Brewer Fanatic

Trade chatter heating up (6/11)...

Because when you're passing inside information, you don't name names, or next time you don't get the information. If I told you something important and you ran around and told the world "Seth said Kevin wants to date Julie", chances are Kevin isn't going to tell Seth anything ever again, nor will Seth tell you anything because you blabbed it to the world.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because when you're passing inside information, you don't name names, or next time you don't get the information. If I told you something important and you ran around and told the world "Seth said Kevin wants to date Julie", chances are Kevin isn't going to tell Seth anything ever again, nor will Seth tell you anything because you blabbed it to the world.
That's a bunch of crap. Kevin would never date Julie.

lol I hate you!

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Why can't you mention the name of the player that was mentioned? I don't understand how that would affect anything.
Because if you keep it vague, then regardless of what happens, your "scoop" can't be considered wrong. If the Brewers acquire any starter...the scoop isn't wrong. I don't feel any different today than yesterday when someone says, "The Brewers are going to acquire a starter, but I dont know who" That was pretty much a given all year. But Brian's information that something is in the works soon is still exciting.

EDIT: What I have heard is the Brewers already have a deal in place to acquire a starter and if that deal falls through it will be someone else--and that name was specifically mentioned.

The way I read this is that Jake Peavy is the fall-back option. Am I getting ahead of myself? Because that's just downright exciting.

If you're thinking Peavy, I think he would be the main option. You have a deal for Peavy, if he doesn't waive his no trade clause then you move on to the next pitcher.

Because if you keep it vague, then regardless of what happens, your "scoop" can't be considered wrong. If the Brewers acquire any starter...the scoop isn't wrong. I don't feel any different today than yesterday when someone says, "The Brewers are going to acquire a starter, but I dont know who" That was pretty much a given all year. But Brian's information that something is in the works soon is still exciting.
Speaking from someone who has been in the position to pass on rumors before, it's a tricky situation. And in this case, Richie's info is as good as mine.

Brian the Automator wrote:

Speaking from someone who has been in the position to pass on rumors before, it's a tricky situation. And in this case, Richie's info is as good as mine.

I don't doubt him really Brian, and you know me, I was a Brewers employee until this season and have scooped a few items of my own. As someone who provides a scoop, if it isn't a sure thing, I don't think you can mention the name. Your credibility is shot and it serves no purpose to be wrong. That is all I was saying, I dont doubt that he knows more than he is saying, he just can't say and risk it not happening and be called "wrong". Hopefully it's a #1 or #2 guy on somebody else's staff. I'm glad something is cooking sooner than later.

If you're thinking Peavy, I think he would be the main option. You have a deal for Peavy, if he doesn't waive his no trade clause then you move on to the next pitcher.
Yeah, after re-reading what Richie posted, I see what he meant. Where I took "--and that name was specifically mentioned", to mean, 'this name has been mentioned already in rumors' ... what he actually meant was that he, himself (Richie), had a name specifically mentioned to him.

In either event, it's just really exciting to know that both Plan A & Plan B are front-line starters.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

RyDogg66 previously posted in the Peavy forum...
"By the way, if Peavy has dropped his no trade to Milwaukee and Melvin and Towers are talking, I could see something happening shortly after the draft, once Melvin sees what his haul is and where the organization stands depth-wise."

Regardless if it's Peavy or not, a possible trade this short after the draft is worth noting. Nice post RyDogg66.

Good memory, brewtank. I remember thinking RyDogg had made a solid post at the time... looks downright 'Nostradomical' at this point http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

i would think it would be JJ. The brewers are not going to trade a player they can have on the cheap for 3 years that has been compared to ozzie smith. I can't wait for the end of this game to see if something is announced this evening. it is weird that most of the team sat today.

Archived