Brewer Fanatic

Advice on buying a used motorcycle...

Ando Calrissian

Well, the subject pretty much says it all. I'm taking the safety class over the next few weeks and after that plan on buying an affordable used bike.

If any folks out there would be willing to post suggestions as a list of things to be mindful of, I'd be mighty grateful. Thanks!

What type of bike are you looking for and what price range? If you are fairly new to riding motorcycles, I would suggest going on craigslist and searching for some older Hondas or something small like that.

I've already started to do that which is kind of what inspired my post. I don't really want to spend more than $3000 if possible. Thought I'm not totally certain yet, I'm guessing I'll have a strong preference for a standard/cruiser style bike. I suspect that for starting out, something around 750cc's ought to be fine. I would like something with a bit more power to cart my wife and I around, but I figured that for starters, a 750-ish type bike wouldn't be bad. Instead of suggestions on specific bikes, I'd like to hear about specific things I need to look for in buying a used motorcycle as I don't want to be "taken for a ride".

I've been riding since 1969. Dad owned a motorcycle shop when I was a kid. Bikes are a major part of my life, although I've owned and wrenched on only Harleys for a lot of years now. Things to look for:

Adult owned. Kids beat on stuff, and don't take care of it as well. Especially bikes. I know there are exceptions, but a bike owned by a 40 year old is going to be in better shape than a bike owned by a 22 year old, 90% of the time.

Ask for any maintenance records.

Check all the fluid levels, not just for level, but condition. Motor oil shouldn't smell like gasoline or smell "burnt."

Lookout for evidence of previous crashes. Tweaked levers, mirrors, engine guards (crash bars), handlebars, blinkers, etc. If there's damage you can see, there may very well be damage that you can't see.

Wiring. Look for anything that doesn't look factory. Electrical tape, Crimp-on connectors from Autozone, etc. Big red flags here. Wiring nightmares can be the worst.

Electrical. Make sure everything works, and works as it should. If a blinker doesn't blink and the guy says "it just needs a bulb," tell him "let's put a bulb in it and be sure." If the electric start won't work and he says "it just needs a 10 dollar switch" tell him to put a switch in it and you'll be back. Electrical gremlins are the absolute worst.

Tires. Make sure they're evenly worn, with no cupping. Uneven wear or cupping usually means something is out of alignment, possibly even a bent frame or swingarm from prior mishap (crash).

Chain and sprockets, if it's chain-drive. Look at the chain and see if it's adjusted properly. If the back wheel is as far back as it goes (meaning adjusted as far as possible) and the chain is still "loose" the chain is stretched and will need to be replaced. Look at exposed teeth on the rear sprocket and see if they seem worn down.

Spokes. If it has spoked wheels, look for any that are broken or obivously real loose.

Roll the bike around a little and make sure it rolls freely and smoothly.

Check the numbers on the title against the numbers on the bike.

ONLY meet the seller at their home.

Take along an objective friend or relative to help you look it over. Especially someone that's into bikes.

When you test ride the bike, take it for a good long ride. Make sure you ride it long enough to get to full operating temperature (a bike may sound good cold, but knock or clatter when warm. It also shouldn't smoke.) Have someone follow you in a car or on another bike. They can then see if it tracks true going down the road. Jump on the freeeway or long open road for a minute and see how it rides at those speeds. Shifting should be smooth and easy. Brakes should be firm and smooth. You may have to leave your cash and a "hostage" with the seller while you do this long ride.

There are internet forums for everything. Use them. If you think you might be intersted in a certain model, find a forum. You'll learn about any known problems with said model and how to deal with them very quickly. Bring your laptop if you have one. "Instant information" is a beautiful thing.

It pains me to say this one, but stay within the "big 4" (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki). No British, No Chinese. But do move up to a Harley when you can.

I probably missed or overlooked some things. If anything pops into my head, I'll revisit this thread. Remember, it's a buyer's market, and patience is your friend. Depending on where and when, I could come look at a bike or 2 with you. I'm retired, but we travel a lot during the summer (100k miles on my bike so far). I'll be gone the 12th through the 26th, but should be around for a while after that. You can email me at bigdanmo AT charter DOT net. Best of luck.

Well, it looks like Nottso's post pretty much ends the initial purpose of this thread. I'm not a motorcycle person...but have heard something like this stated several times in regards to people who ride motorcycles: "There are only two types of Motorcycle riders...those who have laid the bike down, and those who are going to lay the bike down."

I'd be interested to hear from the motorcycle folks...have you gone down on the bike? Anyone quit riding after a spill? Have a serious spill and still ride?

A friend of mine went through a deer on his bike, and nearly died. He swore off riding after that, but eventually got back into it.

I've had a few minor mishaps over the years, and one pretty bad one (sadly, alcohol was involved. I no longer drink, so that won't happen again). I sometimes wish I had kept track of mileage somehow, as I must have well over a million miles of riding under my belt. Nothing could make me stop riding. When I'm too old to hold the bike up anymore, I'll add a sidecar so the Grandkids, or possibly Great Grandkids by that time, can go for a ride. Luckily, my wife is almost as into it as I am. There's lots of great country roads out here where we live. We spend a lot of afternoons just meanderin' around, lookin' at the countryside and the wildlife. We'll probably do just that as soon as she gets home from work.

We leave Saturday morning with a few friends to go down to Kentucky for a week and meet up with a bunch of other friends. From there, the wife and I will head down to South Carolina for a few days. I can't wait!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not a motorcycle person...but have heard something like this stated several times in regards to people who ride motorcycles: "There are only two types of Motorcycle riders...those who have laid the bike down, and those who are going to lay the bike down."

I'd be interested to hear from the motorcycle folks...have you gone down on the bike? Anyone quit riding after a spill? Have a serious spill and still ride?

A friend of mine went through a deer on his bike, and nearly died. He swore off riding after that, but eventually got back into it.

I got rid of my bike but it was due more to immaturity than to a spill. I was 18 and had a 900 cc Ninja (miss that bike now!) that, as Nottso referred to, I beat the hell out of. I was going max-speed on Hwy 41, cutting in and out of traffic and generally cheating death ever time I got on it. I sold the bike after splitting two semis on 41. Two lanes, two semi's side by side and I went between them. A strap swung loose from one of the trailers and went just over my head. I sold the bike the next day and have not owned one since.

All that said...I would live on a Harley if I was able to get one now that I am in my 30's...I'm much better prepared for it now.

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Yeah, not to be judgmental of bikers (I don't own a bike and probably never will, just not my thing), but I shake my head every time I see some biker splitting through two lane traffic like that. It's usually a younger guy on a crotch rocket with no helmet or leathers, too.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know whether or not anyone's really interested, but Ando Calrissian (Mike) is a proud new member of the motorcycling community. We met up today in Madison to look at a 1985 Kawasaki ZN700 LTD, that was exceptionally clean and had only 15,000 original miles on it. This little bike is completely unmolested, right down to still having the stock exhaust on it. Previous owner had added a passenger backrest, and highway pegs for the rider, both of which are nice additions. Everything on the bike works, and works as it should. It should provide Mike with very, very many miles n' smiles.

Congratulations, Mike!

I'm all for happy endings to threads, especially when cooperation between members is involved. Thanks for the update!
Very cool of Nottso to get involved and help out!
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Indeed! Thanks for updating the thread, Nottso, and even moreso for your generosity of time and wisdom in helping me out. I never would have felt as comfortable as I did on Saturday if I didn't have you providing guidance. I'll be heading back this afternoon with my wife so that I can pick it up!

Archived