Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Wed. 6/10 -- Brunch (and lunch) with the Manatees

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Wednessday's Daily Menu --

All times Central; pitchers subject to change --

Link here for the live audio choices - audio will no longer archive.

For this Brevard County series, you can pick up the Stone Crabs' audio via this link.

Nashville: Idle

Huntsville: Idle

Brevard County: RHP's Amaury Rivas and Mark Rogers in a double-dip at home vs. Charlotte (Rays), 10:00 AM gametime; each contest slated for seven innings

Wisconsin: LHP Dan Merklinger at home vs. Kane County (Athletics), 6:50 PM pre-game, 7:05 gametime

Dominican Summer League Brewers / Orioles: at the DSL Giants squad (see this thread for some roster background) -- all games are 10:30 local time in the Dominican, and no need to ask about web audio; we usually won't see updated box scores until the overnight...

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Follow Wednesday's action as it happens:
Here's what you do, right click on each of the links below and choose "Open in New Tab or New Window". Choose "Recap". While you're listening to your minor league game of choice (or watching/listening to the big league Crew when they are playing), simply refresh your game log browsers every so often.

MiLB.com now has Gameday available for AA as well as AAA this season.

Brevard County Game One:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t503&t=g_box&gid=2009_06_10_chaafa_breafa_1

Brevard County Game Two:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t503&t=g_box&gid=2009_06_10_chaafa_breafa_2

Wisconsin:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=g_box&gid=2009_06_10_kccafx_wisafx_1&did=t572&sid=t572

Dominican Summer League Brewers / Orioles:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&gid=2009_06_10_dobrok_dgirok_1&cid=3130&t=g_box

Brewer Fanatic Staff
 Pacific Coast League (AAA) - PCL American North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Nashville 34 26 .567 - 17-14 17-12 W3 Memphis 30 29 .508 3.5 18-13 12-16 L2 Iowa 30 30 .500 4.0 15-13 15-17 W2 Omaha 24 35 .407 9.5 11-21 13-14 L3 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Southern League (AA) - SOU North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Huntsville 35 23 .603 - 12-13 23-10 W3 Carolina 33 26 .559 2.5 18-12 15-14 W1 Tennessee 26 34 .433 10.0 15-18 11-16 W5 Chattanooga 23 36 .390 12.5 13-17 10-19 L5 West Tenn 23 37 .383 13.0 12-18 11-19 L3 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Florida State League (A+) - FSL North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Brevard County 34 17 .667 - 14-10 20-7 L2 Clearwater 27 27 .500 8.5 13-13 14-14 W2 Daytona 25 28 .472 10.0 11-10 14-18 L1 Tampa 25 30 .455 11.0 14-17 11-13 W1 Dunedin 24 31 .436 12.0 10-19 14-12 L1 Lakeland 22 29 .431 12.0 12-16 10-13 L5 

Brewer Fanatic Staff
No idea what the quality of the Charlotte broadcast will be, but I hope to listen to quite a bit, with particular attention to what / how Rivas and Rogers are throwing today. The more ears the better, all you office types...

I'll definitely try to listen to as much as possible and jot some notes, but with the Draft Tracker running, it might be tough - tough for a productive day, that is :-) I wish it were Rogers throwing first, as his ~2 innings would likely be done before the 11am draft start.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

After just one-half an inning, it's apparent the boys, particularly Amaury Rivas, aren't "morning people" -- Stone Crab announcer is suitable, it seems...

3-0 Charlotte

Charlotte Top 1st

• Shawn O'Malley hit by pitch.
  • Emeel Salem singles on a line drive to center fielder Lee Haydel. Shawn O'Malley to 2nd.
  • Gregory Sexton hits a sacrifice bunt. Missed catch error by second baseman Eric Farris, assist to pitcher Amaury Rivas. Shawn O'Malley scores. Emeel Salem to 3rd. Gregory Sexton to 1st.
  • Cody Cipriano out on a sacrifice fly to right fielder Steffan Wilson. Emeel Salem scores.
  • Reid Fronk singles on a ground ball to right fielder Steffan Wilson. Gregory Sexton to 3rd.
  • Henry Wrigley out on a sacrifice fly to center fielder Lee Haydel. Gregory Sexton scores.
  • John Matulia singles on a line drive to right fielder Steffan Wilson. Reid Fronk to 3rd.
  • Christian Lopez flies out to right fielder Steffan Wilson.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final, Game One: Charlotte (Rays) 6, Brevard County 4

What happened to all the "Port's" in the FSL? Charlotte used to be Port Charlotte, St. Lucie was Port St. Lucie, anyway...

Brevard County Game One Box Score

The Manatees had the tying run at the plate with no outs in the final (7th) inning, but things fizzled; if things had worked out, Brevard would have stolen this one, because in effect, the Stone Crabs dominated; did Lee Haydel know the team was down two in the 9th when he bunted after Brent Brewer's base hit? If I had not been listening to the game, I would question the game log that indicated "sacrifice bunt", but that's how it sounded on the audio as well -- still, we should assume Haydel was bunting for a hit; Haydel and Zelous Wheeler each tripled; Amaury Rivas with very pedestrian numbers here, as his normally strong WHIP ratio took a hit today...

Brevard County Game One Game Log

With catcher Martin Maldonado having the game off, Charlotte ran wild on the Manatee battery-mates (5-for-5)...

Rogers with a very nice first. 2 k's. He did walked a guy but the catcher picked him off first. He will need to get his walks down but it has been an encouraging start to the year nonetheless. I am very excited to see him when they decide to stretch him out a bit.

His next inning went 1-2-3 with 2 ground outs and a fly out. With to relatively quick innings, facing the minimum batters I wonder if he will get a third inning

Rogers faced the minimum over three innings, and the Stone Crabs announcer said he was at the mid-90's with his fastball.
That ties his longest outing to date if I am not mistaken. With only facing 9 batters and only one walk and two K's his pitch count should be very low.

Looks like Braddock is coming in to follow him up. Nice work today Mark.

Axford hitting 95 according to the Stone Crabs announcer and it sounds like he got screwed out of the couple sliders that should've been called strikes.

His words went something like "I guess the umpire doesn't have anywhere to be today if he's not going to call those."

Edit: Axford hitting 95 on the corners. That's just not fair.

He's 26 years old. He should probably move up to Huntsville with Wooten to see how he does.

It too bad Rogers and Braddock are on pitch counts, they could have piggy backed this second game in it's entirety and saved the bullpen.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

It is crazy to look at the ERA's of the four pitchers used by Brevard in the second game. Rogers and Braddock are both at 0.96. Wooten has a 1.05 and Axford has the worst of the four with a 1.63 ERA. That is crazy.

I must say that the walks for Rogers do not really trouble me. They are down a great deal since a his first stint a few years ago with the Mantatees. The other reason why I think they are not that big of a deal is because he is getting a lot more ground balls than he ever has (ground balls = double plays). It sounds to me like Mark has learned to pitch and not rely so much one that overpowering fastball he has (which topped out at 98 mph today). I think that we are seeing a new side to a young pitcher that is has a lot of talent and to me that is very exciting. I also must add that it IS crazy that the ERA's are so low. Pitch count or not it is an impressive thing having that many pitchers with such low ERA's at any level of baseball. Congrats to all of them.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final, Game Two: Brevard County 1, Charlotte (Rays) 0, nine innings (scheduled for seven)

Brevard County Game Two Box Score

There weren't many instances, but both teams definitely had prime opportunities to push across a single run well before the 9th, please review the game log; it wasn't so much the shutout innings on the Manatee mound as much as it was knowing that serious heat and breaking stuff was getting the job done, as has been the case with the "Four Horsemen" of Mark Rogers, Zach Braddock, John Axford, and Rob Wooten all season; the southpaw Braddock in particular has the potential to be legendary, it seems...

Brevard County Game Two Game Log

The music is really overdone at Space Coast -- it's one thing to have walk-up music, but you don't start the song as the player enters the batters box -- other music was very out-of-place for long stretches at awkward times as well. At least that was the lament of the Charlotte broadcaster who travels throughout the league, and it came through in the audio as well to an extent...

After getting frustrated with the 5th inning of the big league game I went MiLB stat hunting... I go around and look at leader boards both team and individual, hitting and pitching, for the various leagues. This usually how I run across my trade targets from other organizations.. at any rate, I'm looking at the Midwest League team standings and WI is 3rd to last with a .244 average, but only .005 from being tied for last. The current OBP of .318 ends up 5th from the bottom, which happens to be a paltry .305. The team OPS is also 5th from the bottom at .691, the bottom being .647.

Pitching wise WI is right smack dab in the middle at 7th place with an overall ERA 4.17. Peripheral wise they've recorded the 3rd most Strike Outs at 473, while Fort Wayne is leading with 506. The really bad is that WI leads the league in Walks, giving up 227 BB so far this season, the next closest team is Dayton at 213, the leading club is South Bend with 150. They flip it around again on the HR rate, giving up only 23 all season, the leading team Lansing has given up 22. Hit wise WI ends up right back in the middle having giving up 485, but predictably the team WHIP is putrid with all the free passes, at 1.46 they are only .02 from the bottom.

Individual Hitting... no T-Rats are in the top 10 for AVE because Dennis doesn't qualify, but Kemp is 13th with a .308, the leader is Charles Culter from Quad Cities with .371 AVE. OBP wise no WI player is in the top 20, Kemp is in the low 20s, the leading player is James Darnell from FT Wayne with a .463. Looking at the SLG Kemp is again the leading WI player, much further down, Josh Vitters is leading the league with a .580, this is Vitters first time through the league though he did get a taste last season. As far as OPS goes, Kemp once again is the leading Brewer at .840 while Lawrie pulls in with an .811. The best OPS in the league is 19 year old LF Jeff Decker from Ft Wayne with a .998, his stat line is pretty impressive.

Individual Pitching... no T-Rats are in the top 10 for ERA, Peralta has the best ERA of qualified WI players at 3.88, the league leader is Kenny Smalley from Kane County with a minuscule 2.03. The K leader is Brett Lorin (remember this name) of Clinton with 73 already, the closest WI player is Peralta at 56. Brett Hunter of Kane County has given up the most free passes with 43, Frederickson is 4th with 31, the best with more than 50 IP is Henderson Alvarez of Lansing with 9 total BB in 61.1IP. Clinton has both of the WHIP leaders, Brett Lorin at .89 and Aaron Pribanic with a .93. Lorin is 22 years old from Cal State Long Beach, Pribanic is also 22 from Nebraska Lincoln.

I was curious about the average age of all the teams, but couldn't find a quick list to see how WI stacks up and I'm way too lazy to go through and add all that up and average it all out.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived