Brewer Fanatic

33-27 vs 32-28

RoseBowlMtg

So we are one game ahead of last year:

08 vs 09

ave: .247 vs .253 ( we're hitting 6 points worse)

obp: .323 vs .335 (we're getting on 12 points better)

slg: .415 vs .412 (we're slugging 3 points worse)

ops: .739 vs .746 (7 points better)

era: .415 vs .412 ( 3 pts better)

New manager and coaches and pretty similar results so far. We're getting incredible production out of our closer compared to last year and Rickie, Prince, Cameron, Braun and Counsell have been plusses. Too early to say much but with better production we are the same.

Great side-by-side comparison. Thanks.

Not to quibble, but is our production really all that much better? For the guys you mentioned, sure, but the overall numbers look almost the same. So we're taking hits at other positions vis a vis last year, right? Or am I misreading your point?

Wow, it's amazing how quick things appear to change. At game 50 this year, they were 30-20. In 2008 they were 23-27. That's a huge difference. A bad 10 game stretch has clouded the season a bit.

I think they are starting to miss Weeks. Or at least the performance Weeks was giving them this year. The current 2B platoon has done pretty well, about league average, but it's a big dropoff from Weeks.

I am concerned. Right now we have a serious hole at lead off, and several holes at the bottom of the order. Those numbers obviously include the time Weeks was here. This may not be completely accurate, as I calculated it very quickly, but prior to May 18th (first game without Weeks) they were scoring over 5 RPG. May 18th and after, they are 3.9 RPG. That is concerning. Braun and Fielder can do a lot of damage, but guys have got to be at least getting on base and coming up with some timely hits around them.

I have said since the day it happened that they have to go outside the organization to find a lead off hitter, preferably one that can play 2B.

Losing Weeks hurt the offense but it is nowhere near responsible for the poor showing lately. McGehee and Counsell have combined for as high an OBP as Weeks had, just less power.

Our 2B on the year have a line of .282/.348/.472/.820.

Weeks had a line of .272/.340/.517/.857.

If you subtract Weeks out of that first number there isn't a big difference, higher OBP, lower SLG.

Hart, Cameron, Hardy and Hall all slumping at the same time has pretty much killed the offense.

When you have Kendall playing almost every day, the pitcher's spot in the order, two OFs and the left side of your infield struggling to do much of anything at the plate, you're not going to do much offensively. Shoot, that only leaves Braun, Fielder, and Counsel/McGehee as doing anything - very easy to pitch around.

Weeks' injury did indeed hurt, but him being in the lineup right now wouldn't significantly improve things unless other guys start hitting again.

Is there somewhere I can find what the production from a particular spot in the order has been, regardless of who's in it - particularly the lead off spot. Obviously having multiple guys slumping is a killer, but I would submit that struggles at the top of the order helps contribute to those slumps somewhat. Its not surprising, especially given where they were, but Counsell's numbers have declined steadily since May 17th, and have been terrible in June (Avg was .324 on 5/17 - .265 since, including .200 in June).

Brewer Leadoff hitters are hitting .254/.315/.402/.718 on the year which is pretty dreadful once you subtract out what Weeks did.

That includes Weeks? Wow. Allow me to be a broken record for a minute...We need to acquire a lead off hitter. Ideally one that can play 2B.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Brewer Leadoff hitters are hitting .254/.315/.402/.718 on the year which is pretty dreadful once you subtract out what Weeks did.

That includes Weeks? Wow. Allow me to be a broken record for a minute...We need to acquire a lead off hitter. Ideally one that can play 2B.

That can't be with Weeks. Our 2B has been the leadoff 90% (guess) of the time. And as Ender mentioned above, here are their lines:

Non-Weeks .282/.348/.472/.820.

Weeks .272/.340/.517/.857

Which both are way better than listed as leadoff...

It doesn't include Weeks.

Counsell has a .615 OPS as a leadoff hitter this year, all of his damage was done batting 2nd. I was surprised too because I had the same logic in my head as what you suggested CheezWizHed.

Hart has 6 games of .464 OPS leadoff. That number also includes any pinch hits for the lead off hitter etc as well.

McGehee is getting better with more playing time, while Counsell is getting worse.

The season started with everybody but Kendall and Hardy hitting. Even Counsell. So, I suppose if Weeks were healthy he might be slumping too. I'm OK with McGehee playing most days at 2B. Hopefully Gamel will warm up with more playing time. It may be time to sit Hart more.

The season started with everybody but Kendall and Hardy hitting. Even Counsell. So, I suppose if Weeks were healthy he might be slumping too.

Or, he might still be providing stability and consistency in the lead off spot, hitting, getting on base, and making life easier for everyone else, thus avoiding some of these slumps. Obviously, no way to know for sure. I honestly do not believe the 1+ rpg difference is mere coincidence.

The season started with everybody but Kendall and Hardy hitting. Even Counsell. So, I suppose if Weeks were healthy he might be slumping too.

Or, he might still be providing stability and consistency in the lead off spot, hitting, getting on base, and making life easier for everyone else, thus avoiding some of these slumps. Obviously, no way to know for sure. I honestly do not believe the 1+ rpg difference is mere coincidence.

Unlike the "slumpers" Weeks was actually hitting better as the season progressed. I agree with you, the run difference since his injury is no coincidence. They miss his bat. His OPS leading off an inning was .849. Batting with no outs, .860; with one out, .885; with 2 outs, .817. I realize the small sample size caveat applies, but clearly Rickie was making things happen and probably on his way to a career year.

Archived