Brewer Fanatic

Pitching

Anyone have any information on Odorizzi and Lintz for this season? I know the Brewers didn't want to stress Odorizzi's arm last year after his full high school season but shouldn't these guys make an appearance in Helena? I checked the website roster and didn't see their names on it but Arnett was listed with Helena so they have updated it recently.

Anyone have any information on Odorizzi and Lintz for this season? I know the Brewers didn't want to stress Odorizzi's arm last year after his full high school season but shouldn't these guys make an appearance in Helena? I checked the website roster and didn't see their names on it but Arnett was listed with Helena so they have updated it recently.
Odorizzi is opening the season with Helena and Lintz with Arizona.

I was wondering, going forward would it be better to put the velocity range in the video threads instead of the Link Reports? Or is the Link Report better? Or both?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Jeffress is just 11 months older than Scarpetta, and he outpitched what Scarpetta is doing now 2 years ago in A ball. Scarpetta has nice stuff, but Jeffress has just as good of breaking ball, and as much velocity as anyone in baseball. Jeffress struggles with control, but so does Scarpetta. When guessing which of 2 pitchers has the best chance to improve their control, I'll take the athletic one.

I like Scarpetta, and would put him on par with the 2 other top Wisconsin power pitchers, Peralta and Frederickson. I just think, despite his early season struggles, Jeffress still has huge, attainable upside.

I believe Scarpetta and Jeffress are the same it is just that I have more confidence in Scarpetta. What I have seen from Jeffress and Scarpetta are nearly the same but I just like Scarpetta better than Jeffress. I'll take both Scarpetta and Jeffress and I believe they will be both in Milwaukee near the same time in about 3-4 years. I have more confidence in Scarpetta's stuff than Jeffress's and I have more confidence in Scarpetta fixing his location problems than I do with Jeffress and that isn't taking into consideration what Jeffress did so far this year. I just feel that Scarpetta is better but it is not by much.

• 1 month later...

Didn't know the right place for this, but TH was on the D-list and mentioned that in a conversation he had with Melvin that the GM indicated the Brewers were starting to get "re-excited" about Rogers.

I guess that's not too big of surprise. But it's nice to get some confirmation that the Brewers are willing to let themselves get excited about him after all the injuries.

Man, I've been re-excited about Rogers ever since he got on the field this year. I remember a couple of brief glimpses of him turning the corner (high Ks/low BBs in a few starts)just prior to he went down in '06. While he's had a few rough outings lately, it really seems like he's taken to the idea of 'pitching' rather than 'throwing' this time around. Hopefully he'll continue to lower that walk rate and advance through the system.

1. Peralta

2. Scarpetta

3. Braddock

I can't see much impact after these guys. Depth is not a synonym for quality. I will say that if the Brewers decide to put most of these guys in the pen they could develop a lights out pen and guys like Odo and Lintz and Fredrickson might form a dominating, inexpensive bullpen. I absolutely love Wooten's make-up but can't imagine him as anything but a long shot. I no longer think that Jeffress should be rated in our top 50 prospects. If he makes it great, I'm happy for him, but working up any kind of hope or giving the guy attention is just wasted at this point. Arnett could definitely rate among these three guys, but lets see him pitch just a little first. When I saw Peralta pitch I thought his ball was really heavy. I could totally see him as a #2 someday.

1. Braddock
2. Peralta
3. Anundson
4. Arnett
5. Scarpetta

I am very high on zach braddock and i got to see him pitch this year in Huntsville while we were on vacation and he was consistantly 93-96 and his changeup and slider were devastating. I know very little about Peralta but judging by the stuff everyone says he has he coud seperate himself however he is still in low A ball so lets see how he does a little higher up before we get carried away. And i love Anundson because it appears to me that he knows how to pitch and has life on his fastball and has put up just insane numbers in high A ball. Itd be nice to see him get bumped up to AA really soon so we can see what he can do. Arnett and Scarpetta are two other guys i need more time on but both have the stuff to be a number 2 or 3 in the bigs.

i believe our rotation of the future will be

1. Gallardo
2. Parra
3. Braddock
4. Anundson
5. Peralta

This could change depending on how Arnett does as he moves up the levels but until then i believe this will be our rotation in 2011 or 12

While we may only a few top end guys like Peralta, Braddock, and Scarpetta, we also have a lot of guys who could be valuable as the 4/5 type spot in a rotation. With the cost of pitching we can save our team a bunch of money if a couple of guys like Anundsen, Butler, Rivas, and Cody can become back of the rotation types. You also then have guys like Arnett, Odorizzi, Fredrickson, Rogers who could help the team in a few years. There is not a ton of top end talent but if we can have Yo, Parra (if he can figure it out), then some of these guys to fill out the rotation, and maybe a young pitcher from a JJ trade we should be able to keep from having to pay for guys like Suppan and Looper.

We have guys with huge, highest of high ceiling talent, but they also have very low floors.

Butler is the closest guy to the majors, and his has mid-rotation ability. I guess Chris Cody fits there too, I have no idea what to make of him.

People continue to be fascinated with Anundsen, but I guess many here used to try to compare Inman to Gallardo too, just by going on stats alone and ignoring stuff. That hasn't worked out, and Anundsen becoming an average MLB pitcher with no velocity is a just as huge of projection. He's a long shot, despite his FSL results. Yusmeiro Petit dominated the FSL too, with huge K totals and no HRs allowed, but didn't post the same results in the upper minors and isn't good enough to hold a MLB job. His stuff is pretty similar to Anundsen's.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

People continue to be fascinated with Anundsen, but I guess many here used to try to compare Inman to Gallardo too, just by going on stats alone and ignoring stuff. That hasn't worked out, and Anundsen becoming an average MLB pitcher with no velocity is a just as huge of projection. He's a long shot, despite his FSL results.
In Battlekow's interview with him at Brew Crew Ball, Anundsen says he used to be able to hit 93 mph in high school. He also says when he really rears back, he can still hit 91 when needed.

If Anundsen can ever get back to sitting at 91 mph - he becomes a very legit prospect.

1. Peralta

2. Scarpetta

3. Braddock

I'm a pretty big Peralta fan - but other than injury history, I have no idea how you can't have Braddock as the top pitching prospect. This season, between A+ and AA, he has 13.9 SO/9 and 1.9 BB/9 as a 21 year old.

Those numbers are better than when Gallardo pitched at Brevard and Huntsville - although Gallardo was also a year younger.

In Battlekow's interview with him at Brew Crew Ball, Anundsen says he used to be able to hit 93 mph in high school. He also says when he really rears back, he can still hit 91 when needed
I know he said that, but I don't know how legit that is. BAs pre-draft scouting report had him in the mid 80s, just like he is now.

I'm a pretty big Peralta fan - but other than injury history, I have no idea how you can't have Braddock as the top pitching prospect.
Until he proves he can physically handle being stretched out, he should not be considered our top pitching prospect. I do think he could pitch in the majors right now though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

1. Peralta

2. Scarpetta

3. Braddock

I'm a pretty big Peralta fan - but other than injury history, I have no idea how you can't have Braddock as the top pitching prospect. This season, between A+ and AA, he has 13.9 SO/9 and 1.9 BB/9 as a 21 year old.

Those numbers are better than when Gallardo pitched at Brevard and Huntsville - although Gallardo was also a year younger.

My rating of Braddock at number 3 is strictly based on injuries and nothing more.

This season, between A+ and AA, he has 13.9 SO/9 and 1.9 BB/9 as a 21 year old.

Gallardo was also going nearly six innings in each appearance. Braddock is going less than two innings per appearance. That's a pretty big difference.

I seen Peralta go 94, 94, 97 on the last batter of a game in Casper last summer. That was on the brewer gun that they were charting pitches with. I'll be going to a game monday and will try and get some readings from this years crop.

I'll be going to a game monday and will try and get some readings from this years crop.
Welcome aboard Cat Ferret. Any 1st hand accounts are appreciated immensely.

If Anundsen can ever get back to sitting at 91 mph - he becomes a very legit prospect.

That's a pretty huge if, but I do agree with you. Anundsen is still one of the top pitching prospects, in the top 5-7 range, due to his performance alone (and the lack of impact starting pitching prospects in the team's system), although he, like Cody, are going to be scrutinized until they prove they can get outs at the MLB level given the lack of average to below-average stuff.

Braddock is a tough one, because a lot of people still assume that he will return to the starting rotation, but how do we know that actually will occur? He's had a hard time staying healthy, and the bullpen might be the only place for him to make a big-league career given his arm troubles. His upside obviously is immense, but you really have to temper your expectations with him until he can put together one, if not two, injury-free seasons together. The same was true for Parra not too long ago.

Peralta is going to have another significant jump on my personal P50 list the next time I take a stab at that.

Archived