Brewer Fanatic

Hilarious Kansas City Royals article

Invader3K

Community Moderator

Some of those stories are really sad but really funny at the same time.

I imagine we could get together and make a list of similar Brewers moments...I'm thinking of ones that involve Chuckie Carr, Jose Hernandez, Alex Sanchez, Joe Winklesas, etc. At least our story has a happy ending.

That was one of the most enjoyable stories that I've read in a long time. It reminds me of a story in my own coaching experience. I've been a HS baseball coach for 29 years so I have many but this one might be the best. We had the bases loaded with one out. My batter hit a deep fly ball to right field. I had the runners on 2nd and 3rd tagging up and the runner on first correctly went halfway. When the right fielder caught the ball I yelled go. Unfortunately, the runner on first panicked and ran to second. Fortunately, no one noticed. However, the runner now on second, knew he had done wrong. When the pitcher came set, he tried to steal first base from second. Needless to say, he was thrown out. How many coaches can say that they had a runner thrown out legally trying to "steal" first?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Needless to say, he was thrown out. How many coaches can say that they had a runner thrown out legally trying to "steal" first?
Ok, I need a rule clarification here... If he had stayed on 2nd and someone got a hit/walk/HBP/whatever, is it automatically out when a runner reaches 1st? If he steals 3rd and is driven in by a sac fly (i.e. no one reaches 1st), can he score without tagging up (assuming the ump realized he didn't tag up)?

Some of those stories are really sad but really funny at the same time.

I imagine we could get together and make a list of similar Brewers moments...I'm thinking of ones that involve Chuckie Carr, Jose Hernandez, Alex Sanchez, Joe Winklesas, etc. At least our story has a happy ending.

One of my favorites is the game Alex Sanchez was thrown out for the cycle.

Needless to say, he was thrown out. How many coaches can say that they had a runner thrown out legally trying to "steal" first?
Ok, I need a rule clarification here... If he had stayed on 2nd and someone got a hit/walk/HBP/whatever, is it automatically out when a runner reaches 1st? If he steals 3rd and is driven in by a sac fly (i.e. no one reaches 1st), can he score without tagging up (assuming the ump realized he didn't tag up)?

The only way he would be out, is if the other team appealed first before another pitch was thrown. Once a pitch was thrown, he legally occupies 2nd base.

Not up there with Randy Johnson killing a bird with a pitch, but the video is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBc9SZ0CbrE

It'd have been funnier had the ball hit the gull before bouncing, especially if the fielder were set to catch it.

The only way he would be out, is if the other team appealed first before another pitch was thrown. Once a pitch was thrown, he legally occupies 2nd base.

There'd be no need to appeal... just throw to 1st base.

There'd be no need to appeal... just throw to 1st base.

It appears that depends on what had happened during the intervening period:

If the ball remains alive, the defensive team merely needs to throw to the base being appealed alerting the umpire as to the improper actions of the runner. In cases where the ball becomes dead, the appeal cannot be made until the ball is in the pitcher's hand while he is on the rubber and the plate umpire signals play.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0FCI/is_6_61/ai_85481742/

I had always wondered why an "appeal" was required, rather than just throwing to the base, when it is thought that a runner may have left early.

If I had to add a unique story about the brewers to that list.... I think it was the last year at county stadium when the Astros came to town. I was sitting along the first base line and the brewers were batting when I see the entire astros team, fielders, bench, bullpen, everyone, turn and sprint to right field where a "fan" was physically assaulting Astros outfielder and former brewer Billy Spiers. Before you know it, the entire Astros team has engulfed the two and all you see are cleatted shoes flailing at the "lump of trash" lying on the ground.

legacy, the best part of that was that the fan was a White Sox fan that had no business there.

Also, I remember the whole Gus the Wonderdog situation. Wasn't it gypsy moths?

I didn't know that... I was reluctant to bring it up since it reflected badly on brewer fans, but I suppose that doesn't apply then.

Archived