Brewer Fanatic

Umpire calls

naivin
I readily admit this just may be me, but has anyone else noticed, that the umps this year are not automatically calling guys out if the ball beats them if the runner sneaks a hand on the plate/bag. Seems in the past as long as the fielder was there waiting for the runner with the ball, it was an out...purly anectdotally, it seems like the umps are calling those plays according to what actually happens. Am I crazy?

one thing I've noticed is that whenever a Brewer hitter checks his swing, it's called a strike (often by the homeplate ump), but when other teams check their swings, the appeals are rarely called strikes. It's probably more a result of us being a free swinging bunch

one thing I've noticed is that whenever a Brewer hitter checks his swing, it's called a strike (often by the homeplate ump), but when other teams check their swings, the appeals are rarely called strikes. It's probably more a result of us being a free swinging bunch
There is nothing I hate more than an umpire that doesn't ask for help on check swings.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

anectdotally, it seems like the umps are calling those plays according to what actually happens.

I feel like I have seen that more this year than in the past too. One went the other way yesterday too, on Podsednik attempted steal where he apparently came very slightly off the bag.

I think it was last year once where some guy getting up after diving back to first on a pick-off attempt took his hand off the bag before he put his foot on. Prince kept the tag on him the whole time, but the ump either was not watching or just ignored it.

I've noticed it a little as well. I think it's kinda cool, really. Does make the players pay more attention. In Podsednik's case he'd have been fine had he waited for the time call from the umpire. I think they should have to touch the base before the tag, and stay on it.

Then again, I'm sure I wouldn't like it if on, say, a double play they didn't get the second out because the second baseman turning it missed the bag by an inch or something....

Archived