Brewer Fanatic

Trade chatter heating up (6/11)...

Where did anybody say that a trade was "imminent"? Certainly not in this thread I don't think. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anybody said that a trade was imminent.

This

"I like how Badger was able to influence this whole thing by adding the word "imminent". Brian has his sources over at brewerfan.net, but I'm not so sure the "imminent" thing was part of the discussion until this thread was made. No doubt people who frequent this site and Brian's flooded Haudricourt and McCalvy's inboxes, but I suspect the fact that the word "imminent" was used was why both of them reacted so boldly in shooting down these rumors."

From a thread over on sportsbubbler.com that has the title "Imminent trade?"

Yeah about 6 posts in on that sportsbubbler site and those guys are talking about expecting the trade to be announced after the game.

Also it looks like to quickly changes to thoughts of Trading Trevor Hoffman for prospects. What a debacle of a thread.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I read a bit of the stuff over there. Kind of weird all around, that's the only way I can put it.

Anyway, I would guess the recent rash of injuries to starters has put some of this talk about trading for a front line pitcher on hold. I'm sure Melvin is still working the phones and something will happen eventually, though.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

E-mailers asking me why I haven't picked up on local internet rumor that Brewers have "imminent" trade. I think the answer is obvious.

If I had a dollar for every internet trade rumor that was completely false, I could buy the Brewers and make any trade I wanted.

I'll report on "imminent" trade rumor when I think there is an iota of truth to it. And do those sites ever admit they were wrong? No.

Let me just say that while I respect TH because the life of a beat writer isn't easy, the difference between Adam McCalvy and TH as night and freaking day.

Very, very true! There is a reason that my order for recieving the latest Brewer news is as follows:

1) Brewerfan.net

2) MilwaukeeBrewers.com

3) JSonline.com/sports

Too bad for the Padres. This makes Peavy's value drop quite a bit. One of the things the Brewers wanted to do was acquire Peavy early in the game to help make a run THIS season. I really don't expect this deal ever to be done unless Brewers are around the same spot on July 30th and had not made any significant moves and Peavy is ready to pitch which it looks like he may not be.

I think this was the deal that Brian was referring to to start this posting but the injury made it vanish. I expect Melvin will still make a move in the next three weeks or so.

the difference between Adam McCalvy and TH as night and freaking day.

Most of that is the condescending attitude. McCalvy did what he should. He asked just to check and came back with a "no deal" response. McCalvy treats his readers like fellow fans and equals. TH treats them like children. Small stupid children.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Most of that is the condescending attitude. McCalvy did what he should. He asked just to check and came back with a "no deal" response. McCalvy treats his readers like fellow fans and equals. TH treats them like children. Small stupid children.

In his defense, many of his readers (at least the ones who post on his blog) act like small, stupid children.

In his defense, many of his readers (at least the ones who post on his blog) act like small, stupid children.
Yeah, but he treats bloggers and well-respected folks like the guys here at BF like they are small, stupid children -- which they clearly are not. Why alienate yourself from a whole new generation of fans/writers?

I dislike TH's attitude, always have. The "childish audience" excuse doesnt hold water for me. It's as simple as Do unto others as they would do unto you. If he hates the people he serves so much, perhaps he should find a different occupation. When you write in a manner that is condescending to your audience, expect them to reply in a similiar fashion. This has been rehashed several times, yet Tom still seems to get a tizzy and makes several simple errors when reporting on his blog. With that attitude he's given readers over the past few years, it can't surprise they take every chance they can to give it back to him. Once TH changes his know it all and condescending mentality, perhaps the viewership will as well.

I think the last few posters hit it on the head. I wonder if TH has gotten more bitter after his own mistake with the badger blogger. He probably lumps all forums/bloggers together. He believes we are all misinformed.

For a link to the Badger Blogger Yost issue, you can read TH's post here: http://blogs.jsonline.com...ms-yost-to-be-fired.aspx I don't see where TH made a mistake. People wanted Yost fired. TH even called Sveum as being the guy that would take over if Ned were fired.

TH is right to be skeptical of internet rumors. Remember when it was reported here that people close to the situation were saying that Hardy injured his hand and would miss the rest of the season toward the end of last year? Hardy didn't even miss the next game.

I agree, TH should feel skeptical. It's clear he goes overboard from time to time in dismissing internet-based rumors, partially in reaction to his one very notable misstep in giving the blogosphere credence. The one time he tried jumping into the pool, he nearly drowned, and now he's afraid of the pool and telling anyone who'll listen how awful the pool can be (and that people pee in there, gross).

That said, one should remember: if inside sources have been corresponding with people here (or other web sites), there are probably some inside sources chatting it up with Haudricourt, too. I don't remember the order of events last year, but I do know TH was very in tune with the details of the CC Sabathia trade. I detest that he went out of his way to trumpet his success, but I had to hand it to him -- he had the information before most everyone else.

Despite his over-the-top defensiveness and general scoffing at alternative resources, he's still probably the first guy to know when something is truly about to happen. Adam McCalvy gives the template for how you can be that person, respect other outlets, be cautious of message-board fodder and follow through without judging the messenger. But I still respect what Haudricourt does.

TH is right to be skeptical of internet rumors.
Sure he is... However, he treats people like crap. Remember the time he published the full name and email address of a particular commenter on his blog because he was having a spat with him? He's been downright rude to other members of my staff before as well.

I respect him because he generally works hard and brings forth a lot of info, but he's the type of guy that, if he was a user here, would probably be banned for starting a flame war.

Sure he is... However, he treats people like crap.

Yes, he does. His job has changed, and he hasn't adapted well. Luckily for him, his job hasn't changed as much as those IT guys in the 70's who programmed cards.

But he gets piled on more than neccessary. A few people took cheap shots at him for not reporting on this, when it turns out that there wasn't anything to really report.

Tom H was hours behind on both the CC trade and the other players. As always, he waited for official sources, and got scooped by the State Journal.

The irony here is, he claimed to be right on top of it, and people still give him credit for it, even though he was painfully slow.

I'll echo the sentiments that TH seems to be very dedicated and works harder than most beat writers out there. I also give him credit for calling a spade a spade sometimes...there are a lot of beat writers that won't write a single negative word about a team for fear of losing access. TH gets just as frustrated as the rest of us with this team sometimes, which leads me to believe that he wants to see a winner just as badly as we do.

However, I do feel like he's struggling to adapt to the changing face of journalism, as many newspaper guys are right now. I love Kaukauna's analogy of TH jumping into the pool, nearly drowning, and being too afraid to step near that pool ever again. While it is dangerous to buy into everything you read on the Internet, it seems to me that he fails to see that there are levels of credibility when it comes to Internet rumors. Any bozo can sign up for a blogspot account and make a post saying the Brewers are close to acquiring Alex Rodriguez for Bill Hall and Jeff Suppan, but that person doesn't have the credibility of Brian or a few of the other insiders we have here. With so many of the old school newspaper guys, credibility seems to be be all-or-nothing.

My biggest concern is TH's condescending attitude is rubbing off on Witrado, based on the arrogance he's shown in his live chats. It's frustrating to submit a few well-thought-out questions to the live chats, only to see them pick out the questions asking if J.J. Hardy is married and other dumb questions that they can laugh at and reply sarcastically.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

TH is a joke. He's an average beat writer with a terrible attitude, and a ridiculous sense of entitlement because the JS has been lazy enough to turn him into 'The Brewers Beat Writer', instead of being proactive & seeking to improve over mediocrity.

I'm not not licking toads.

Awesome http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

My biggest concern is TH's condescending attitude is rubbing off on Witrado, based on the arrogance he's shown in his live chats. It's frustrating to submit a few well-thought-out questions to the live chats, only to see them pick out the questions asking if J.J. Hardy is married and other dumb questions that they can laugh at and reply sarcastically.

Sadly, the Brewers JS coverage as a whole is a joke to me at this point.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

This whole TH being mean spirited towards readers reminds me of my roommate in college when after getting a ticket asked me why cops are such meanies (substituted for another word). My response was that they are like that from having to deal with idiots(not the word used) like you everyday. Not saying this about any of you, mainly directed to those that email him and message him, but if you had to listen to and deal with the crap that if most likely sent to him on a daily basis you would come of a bit sour too. If anyone were in his position you would probably act the same, and if you say you wouldnt then you are most likely a liar. The stuff he probably gets and has to deal with is probably one step above what a telemarketer gets.

As to why he didnt report of the "rumor", well it was just that a rumor with no substance(no offense Brian) to it in terms of details. So what exactly is he suppose to report on. Do you really want him to track down DM on every little internet rumor so we can have a daily blog of denials?

Sorry rant over, please continue you regularally scheduled rumor thread.

PS I love trade rumor threads as the next guy and come here every day looking for them.

As to why he didnt report of the "rumor", well it was just that a rumor with no substance(no offense Brian) to it in terms of details. So what exactly is he suppose to report on. Do you really want him to track down DM on every little internet rumor so we can have a daily blog of denials?
McCalvy did...

Archived