, to urge Whitt to bring Bucci into the fold with a couple of weeks still left in the Rookie League season.

Bucci said it was eye-opening to see the number of fans who came out to see the games in Europe. Canada also played games in Sweden and early round games were also held in Croatia, Czech Republic, Germany and Spain.

"But it's really starting to grow in Italy," said Bucci. "There were at least 10,000 fans at the Cuba- USA final (won by the U. S.).

"After that game, they brought us out on to the field for the medal presentation," said Bucci, adding that U2's Bono was on hand for the ceremony.

Bucci said he enjoys playing in the Brewers organization, where, with general manager Doug Melvin, of Chatham, and his assistant Gord Ash, of Toronto, "I think we must have more Canadians than any other organization."

In fact, the Brewers also selected Canadian Brett Lawrie in the first round of the draft the year that Bucci was chosen and Lawrie also played for Canada at the World Cup.

Bucci said he isn't certain where he will be playing this season, but his solid season last year would suggest a move to the 'A' Level Wisconsin Brewers, who play in Appleton.

That would be OK with him, said Bucci, because it would allow his family and friends from Sarnia to come and watch him play occasionally.

"I'm just going to go to spring training" in Phoenix, the first week of March, "and hope for the best," said Bucci. He added he owed thank yous to TD Canada Trust and Iron Works Gym for the support they have given him.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RHP Damon Krestalude with a quote at an event in his home of Port St. Lucie --

About 20 former Port St. Lucie High baseball players braved blustery 40-degree weather in Under Armour and knit caps Sunday to take cuts at the school's annual alumni game.

Even a couple foul balls off the handle in the cold couldn't spoil the 1990s versus 2000s alumni showdown for the group that features seven players with professional experience.

"It says something about the type of players we have, they all come back," said coach Tony Malizia. "During the course of the season at home games, it seems like three or four come back and sit in the dugout. It's very enjoyable, especially being a coach and having the older guys come back after they've been out of school since '93, '94."

Milwaukee Brewers prospect Damon Krestalude, a 2008 graduate who pitched the Jaguars into the state championship in 2007, threw an inning before he heads to Arizona on Saturday for the second session of the Brewers' winter program.

A 17th round pick in the 2008 draft, Krestalude had a 3-4 record in nine starts and a 5.35 ERA for the Helena (Mont.) Brewers last season. He expects to start the upcoming season with the organization's low-A affiliate, the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers, and hopes he'll make it to Brevard County to play for the high-A Florida State League club in the near future.

"Playing here (for Port St. Lucie), we were always in the hunt and in the postseason," Krestalude said. "Playing in big situations definitely helped me prepare for pro ball and keep my nerves in check."

Link while active, text follows:

WM grad ready for Brewers spring training

BY JOSH HACHAT

Newark (Ohio) Advocate Sports Writer

PATASKALA -- Eric Arnett got on a plane early this morning, heading to Phoenix to prepare for spring training.

Before leaving Ohio, he made sure to leave with a memorable moment.

The Watkins Memorial graduate and first-round pick of the Milwaukee Brewers was honored at the high school Saturday, as his No. 22 jersey was retired at a dinner that honored his career.

"This means a lot," Arnett said. "When you get a chance to come home and soak some things in, it's pretty special. This is a great experience.

"(Having the jersey retired) is something I never thought would happen. It means a lot to me."

Arnett finished off an impressive senior season at Indiana this past spring and was then selected with the 26th pick in the Major League Baseball first-year player draft.

Watkins Memorial baseball coach Donald Schone said he was excited to celebrate Arnett's time at the school.

"You don't get too many major league players -- and on top of that, a first-rounder -- so it's a very rare thing," Schone said. "It's a special night."

Arnett spent much of the evening signing autographs and celebrating, but part of him likely already was thinking about the road ahead.

He will crank up the workouts upon returning to Phoenix with hopes of opening more eyes in the organization.

"You always have goals in the back of your mind, but you have to take it a day at a time," Arnett said. "This will be my first full year, but I always have goals, whether it's move up to double-A or whatever. I just have to throw strikes and let everything take care of itself."

Arnett spent his first professional season with the Helena Brewers -- Milwaukee's rookie-level team -- going 0-4 with a 4.41 ERA in 34 2/3 innings.

Despite pitching 108 innings with Indiana in the spring -- Arnett went 12-2 with a 2.50 ERA and was a first-team All-American -- Arnett said he never had any arm troubles and felt strong all summer.

He then spent the fall pitching in an instructional league where the hard-throwing right-hander saw even more improvement.

"That really helped. You weren't really worried about stats or anything, you're just working on a new pitch or something mechanical," Arnett said. "That was real good.

"The main focus was doing the same thing with my delivery every time and working on a changeup. I got a pretty good grasp on it."

Schone also talked glowingly of Arnett's development in other areas that could pay dividends in the future.

"The biggest thing that impresses me is his maturity level," Schone said. "He's grown up and he's shown a lot of maturity.

"I think he's figured out he's capable of playing well. A lot of it is between the ears and he's figuring it out. His mental game is improving a great deal."

Arnett will start with the Brewers in spring training, getting a chance to work with the MLB team for an extended period.

From there, the Brewers will designate him to the minor leagues, but Arnett is hoping to take advantage of his time this spring.

"It will be big just to watch how the players prepare and what they do," Arnett said. "That will be really beneficial. You can learn a lot from their work ethic."

http://cmsimg.newarkadvocate.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=BF&Date=20100117&Category=SPORTS&ArtNo=1170321&Ref=AR&Profile=1006&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

Watkins Memorial baseball coach Don Schone, left, and Eric Arnett hold up Arnett's framed jersey that will hang in the halls of the high school. (Photo by Joe Hahn, The Advocate)

Outfielder Scott Krieger (19th round, 2009 out of George Mason), as well as Brevard County IF/OF Sergio Miranda (Virginia Commonwealth) were named to the 25th anniversary Silver Anniversary Team for the Colonial Athletic Association, which includes 11 current and former big leaguers, such as Justin Verlander, Sean Casey, and Brian Jordan. That's a pretty big honor, congratulations to them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anthony Witrado of the J-S spoke with Eric Arnett in his Monday notes column --

For years, Eric Arnett was a top dog, a stud at the top of the pile because of talent and hard work.

Now, he's just another face among others in the clubhouse who have been at the top at some point in their careers.

Despite being the Milwaukee Brewers' first-round pick in last year's draft, the 6-foot-5 right-hander from Indiana University is just a wide-eyed first-timer in major-league camp.

"Once I'm here, I'm back at the bottom," Arnett said. "I have to work my way back up. It doesn't matter here (where you're drafted). I'm just going to learn and take everything in and learn from these veterans that have been here."

Arnett was the 26th pick last June and received a $1.2 million signing bonus. Included in his contract was the invitation to big-league spring training, where he received the jersey number of a newcomer not expected to make the team - No. 67 - and a locker in an area away from most of the regulars. Not that it matters much to the 22-year-old.

"I'm still taking it all in," said Arnett, an Ohio native. "I'll see a guy walk by and say, 'Hey, I watched him as a kid.' It's going to be an awesome experience and I'm looking forward to it."

Arnett said he is looking forward to throwing for coaches in big-league camp, some of whom have never seen him live.

At Indiana, Arnett posted a 12-2 record and 2.50 earned-run average, with 29 walks and 109 strikeouts in 108 innings. In his first professional season with rookie level Helena, Arnett pitched in 14 games with a 0-4 record, 4.41 ERA, 35 strikeouts and 21 walks in 34 2/3 innings.

Archived