Brewer Fanatic

Should Miller Park add curtains? Latest: Braun With Strong Words (Post # 60)

AJAY
  • Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why isnt there A/C or (Im assuming) no heat in Miller Park? If anyone has a reason why I would like to hear it. Just seems odd not having those two.

There is no A/C installed in Miller Park, but there is heat. If I remember what I heard when Miller Park opened that they can heat it up to 30 degrees warmer than the outside temperature.

Why isnt there A/C or (Im assuming) no heat in Miller Park? If anyone has a reason why I would like to hear it. Just seems odd not having those two.
It would be incredibly expensive to retrofit an A/C system to the park, not to mention the added electricity costs. And where would the A/C infrastructure go? Most large buildings have the A/C units on the roof. Even without that option, the building was not planned to have A/C from the start, so something would have to move to make room for the new equipment.

After seeing AJAY's concept sketch, I could be convinced that it might not be such a bad idea. I'd think the easiest way to add the curtains might be to add them to the inside of the window. Probably wouldn't be too difficult to have the curtain bunched up above or below and some automated pulley system that could unfold it either up or down the window when needed. Though it'd be nice for the aestetics if it was translucent, so the RF terrace wouldn't feel like the bat cave.

The main problem may be when the main shadow line is between the pitcher and hitter but looking a Ajay's pictures, I would think the ball alternating dark and light when passing through the window pane shadows would also be distracting. This picture looks like it could be a 6pm start with the window sun lighting up the batter's eye.

http://www.thedailyparker.com/content/binary/MillerPark_0963.jpg

The roof sun never lights up the batter's eye. The window sun is just wierd with the checkerboard pattern.

I'll have to look next time I'm there but isn't their ductwork on the inside of the windows that would interfere with a curtain?

I think the original specs were that MP could be heated 25 degrees over the outside temp, but it's proven to be only 20 degrees. I believe it was also designed so it could be air conditioned at some point. I think the existing heating ductwork could be used as cold air sinks. But this isn't Houston or Miami where it's really needed imo though a few hot, rainy days where the roof is closed can be miserable.

I'm not an architect or anything but I would guess that adding a "sun shield" like that would be both difficult on a finished building and also quite expensive.

As far as A/C, I can't imagine a system would be that efficient. There's all sorts of gaps and such for air to escape out of the stadium. I guess I would also say that if you're at a day game in July or August you should expect it to be fairly hot anyway.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

In other words, it effects both teams, so what's the big deal?

I know this might be picky, but based on the time of day and who is batting it's not going to impact each team equally. I wouldn't mind it as much if it was exactly the same issue for both teams.

I wonder if teams try to use the shadow at all to their advantage when pitching? Buying more time and waiting for the shadows to move so that you're team doesn't have it might not be super far fetched...

I'm not an architect or anything but I would guess that adding a "sun shield" like that would be both difficult on a finished building and also quite expensive.
We just need to get funding from Mr. Burns.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Ka_vdcAq2is/RuKuMCX_UVI/AAAAAAAAAlM/t6IByhzNxTU/s320/128.+Who+Shot+Mr.+Burns+-+Part+1.bmp

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I'm not saying that no one else has ever complained but the Brewers have played in this stadium for 8+ years. Seems like if the team had won 6 of the last 7 we wouldn't be hearing these comments. I just don't recall other players complaining this way about shadows.

I can't speak for others, but just for the record . . . I am personally not complaining about the shadows just because the team lost a few games recently. I never liked the shadows since the day the ballpark opened in 2001. I recall a lot of players complaining about the shadows since the opening season of this ballpark. For me, it just cheats the integrity of the game when players can't even see properly. It doesn't matter who wins or loses on a particular day.

Even when Ben Sheets had his 18-strikeout game, it kind of bothered me that he was helped by the terrible visibility that afternoon. It just didn't seem the same as if he had done it under more normal circumstances.

You'd have to check old articles from the 1990s, but if I remember correctly, Miller Park is set up so air conditioning could be added relatively easily.

The problem I see is that it takes a long time to air condition the parks that use it. They turn it on well before game time. In Milwaukee's case, the roof is closed when rain starts. If the game is already going on, there really wouldn't be time for the cooling to have enough effect for people to benefit.

In the case of heat, when it's really needed, the team will know it and get it going in advance. If the situation is borderline and the roof is closed at game time, it's not that cold to begin with. Heat is either barely needed, or it wouldn't take much to get it to have an effect.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

That may be the case AJAY I just don't recall people complaining about it. When Sheets struck out 20 against the Braves people discussed the sun on the batters eye. It just wasn't a negative thing that day. When the team is winning the shadows are a non issue. I'm sure some people like yourself have disliked it all along though.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I just can't see the need for AC. How many days a year is it uncomfortably HOT in Wisconsin? 15? 20? How many of those are home games (roughly half, would be a safe estimate). I can't see spending the money to acquire, install, and operate a unit that may be truly useful a dozen days a year.

I mean, what's next, a giant dehumidifier if it's over 65% humidity?

I'm all for advancement in the name of comfort, but at the same time, there's a point of diminishing returns. I'm not one of those guys that say "baseball was meant to be played outside", but at some point, you just have to let some environmental conditions be part of the game.

The stadium was designed to one day accomodate A/C, however, I've heard the cost in Phx/Hou can be around $50k per game! Plus, Miller Park doesn't completely seal. What I wish the Brewers would do is post on brewers.com a forecast for Roof open, panels open; roof open, panels closed; roof closed, panels open; roof closed panels closed. That's what they've done in AZ in the past. I always think they should err on the side of keeping the roof open, because fans that didn't bring sweatshirts were being stupid!

Yes, if it is 65 degrees and you wear flip-flops, shorts, and a t-shirt and have seats in the shade...too bad, you are a dope and I should not have to have the roof closed and heat on to accomodate your foolishness.

Agree that they should put out that information on the roof "forecast"...eg. "50% chance roof open today". They should also state ballpark temp forecast...eg. "63-69 deg, feels like temps will be as low as 58 in shade, and as high as 82 in sun".

The only reason for putting in A/C would be to reduce humidity on days when it is hot and humid and the roof is closed due to rain. I could see if they did have A/C, though, that some fans would start complaining that they were not closing the roof on hot days, when there is no chance of rain.

No AC. Next thing you know, they will start closing the game when the temperature hits 85 to satisfy "casual fans" as I said before, that roof should be open if it is not raining as long as the temperature is over 50 degrees or so. I'm tired of going to games in April when it is sunny and low 60's and the roof is closed.

Call me a purist, but baseball is meant to be played outside.

Yeah, I agree that the idea of a "stadium forecast" would be really nice. Kind of surprised they don't already have one, actually.

As far as the A/C...I think that is maybe stretching the expectation of what is reasonable for the Brewers to do to accommodate the fans. I can probably count on one hand all the games I've been to over the years where it's been so hot I wasn't comfortable sitting there for a couple hours. If I'm in the sun and it's really hot, I can always walk inside the stadium where it's much cooler and get a drink or something. I get that others may feel differently though.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I don't understand why people feel the need to complain about every little thing. Now shadows are apparently too big of an obstacle for professional athletes to deal with. "For he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good." In other words, it effects both teams, so what's the big deal?

I couldn't have set it better myself. I'm not for curtains, sheilds, anything. These are the conditions. Live with it.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Don't the Brewers have the best home record in baseball over the last 4+ years? (or at least the best in the NL). If anything, it would appear that the stadium quirks have helped the home field advantage.

During several telecasts, Schroeder has said the most difficult time for the players to hit is when the mound and the batter's box are covered in shade but the batter's eye is in the sun. He's heard this from several players.

Actually, I think it's kind of a neat quirk the more that I think about it. Lots of stadiums have something unique opponents have to deal with...Wrigley have the ivy, Fenway has the Green Monster, Houston (whatever they're calling it these days) has that mound and flagpole. Miller Park has "the Shadow." I can live with that, hopefully our players can too.

Archived