Brewer Fanatic

Barriods Signs

Pretty sure Turnbow tested positive for Andro, which at the time could be purchased at GNC. Not quite the same as something that is not legal in the United States without a prescription (or in Bonds case, something that isn't even intended for humans).

im so sick of this nonsense...

barry bonds is just a baseball player...he has about as much impact on anyone's life as garfield the cat...i suggest just letting it go.

Heck why even follow or talk about sports at all?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I agree, Patrick. Whether the Brewers win or lose really has very little impact on my everyday life. Should I be sick of the nonsense of being "up" when they win and "down" when they lose?

When confronted with someone chasing an All-time record, Bonds is not just being compared with his contemporaries in the "steroid era," but being compared with everyone who has ever donned a uniform. If he had never touched steroids, he would probably have been a first-ballot Hall of Famer. However (and I'm in the Costas "I haven't lived in a cave" camp), by taking steroids, he is surpassing some of the greatest players ever (Aaron, Ruth, Mays) who did it with pure ability. It's like giving someone a bicycle to "run" a marathon, it's just not fair.

The other side of the whole steroids thing has also been brought up. There will never be a conclusive study on how harmful steroids are to the human body, as no one is ever going to admit to using them, but the number of athletes who are passing away at alarmingly early ages is striking. While I understand the reason people take them (money and fame), it's a shame that people will adversely affect their health and quite possibly lose 30-40 years of life simply to be a better athlete.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Pretty sure Turnbow tested positive for Andro, which at the time could be purchased at GNC.

Ding ding ding! It took a page, but we finally have a winner in the Turnbow Disinformation Sweepstakes. I'm so sick of people throwing around the "well Turnbow used steroids, so there" comments.

LINK

Quote:
The USADA cited Turnbow for using a chemical derivative related to androstenedione, the substance popularized by slugger Mark McGwire in 1998, when he broke baseball's hallowed home-run record. Gene Orza, associate general counsel of the players' union, said andro is a legal supplement in the U.S.

"Derrick Turnbow did not test positive for a steroid," Orza said. "He tested positive for what the IOC (International Olympic Committee) and others regard as a steroid, but the U.S. government does not."

Quote:
I'm so sick of people throwing around the "well Turnbow used steroids, so there" comments.

I wouldn't get huffy about semantics. Since 2004, andro has been considered by the US government to be an anabolic steroid. If I say, "Turnbow took steroids" it's technically correct. Even though at the time he was tested, androstanedione was NOT considered a steroid. You can consider it dishonest not to include the timing of the definition in order to dispel the implication that he did something illegal, I do, but i wouldn't say "Turnbow took steroids" is a false statement.

If last week you ate an oatmeal-raisin cookie, but we didn't figure out until today that's what it actually was, it does not mean that you did not eat an oatmeal-raisin cookie.

Talking about Turnbow raises, instead of the legal question, the ethical question. Did Turnbow cheat? Turnbow's case is in many ways analogous to the Barry Bonds situation.

i wouldn't say "Turnbow took steroids" is a false statement. If last week you ate an oatmeal-raisin cookie, but we didn't figure out until today that's what it actually was, it does not mean that you did not eat an oatmeal-raisin cookie.

But we aren't talking here about "figuring out" the essence of something; we're talking about an altered legal definition. The Turnbow accusation is more like saying "I traveled to the Republic of Armenia in 1985." That's a false statement, because there was no Republic of Armenia in 1985. There was the same land, and the same people (give or take) -- the same essence of the thing -- but the legal designation was critically different (it was part of the U.S.S.R., for the non-Armenians out there).

But even if we were talking about the essence of the thing, the statement "Turnbow took a steroid" would be more than just semantically imprecise. As it happens, I took a steroid this morning. It's a nasal spray I was prescribed for allergies. If you described my action, in the context of my hypothetical major league baseball career, by saying "He takes steroids," that wouldn't just be a fudge; it would be a malicious slander.

Either way, if people want to "get huffy" about the Turnbow accusation, I think they have good reason, especially on a board where a lot of us get more than huffy about stuff like Gwynn vs. Gross on a daily basis.

Greg.

Archived