Brewer Fanatic

Trade chatter heating up (6/11)...

That is what I am wondering to....if a deal is 'pending'. what is it 'pending'? physicals? no-trade clause removals? negotiating contract extensions? picking players (like SZbrewrefan mentioned re: cc trade)?
At this point, I'm not sure. It would be interesting to see if anyone's slated to come off the DL in the very near future (either an outbound prospect or an inbound player), as maybe it's health that's holding someone up.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At some point did Doug Melvin really refer to fan message boards as "internet geeks". That doesn't sound like something he would say....Hardicourt yes, but I think I would fall off my chair if I heard Melvin say that. Particularily if he followed it with an "and that!"

I am a little late to this, but is the suggestion here that DM may be somewhat playing one team against another (i.e., SD and SEA/CLE) for a package of Brewer players/prospects? So if SD doesn't accept by a certain point, he moves immediately to plan/team B? Would seem very shrewd on his part of he could do it...certainly would strengthen the Brewers position in trying to not only get the deal done, but done in mid-June.

That is what I am wondering to....if a deal is 'pending'. what is it 'pending'? physicals? no-trade clause removals? negotiating contract extensions? picking players (like SZbrewrefan mentioned re: cc trade)?
At this point, I'm not sure. It would be interesting to see if anyone's slated to come off the DL in the very near future (either an outbound prospect or an inbound player), as maybe it's health that's holding someone up.

Only two notable SP coming off the DL in the future would be Webb (rehab is going well, possibly return next month) and Kazmir (who's throwing a sim. game today)...so perhaps its not health holding things up (at least on the inbound player end of things)

Scotty Kazmir is coming off of the DL pretty soon. That would be an interesting pick-up. Webb is another, but he's going to be coming back a bit later. Man this is fun. Here's hoping we will find out soon. Thanks to all the insiders.

The fun part about reading all of this is think back 10-12 years ago. Heck, 8-9 years ago. Would anybody have seriously thought about some of the best pitchers on the block could or would come to Milwaukee? NO way! It goes to show what the leadership of the team over the last 10 years has done to make this team a contender, and one that players actually want to come play for, not as a last resort!

Only two notable SP coming off the DL in the future would be Webb (rehab is going well, possibly return next month) and Kazmir (who's throwing a sim. game today)...so perhaps its not health holding things up (at least on the inbound player end of things)
It doesn't stand a snowball's chance, but Harden should be coming off the DL really soon. If we're going to count Webb as a possibility, I'll toss out the name of Justin Duchscherer ... I think he's on about the same timetable.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

...unless the player's a throw-in (like a so-so reliever or a bench guy)
Right, that makes sense. But a guy like Webb? I just can't really see it right now. If they're trying to trade for a starting pitcher, it's presumably because they want someone who is sure to help them win this season, not next season or to build depth for the future (not that such a thing wouldn't be a nice after-effect).
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I don't frequent the rumors forum all that much, so I just read the entire 11-page thread. Needless to say, I'm pumped.

All the names mentioned already are pretty exciting, to the point where it's getting hard to think about what would be realistic. I'm sitting here trying to figure out what it would take to get Zack Greinke. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

WisconsinSportsRule wrote:

I have no problem trading JJ, but I'm paranoid about trading Escobar.

Personally I don't understand what the big deal about Escobar is. Sure he plays great "D", but offensively he leaves much to be desired. He has a career minor league OPS of .706 and has never OPS'd over .800. I worry that he'll be nothing but a light hitting good defense SS. I'd much rather hold onto Hardy and trade Escobar, although I understand financially that could be difficult.

If Escobar is having his best year this year, how is that fair to bring up his past numbers when he was 19,20,21...etc I understand that's really all you can go off of, but this could the year he's starting to put it together offensively. Wasn't Ozzie Smith a light hitting good defense SS?

So who the heck is the fallback option if he still hasn't been mentioned in this thread?

Based on teams that are out of contention (Or Close to it)

Orioles - I can't imagine any of their starters are on the block

Royals - Gil Meche?, Brain Bannister?

A's - Not really anything worth getting

Indians - Cliff Lee (Mentioned), Pavano

Nationals - Doubt they are trying to trade any starters since their SP already sucks so bad

Astros - Oswalt

Pirates - Snell, Gorzo

D backs - Sharpie, Haren (Mentioned), Garland

Rockies - Cook

Of course this could also be a contending team with an abundance of SP as well (Red Sox). I can't imagine the Sox would trade any of their top 4.

Archived