Brewer Fanatic

How do you define an ace?

Oldcity
"You know it when you see it" is a pretty good definition. Someone you feel real comfortable building the rest of your rotation around. Someone the other players on the team would consider an ace. A real quick example... an ace better beat a crappy Indians lefty tonight.

To me an ace is a guy that is going to go out there and give you the chance to win everytime out, work deep into games, and give the team a confidence no matter the opposing pitcher.
I think it needs to be more. That describes a #3 type pitcher to me...a Dave Bush or Brandon Looper. Someone who isn't great, but generally gets you deep into games. Much like the promis of Suppan when he came to the Brewers. Solid starter...will eat a ton of innings. I think with an ace you EXPECT him to win every game, not just have a chance to win.

Archived