Brewer Fanatic

Trade chatter heating up (6/11)...

It's easy, if you don't want to listen/read to reader spam, don't open the email. I personally don't have a problem with him not reporting the rumor, that's not the issue. The issue is him whinning over listening to rumor. It's like that girl who listens to the gossip, then doesn't like what message was told by the gossiper. Hello McFly?!?!?!?!

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It easy, if you dont' want to listen/read to reader spam, dont open the email. I personally don't have a problem with him not reporting the rumor, that's not the issue. The issue is him whinning over listing to rumor. It's like that girl who listens to the gossip, then doesn't like what message was told by the gossiper. Hello McFly?!?!?!?!
Actually this is more like a kid(readers that email him) screaming over and over that there is a monster in the closet. After awhile as a parent you have to go in there and show them that there is nothing there know full well that of course there is going to be nothing there.

Actually this is more like a kid(readers that email him) screaming over and over that there is a monster in the closet. After awhile as a parent you have to go in there and show them that there is nothing there know full well that of course there is going to be nothing there.

Exactly hit on the head. And the parent's job isn't to whine about the kid screaming for the monster. All kids scream about monsters. Don't huff and puff that you have to do your job as a parent.

Back to the rumour mill. Here's hoping today's outing by Parra spurs Melvin to go out and get something. At this point, I'd be all for giving up a middle-tier prospect for a #3 type starter, doesn't have to be a front line guy anymore. I think we need to tread some water for a while.

Back to the rumour mill. Here's hoping today's outing by Parra spurs Melvin to go out and get something.

We have Melvin saying that pitching isn't available right now, and a cursory look at where teams are would mostly back that up. At this point we're more likely to see someone come up to replace Parra than a trade to replace him.

Garland and Davis are probably available right now, but I think I would rather save the few dollars that might be available for a difference maker at this point.

Honestly, I wouldn't be opposed to Garland or Davis if Melvin could also get Arizona to throw in someone like Felipe Lopez, too. He's been hitting very well to this point and could start at 2B, giving Counsell and McGehee a chance to stay fresh.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Davis would be an improvement. And he might only take a B-ish prospect to get, compared to the frontline starters. I guess that could be an interesting little exercise: What would be the expected upgrade with Davis compared to any other rumored pitcher, and what would be the expected package to get him compared to others. After looking at this a little longer, I'm liking the concept of Davis a little more compared to what I expect other pitchers to command in trade.

I have no desire to see Davis a in Brewer uniform again... ever.

I'd rather go with one of the young kids than give up something for another back of the rotation arm. If they want to make trade, get significant talent, don't let prospects go for DD types.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I'd rather go with one of the young kids than give up something for another back of the rotation arm.

Davis obviously doesn't have great stuff, but I don't see how anyone can support the claim that he is back of the rotation.

If you think he's a sub 4 ERA pitcher then I guess there's nothing to discuss. His BB/9 is 3.6 and his K/9 is 6.5 and his H/9 at 8.1 is the lowest it's been in since he was 29 years old pitching in Milwaukee. His K/BB ratio falls in between Looper and Suppan, he doesn't have great stuff, and I don't think he'll maintain his Hit rate or his ERA. The previous 2 seasons his hit rate was 9.9, but he's still giving up more than 1 HR per game even though his hits are down this season. Maybe he's found one last year good year in the sun, maybe he's been lucky as you stats guys are so fond of saying, but there's no way I'd want him back pitching in Miller Park. His stuff and peripherals are around the same level as Looper and Suppan, so yes he's a back of the rotation starter who is having his best season since 2004. When I say "back of the rotation" I mean 3, 4, 5... I'm really only interested in acquiring arms that have the potential to be 1s and 2s.

I'm not willing to bet on a 33 year old having another near career year when it's all said and done even if it is a contract year. He's a 2.5 WAR player in AZ, I'm not so sure he would be that good in Milwaukee. Let's say he would pitch at the same level all season and approach 3 WAR, are we going anywhere in the playoffs with Yo, Bush, and Davis headlining the playoff rotation with an up and down offense? Will Yo even be effective late in the season after pitching so few innings last year? With Yo being unknown on the back end of the season, Parra being ineffective thus far, who can we hang our hat on? That's why if you're making a move with the playoffs in mind, then it's has to be someone with talent enough to be the 1... if they want to make a move with the future in mind then I'll happily take a young #2 type pitcher, but it's too early in the season for that type of deal, and I think those deals work better in the off season anyway.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

When I say "back of the rotation" I mean 3, 4, 5... I'm really only interested in acquiring arms that have the potential to be 1s and 2s.

I wouldn't call a #3 pitcher back of the rotation. I would call that middle. As far as his results, he's closer to a #2, but I wouldn't really defend that point strongly.

If you think he's a sub 4 ERA pitcher then I guess there's nothing to discuss

There is nothing to discuss about this, since I never came close to saying anything like that.

I just know that if we were to re-acquire Davis, he would go back to being his old self once back at Miller Park. Yeah, I have nothing to back that up, but there's no doubt in my mind.
If that's the 2003-04 old Doug Davis, where he was a borderline #1 starter, I'm all for it. But his numbers this season look a little smoke-and-mirrors to me. His Ks are down, HRs are up, BABIP very low.

Davis/Garland plus Lopez would be a lot of salary coming back and would prevent the Brewers from adding an actual top starter this year. They're going to have to ride this out for a couple weeks until more teams are willing to deal.

Late to the party, but... it had to have been Peavey. Hoffman talked him into coming (Gerut may have helped too). In exchange they get Parra (needs a change of scenery), Hall (helps balance salary taken on, and SD needs infield help), and prospects. Heether comes up to take Hall's roster spot. Makes too much sense.

So now what? Sounds like they have two weeks to make up their minds as they don't need a 5th starter until 6/27. Do they gamble and wait and see what the real diagnosis is with Peavey, or do they seek other options?

My wager is on holding tight until the All-Star break, with Dillard getting the starts. They don't need a 5th starter until 6/27, and that 5th starter will only have three starts before the All-Star break and two of them are at home (however of those three, one is at the Cubs and another is home against the Cardinals). After the break the next start of the 5th starter won't be until 7/20 at Pittsburgh, and that gets them almost to the trade deadline at which they can see how Peavey's ankle is doing. Melvin is right in that no one is looking to dump players now, but if SD or ARI don't gain any ground on LA until Manny Ramirez comes back from suspension, then those teams will be looking at making trades then.

EDIT - it just hit me, they'll look to make a move prior to the Cubs/Cardinals series prior to the All-Star break. That's why they wanted to make the move now - their four series prior to the All-Star break are Mets (home), at Cubs (four games), St. Louis (home), and Dodgers (home). Arguably the most important two week stretch of the season. Look for a deal to be made by 7/1.

The main reason that I feel the Brewers need to make a move is to protect Yo... Coming off a season mostly lost to injury, we are now going to depend on him going 200+ innings? As great as he has been it would only be natural for him to hit a wall sometime in September especially if we are going to be using a four man rotation over the next month or so... I know he will still be pitching on 4 days rest, but I can't help but think that an extra day off here and there would do him wonders! Yo is still so young I don't want to risk burning him out just as some have suggested the Brewers did with Manny last year! We need to get him some protection!

I know we were spoiled last year and saw that we can get the trade deadline's top prize, but we just aren't going to be able to do that every year. As much as I'd like to see us go out and get a #1 again, I'd be more than happy with a 4.00-4.25 ERA guy with durability who at minimum closes the gaping wound that was Parra's spot in the rotation.

Read back a few pages and you'll see that nothing is "imminent"...whether or not that's tied to Peavy landing on the DL for the foreseeable future has anything to do with the trade whispers dying is up for debate. Melvin will likely have to wait a few weeks to see if anyone goes into "sell" mode soon, because right now the teams that are in a position to deal pitching are also in a position to make the playoffs.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Read back a few pages and you'll see that nothing is "imminent"...whether or not that's tied to Peavy landing on the DL for the foreseeable future has anything to do with the trade whispers dying is up for debate. Melvin will likely have to wait a few weeks to see if anyone goes into "sell" mode soon, because right now the teams that are in a position to deal pitching are also in a position to make the playoffs.
Brewers included! ok ok that was said out of sheer frustration with todays loss...

Archived