Brewer Fanatic

Michael Hunt (MJ/S) on his soapbox again...

CrewDood

he is really beating the dead horse with this one. most people are on the same page with this one...great idea, but logistically difficult.

college athletics is a business. businesses need to make smart financial decisions. baseball in wisconsin in april and may is not a smart financial decision...without a roof.

someone could donate the money to start the team, but it needs to be sustained also.

I like how he says that it's "an embarrassment". As a UW alum, not once have I hung my head in shame over us not having a baseball program. Would it be cool to have? Yeah, sure...I'd love to sit out in the right field bleachers and come up with creative, mildly obscene taunts. But not when it's cold and drizzly out.

(Especially considering that they use aluminum bats anyway, so it's hardly baseball in my opinion. Start acting like grown men and swinging lumber, and then we'll talk.)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Money talks. There is enough out there between Kohl and Selig to get this done.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm also a UW alum, and would love to see baseball return. I think there are 2 reasons the powers that be won't bring it back...1) cost and 2) facility. I think if the athletic department came out and said, "we'll bring baseball back, but we need donations to do so", people would line up to write a check. But then there is the sustainability issue. There is also the cost of adding a women's sport to be Title IX compliant. Add women's gymnastics and a crew boat or 2...shouldn't cost that much. The other issue is the lack of an on-campus facility. I'd argue that they could play at Warner Park where the Mallards play...at least in the short term, then worry about an on-campus stadium later.

The other underlying issue that I could see is how successful would it be? The team would spend most, if not all of the early part of the season on the road, much like the softball team does. When they finally do get home, it would be during our nice, cold spring. I do think, however, that they could make it really fun, like the Mallards do, so they attract people to the games.

I really dislike these types of articles.

If you're going to write "UW needs baseball" tell us how they are supposed to balance title IX and pay for everything, beyond hinting at "Former Alums should donate money".

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I really dislike these types of articles.

If you're going to write "UW needs baseball" tell us how they are supposed to balance title IX and pay for everything, beyond hinting at "Former Alums should donate money".

So what you're asking him to do is turn out more than some random angry fan-blog entry? What do you think he is, a journalist or something?

Oh.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived