Brewer Fanatic

Time to start platooning Hart?

nate82

Why are the Brewers still starting Hart? Other than not having anyone to platoon with Hart why is Hart still starting so many games? You would think that Gerut would be getting more starts the way Hart has been playing the last month. Hart is still struggling this month yet going 4-26 so far this month I believe that doesn't count the game today. Yes I know small sample size but I don't see Hart doing any better than what he has done so far this month. I expect Hart to have a line somewhere close to this .180/.200/.275 for the month of June and that is just absolutely horrible for a starting RF let a lone someone to be platooned with. Hart doesn't even have that good of splits so far this year against lefties.

Hart versus lefties so far this year:

By Breakdown AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB HBP SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS
vs. Left 45 8 11 3 0 0 3 4 0 12 0 1 .244 .306 .311 .617

Yes I know small sample size again. But Hart does have good splits against lefties in the last three years though. Hart right now is the last person I want to see come up to bat against anyone. I would rather have Hall or Kendall bat than Hart right now. Maybe McGehee can get some playing time in RF or Gerut can get a little bit more playing time in RF also. Right now Hart is doing much other than playing defense in RF which is not all that great all the time.

The time to start platooning Hart was last July. He cannot hit any RHP who doesn't rely on a curve ball.

Is there even a player on the team the Brewers could platoon with Hart? I'm thinking the Brewers are going to have to go out and trade for someone to get someone with more production but if they do that they should just get a full time replacement for Hart. I wonder what it would take to get Hermida from the Marlins who would be the left handed version of Hart. I don't see a Catalanotto/Gerut platoon with Hart providing much of an improvement over playing Hart everyday. There is not much in house that the Brewers have that will be a good platoon option with Hart I believe. I don't want to make this into a trade discussion so I will just stop there but I do believe the Brewers are going ot have to look at acquiring an OF if Hart keeps on playing the way he has been.

I agree there is a problem with throwing Corey every day but Gerut or Catalanotto aren't the answer.
Why not?

Catalanotto's 2008 splits vs. RHP: .280/.345/.407. Catalanotto career splits vs. RHP: .292/.358/.449

Gerut's 2008 splits vs. RHP: .296/.351/.494. Gerut's career splits vs. RHP: .281/.341/.467

What am I missing? Those aren't great numbers but they're better than what Hart's done since September 2008.

I am shocked by what has happened to Corey Hart. He just looks sluggish out there like he has no energy. He just seems to be flailing away at everything with incredibly slow bat speed. I really hope he turns it around because we could really use the good Corey Hart in our lineup. Luckily we didnt sign him to any type of long term deal. I hate to say it but Corey looks like Jeff Francouer at this point.

I agree there is a problem with throwing Corey every day but Gerut or Catalanotto aren't the answer.

At this point I would tend to agree.

People are still judging Gerut on his 20 AB sample as a Brewer for some reason, I have no idea why so many people think he is horrible.

Two things...

1.) Gerut is going to have to produce at some point -- the Brewers are not going to let him keep hitting at a .200 clip for many more ABs -- Nelson only got 20 ABs as well. I am not saying this is necessarily smart or prudent -- but there is a definite tangible risk to letting that sample size get bigger.

2.) No one said Gerut is horrible -- and even if he is horrible, the only relevant question is, is he less horrible than Hart. That said, Gerut has only put up a .552 OPS against RHP this year, in his SD AB's -- Hart has put up a .716. There is no compelling reason to think that Gerut will be significantly better. Gerut has had a significantly worse 2009 than Hart.

Gerut's career splits vs. RHP: .281/.341/.467

I don't think Gerut's career stats hold a lot of water -- since the vast majority of them happened in 2005 before he missed 2+ seasons to injury.

Gerut's career splits vs. RHP: .281/.341/.467 (2008)

Gerut did well in 2008 -- this is the best argument for giving him starts -- Gerut had a better 2008 than Hart for sure against RHP -- but he ended the season hurt, and I wonder if Gerut's 2009 struggles are perhaps injury related.

The time to start platooning Hart was last July. He cannot hit any RHP who doesn't rely on a curve ball.

I don't disagree that Hart should be platooned -- I just think we don't have that guy on our roster.

Ender is correct. People are judging Gerut and Catalanotto on a handful of scattered AB's as a Brewer. Give one of them some steady AB's and let's see what they do. They both have a track record of major league success unlike a Nelson or even Duffy.

Look what TGJ is doing in San Diego. Not that he'll keep up a .352/.453/.463 pace, but he's getting steady playing time after full time work in Nashville. His one opportunity when Cameron was suspended last year passed him by when he got hurt. It might behoove them to use Gerut if anything to make that deal look not so lopsided.

I've said it before; I'll say it again--strict platoon at RF, 2B, and 3B. Gerut/Hart. I think Gerut will come around with more regular playing time, and he maybe a small upgrade defensively. At this point I think the bloom is off the rose with Hart; he had his moment of glory and it was truly exciting--who didn't love it? But it's time to move on.

I would agree, I don't see too much to be lost by giving Gerut a few starts/more ABs. Strict platoon? Perhaps not, but he seems to have the potential to hit with some regular PT. IMO, Catalanotto probably is better suited/has more value coming off the bench.

Yeah I'm not asking for a strict platoon either, just more days off for Hart to see if maybe there is a solution on the bench. I'd sit Hart against heavy slider starters and start him against heavy curve ball pitchers since he kills the curve ball but can't hit a slider to save his life.

Ender is correct. People are judging Gerut and Catalanotto on a handful of scattered AB's as a Brewer.

False, all he said was hyperbole. No one here thinks Gerut is a ~.120 hitter or that Catalanotto is a ~.200 hitter.

Give one of them some steady AB's and let's see what they do.

There is a risk in doing this.

They both have a track record of major league success unlike a Nelson or even Duffy.

So does Corey Hart.

Look what TGJ is doing in San Diego.

Why? It is just a handful ABs -- much like you are scolding people for doing with Gerut+Catalanatano.

Yeah I'm not asking for a strict platoon either, just more days off for Hart to see if maybe there is a solution on the bench. I'd sit Hart against heavy slider starters and start him against heavy curve ball pitchers since he kills the curve ball but can't hit a slider to save his life.

I think this is very reasonable and probably the place to start -- Gerut has only had 2 starts since the trade -- he probably should have more than that by now.

I think the problem with a Hart-Gerut platoon is that both guys have been ice cold for awhile now. Others have mentioned the size of the Gerut sample, but let's not forget that the guy wasn't producing for the month and a half he was with the Padres either. Again, you can say small sample, but the career numbers for both of those guys are comparable in terms of both games played and at bats. Hart is better in all major offensive categories except OBP, and in that he's only 9 points behind Gerut.

Whether you play Hart or Gerut, you're holding out hope against a prolonged slump. Personally, I have no problem riding it out with the guy who's been here his whole career, not to mention that he's five years younger.

The Catalanotto issue seems more complicated. If Cat can come close to his last year numbers (.274/.342/.339--OPS=.741), he'd be an option, but we know he isn't going to hit for a lot of power. Right now I'd be in favor of a Hart/Cat platoon, but only if Hart still gets the chance to start vs. RHP. He has to have chances to get going, and we can afford to give them to him in June and July.

The only caveat is that it doesn't make sense to me to let Corey lead off. Ever. Let's hope McGehee shows us some good stuff tonight.

It's time to bring up Katin. Hart is lost out there. Gerut/Catalanotto are filling in terribly. Katin is killing it and carrying Nashville down in AAA right now. Sure he will probably rack up some K's when he is brought up, but he'll probably hit a few into the upper deck at clutch moments also. It's time to give him a shot.

Archived