Brewer Fanatic

Congrats to the Penguins!

pitchleague

You know, I'm really a closet hockey fan and I'd like to give major props to the Pittsburgh Penguins for their Stanley Cup Finals victory tonight. For what that franchise has gone through in the last year or two, they deserved it.

I mean, they were nearly called extinct until Mario Lemeiux took money out of his pocket (I think) to save the franchise. They almost lost Melon Arena. Amazing!

Hockey is a great sport and it was a great game tonight. How about that save off the rebound with 1.3 seconds left? WOW!

This is why if I have a choice of a sports video game for my desert island, I choose hockey every time. Always exciting. And when it's not, you hit guys and check 'em hard to the ice. That's exciting in it's own way.

Anybody else do the flip back and forth thing tonight or picture-in-picture during the Brewer game like me?

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Fleury and Talbot won that game for them tonight. The Pens were way too passive in the third period not wanting to make mistakes. They allowed Detroit to play in the offensive zone way too much. They're lucky they didn't go to overtime or lose.

A very exciting hockey playoffs this year that is for sure. I love the Washington and Pittsburgh series that was a fun series to watch. Ovechkin and Crosby in their prime has to be like Magic and Bird in their prime. I just wish Ovechkin and Crosby played in different divisions it would make the rivalry yes a rivalry even more fun to watch. Gotta give respect to the Red Wings though. After being a power house like the Yankees having all the top talent and the highest payroll before a cap and then come in and become salary cap geniuses in the first couple years of the salary cap years is astounding.

I used to watch hockey more but now I just watch the playoffs and the outdoor game they play that is interesting to watch I sure wouldn't watch it in person though.

Do you know who feels the worst? Marian Hossa.

Congrats to Pittsburgh. Must have been difficult for those fans to go four months without winning a championship. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

As A huge Diehard Pens fan.... this is AWESOME! Fleury was amazing, and he sometimes isn't amazing on the road. Malkin took over when Zetterberg shut Sid down. Talbot... man, talk about an unsung hero... VERY Much respect to the Wings, an amazing team, so loaded with talent. But I have to admit, I do get much joy out of seeing Hossa denied of hoisting the CUP. Where you gonna go next year, Hossa? Great series, great hockey, great playoffs. Sid... 21 years old and hoisting what is hopefully the first of many Cups! Great job, PENS! YOU GOT THE CUP!!!

I do agree. The entire third period the Penguins skated around and played very tentatively. Sorry to bust out the cliche but they played not to lose that whole period--even after Detroit scored the goal.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

A great ending to a great playoffs. Very good for the NHL to have some of their prominent young stars (Malkin, Crosby, Fleury) win the Cup.

I'm always happy when Detroit loses, but moreso this year since they ousted the Blackhawks.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I watch little NHL, but my wife's favorite co-worker is a Pens fan so she became one. When she started getting into it, I got into it.

I'll second the comment regarding the series with the Caps. That was a joy to watch.

We had the games of the Finals circled on the calendar and made sure we'd be home to watch it. Took precedant over the Brewers.

I had forgotten the franchise was almost bankrupt. Never mentioned it on the telecast. Then I saw Mario and it came back.

Typically, I don't watch a lot of hockey, but that might change after watching the NCAA playoffs (incredible UNH comeback in the regionals, unbelievable BU finish to beat Miami in the Frozen Four) and the Stanley Cup. I was literally out of my seat and screaming at the TV for the end of the Pens/Wings game last night, and I really didn't have a dog in that fight. Really good stuff ....

It's really good to read the comments by some of you who weren't fans before. I've always loved hockey and wish more people would get into it. Games like those mentioned by RU can quickly make people fans.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Must have been difficult for those fans to go four months without winning a championship.

No kidding! I tend to root for the Pittsburgh pro teams down the stretch if my team has been eliminated because of the blue collar culture.

I'm not much of an NHL guy, but c'mon, it was Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final.

Like others here, I never have been a big hockey fan, but I watched a lot of these Stanley Cup playoffs. The Caps/Pens series kinda hooked me. I'm slowly becoming a bigger fan of the NHL than the NBA, which I can basically no longer watch even though just 5-10 years ago I watched pretty much anything NBA.

I was rooting Penguins all the way and I thought for sure they were toast after game 5. Gotta love Crosby and Mahlkin is pretty underrated. Gotta love seeing the Red Wings go down, too!

I'm just the opposite. I prefer the regular season. Even though the games don't mean as much, you get a much better idea of the skills of the players. Almost anything goes in the playoffs. It's painful for me to watch that type of hockey. Anybody who could see Ovechkin play day in and day out like I have would instantly become an NHL fan. Can't stand the Pens. Nothing against the city of Pittsburgh but these guys get totally preferential treatment as far as I'm concerned. Deliberate cross check to a goalie's neck gets a $5 fine? Give me a break. If Brashear had done that he'd have been suspended for a year.

Archived