Brewer Fanatic

Should Miller Park add curtains? Latest: Braun With Strong Words (Post # 60)

AJAY

I saw some of the highlights from today's afternoon game against the Rockies. The sun and shadows looked absolutely brutal late in the game. I seriously think the Brewers management should consider adding some kind of retractable curtain system to block the sunlight coming in from the windows on the firstbase/ rightfield side of the ballpark. I know it would get darker in the ballpark, but I think the visibility is awful for the players. In fact, it's even hard to watch on TV as well.

I think something has to be done to fix this problem.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

How about they just open the roof on bright, warm sunny days like today...

On a more serious note, the shadows did not reach the field until the bottom of the 9th, which was around 4:30 PM. Most games would have already been over. The Brewers also seemed to do better on offense when the sunlight started to get in the way.

How about they just open the roof on bright, warm sunny days like today...
Are you saying the roof was closed today? If so, that's beyond ridiculous and more than a little embarassing.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Does anyone know the "formula" they use for opening or closing the roof? Today seems like a day where it definitely should have been open. Just my opinion, but baseball is meant to be played outdoors if possible.

Does anyone know the "formula" they use for opening or closing the roof?

I think 70 degrees is the magic number for opening the roof.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I think they want it to be comfortable for the fans. So when it's in the 60s like it was today, fans wearing shorts and t-shirts are going to be pretty cold, especially when they aren't in the sun. Although when the roof is closed, it's pretty muggy and uncomfortable inside the stadium, even in colder weather so I'd prefer the roof be open on days like today.

The point of a retractable rook IMO, is to prevent rain delays. If its above 60 and its not really windy or raining, the roof should be open. If the point is to keep fans comfortable why dont we just close the roof when it gets above 85 and AC the whole place.

Its a retractable roof not a dome.

Miller Park seems to have some nasty shadows for day games. It's the worst when it moves from home plate to the mound during the game. I have to imagine this makes it a bit more difficult for the players.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Ben Sheets always enjoyed the sun/shadow lines. Seems like his biggest KO days were day games (Atlanta w/ 18 KO). Normally, it seems to work to our advantage, we just didn't use it yesterday.

All parks seem to have their quirks and normally it isn't a serious issue.

I think 70 degrees is the magic number for opening the roof.
I thought I had heard 65 or so.

Yesterday's weather was odd. In the parking lot before the game, it felt somewhat chilly with the wind, but then when the wind died down it felt fairly warm. I think yesterday was just one of those borderline kind of days where they probably decided to keep it closed.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I was on the 3B side, and noticed the sun getting quite annoying. It got hard to look back at the plate. I would hate to track a ball in that.

As for the roof, I had a jacket, could have easily stood the roof open. If not, then why not the outfield screens, at least?

It is disappointing that MB keeps the whole roof thing such a secret, and an inconsistent one at that.

I wish they'd close the roof when the temperature approaches 90. On games I've been to with the roof open I've noticed there is no breeze in there. Pack 35,000 people in there and you can't breathe on hot days.

Sorry...NO!

Curtains would be a horrible idea. One of the things that makes the park different from a permanent dome is having that glass area rather than just opaque walls.

As for the roof decisions, with the wind off the lake yesteday, I think it may have been a bit cool. In the morning at home (in Waukesha County), I had thought they could have gone either way. By the time I got out of the car at the ballpark, I thought it would get a little cool if it had been open. However, it seems to me that the team looks for reasons to close the roof, rather than reasons to open it. They also seem to be excessively worried about changing it at any time during the game. I'd vote to have it open anytime one can be comfortable sitting still in the shade for 3 hours by wearing a light jacket or sweatshirt. I'd put that temperature at about 65 degrees.

(what is with you people that think they need to make it comfortable for you to wear shorts and a t-shirt no matter what the actual weather is, if it is going to be 65 put some clothes on!)

Yesterday it was apparently only 58-62 at the ballpark during the game, with 25 mph wind coming off the lake, according to intellicast.com historical observations for West Milwaukee. Meanwhile in Waukesha it was 65-70 degrees.

I wish they'd close the roof when the temperature approaches 90. On games I've been to with the roof open I've noticed there is no breeze in there. Pack 35,000 people in there and you can't breathe on hot days.

You do know there is no A/C...why would you want it closed. The hot days when it is closed due to rain are the worst.

I've noticed with the roof closed that there is more ventilation in some areas than other. For instance, it seems to me there is less in the outfield loge and field levels than there is in the seats on those levels that are behind the plate.

Community Moderator

Roof Stats from the J/S:

This year: closed 22 times (likely 25 by Sunday)

2008: closed 33 times

2007: closed 33 times

2006: closed 49 times (possibly due to repairs)

I'm not sure what the exact reason for the closures has been. It has not been a cold spring, as the May temperature in Milwaukee was 1.1 degrees above normal and April was 0.1 degrees below normal. June has been chilly but the Brewers have only played 3 home games so far in June.

In my opinion, the problem is that people have gotten used to wearing shorts and t-shirts to games. There is nothing wrong with going to a game wearing pants and a sweater, which would make a 65 degree day comfortable. It seems to me like Wisconsinites complain about the weather far more than anywhere else I have been, so I guess it isn't too much of a surprise that people would prefer to be indoors on a 65 degree day.

For this to change, the Brewers would have to announce that they are going to start opening the roof when the weather is colder. They should also post the roof status on brewers.com a few hours before the game.

How about curtains to keep people from going to their seats mid at-bat? That would be awesome.
I would pay $5 more per ticket if I could be guaranteed that no clowns would be moving in and out of the seating area while there is action on the field.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

You do know there is no A/C...why would you want it closed. The hot days when it is closed due to rain are the worst.

I've noticed with the roof closed that there is more ventilation in some areas than other. For instance, it seems to me there is less in the outfield loge and field levels than there is in the seats on those levels that are behind the plate.

Honestly, I didn't know that! A few years back I was at a sold out game against the Twins. Outside temperature at 6 PM was in the low 90's and and very humid. I must have sweated out 15 pounds the first two innings. Sometime in the middle innings they closed the roof and the place instantly got more comfortable. I figured it was due to air conditioning! We were on the field level up from the 3rd base dugout.

How about curtains to keep people from going to their seats mid at-bat? That would be awesome.
I would pay $5 more per ticket if I could be guaranteed that no clowns would be moving in and out of the seating area while there is action on the field.
The game Wednesday was ridiculous in sec. 230. Seemed like every really big point in the game. I wish more people had a sense of what is going on.

The whole roof opened/closed debate pops up all the time. I guess I'm in the minority that believes the roof should be closed when there is any doubt.

Yesterday was an iffy day. If you were downtown it was in the 50's. If you were west it was closer to 70. As pointed out on many posts here not all parts of the park are the same temperature. There can be as much as a 20 degree difference between the shaded and sunny parts of the park. The only part I don't like about domed stadiums is the artificial surface. As long as they are playing on grass, it doesn't matter to me if the roof is open or closed. I prefer that it be closed if it means I'll be more comfortable.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

A few years back I was at a sold out game against the Twins. Outside temperature at 6 PM was in the low 90's and and very humid. I must have sweated out 15 pounds the first two innings. Sometime in the middle innings they closed the roof and the place instantly got more comfortable. I figured it was due to air conditioning! We were on the field level up from the 3rd base dugout.
You were not in the sun, before they closed it were you? Otherwise, it could be that they closed the roof due to an approaching storm and the outisde temp dropped when the storm got there.

I do know what you mean about the lack of airflow, even with the roof open. I think they should have made some of the windows on the 1st and 3rd base sides openable, like the outfield panels. On warm days the park is too enclosed, even when it is open.

Sorry...NO!

Curtains would be a horrible idea. One of the things that makes the park different from a permanent dome is having that glass area rather than just opaque walls.

Well is there any way they can tint the windows? The shadows are kind of pathetic. I watch a lot of games via the road teams that are playing in Milwaukee and I wouldn't call it complaining, but to me the general thought is that it's one of the worst day game places to play according to these broadcasts. I just think it's sad that timing of the shadow can literally determine how difficult it is going to be for one team. I'd like to see something changed. I'm more worried about that than whether or not the roof is open.

Archived