Brewer Fanatic

Cameron suspended for 2 games

Well the good news is that he's appealing the suspension, and these things tend to get delayed for quite a bit. I think there's a decent chance it gets reduced to a one game suspension, but either way a couple off days won't hurt the Brewers too much. Just pick a stretch where the Brewers can face two right-handed starters in a row so you can get Gerut or Cat into the starting lineup for a couple days.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Ump probably had enough of Cameron's mouth. Day after Day the whole series of whining. I would have given him a piece too. Umpires dont need to be your complaining post. Once or twice, a word here to let them know you disagree with the zone is fine. But the incessant whinning and prolonged standing in the box can only be tolerated for so long. Enjoy your vacation Mike.

correct me if I'm wrong, but these player suspensions are with pay? I can't see professional sports players having to do the same thing as regular people that get suspended at work (i.e. no pay).

He did bump hat brims with the ump, too, so I'm not surprised at all. But I agree that he did a lot of complaining in Atlanta. Maybe if he swung the bat a little more often on those pitches in the zone he wouldn't have to worry about the vacation.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Don't get me wrong Marc, I get your point about the umpire's return conduct. But if Cameron just puts his head down and walks back to the dugout, all could be avoided. His conduct towards the officials was whiny all weekend and then he reacted in the wrong manner. If Cameron turns around towards the dugout and the umpire chases him down, I'd be more inclined to get on the umpire. In this case, talk of Marvin Hudson's conduct is much ado about nothing, in my opinion

Don't get me wrong Marc, I get your point about the umpire's return conduct. But if Cameron just puts his head down and walks back to the dugout, all could be avoided.
Not disagreeing with you at all... I just found it a little fishy that Hudson immediately pointed to the contact, and then pointed to Cam. Almost as if he was trying to sell a suspension.

I think there is something to be said for the amount of "diva" umps these days as well. Arguing balls and strikes is as old as the game of baseball and players used to get a lot more lee-way than they do now as long as they didn't show the umps up too bad. Not saying this is exactly the case here, but IMO you see WAY too many umps following players back toward the dugout after they have said their piece and antagonizing them. That is not right. And you would think Mike Cameron's sterling reputation would be taken into consideration here. To me it looked like Cam held his ground while he argued after being tossed and Hudson was the one that inched forward causing the "bump". Cam was having a bit of a rough stretch there and I am sure the frustration was mounting. I am not saying that excuses arguing to the point of being ejected, but it is no different than when you see umps having an off day and having a quick hook and tossing people with little provocation

I agree with Gorman Harvey on this one. The last couple of years I think the umps think people pay to come out and watch their strike out dance or to see how tough they can be while arguing with a player or manager. I can't wait for the day where the homeplate ump is replaced by a computer (we are a lot closer to that day than many would think)

I agree with Gorman Harvey on this one. The last couple of years I think the umps think people pay to come out and watch their strike out dance or to see how tough they can be while arguing with a player or manager. I can't wait for the day where the homeplate ump is replaced by a computer (we are a lot closer to that day than many would think)

I disagree that the home plate umpire would be replaced. Does the 3rd plate umpire then rotate to call safe/out calls at the plate?

Thanks for clearing that up. "replaced by a computer" didnt seem accurate. I had wondered how a computer would call a balk, call safe/fair, etc.

As for the computer system to call balls and strikes, how does it know to change the strike zone based upon the players height? If a player's stance changes mid-pitch to adjust for the pitch, buckling knees. Too many questions in my mind, yet, but perhaps it would do. I'm not sure how a quetec system would change/eliminate a "diva" umpire. Mangers and players whine equally as much about plays at the plate, etc as they do balls and strikes

Rule 2.00 - The Strike Zone

The Strike Zone is defined as that area over homeplate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform pants, and the lower level is a line at the hollow beneath the kneecap. The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter's stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball. LINK

My guess is they will have a slightly delayed call on the first pitch. After that you have the lines drawn where the strike zone is so you can have almost instantaneous calls. You should get a pretty similar stance pitch to pitch.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Ump probably had enough of Cameron's mouth. Day after Day the whole series of whining. I would have given him a piece too. Umpires dont need to be your complaining post. Once or twice, a word here to let them know you disagree with the zone is fine. But the incessant whinning and prolonged standing in the box can only be tolerated for so long. Enjoy your vacation Mike.
When did Bruce Froemming start posting on here?

The ump initiated the contact. Cameron just held his ground. Umpires have to be able to take it. It goes with the job. They have the power and should just walk away. The umpire should be suspended for bumping a player. Most umpires are arrogant.

People don't pay to see umpires. They pay to see players. Cameron lost his cool when the umpire didn't keep his.

I can't believe that he gets suspended for 2 games when it appears the umpire initiated the contact. Like others have said though, I don't think 2 games is a big deal since he should probably sit 2 games at some point anyway. If he gets it reduced to one, even better.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I heard a good point raised on the D-List this morning...Zambrano's tirade where he chucked the ball and "threw out" the ump got him basically a one game suspension (6 games, technically, but only one start). How does Cameron's incidental contact with the ump warrant two games?
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

When computers start to determine balls and strikes I will stop watching. The furthest that I'm willing to go is a "challenge" system. You have a system in place where every single pitch is monitored and judged by a computer, and between 1 to 3 times per game (probably 2) a manager can make a challenge on a call to which the umpire can get an immediate response from the computer. But even this is a stretch.

We all know that each umpire has their own unique "zone" and I think this is one of the great things about baseball.

I said in the IGT that day that there were two bits of contact. The first seemed incidental, but the second the ump leaned into Cam and then immediately started calling Cam for a bump. Pretty slimey. Still a 1 game suspension seems fair, Cam shouldn't have been in that spot regardless. Yes he was walking away while complaining, which is pretty much what you're supposed to do if you're going to say something, but he also did have a minor fit first.

If it gets reduced to 1 game, I don't have complaint with it.

People don't pay to see umpires. They pay to see players. Cameron lost his cool when the umpire didn't keep his.

Cam, along with several other Brewers, were complaining for basically the whole game. This time -- the umpteenth time in that game -- Cam didn't do it without showing up the umpire. I don't agree with everything that's gone against Cam here, but let's be fair to the ump. He was listening to complaints all game long... Cam objecting the way he did to a pretty good pitch seemed like the last straw for the ump.

So, to clarify, the ump was "able to take it" until it just became a bit ridiculous.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I heard a good point raised on the D-List this morning...Zambrano's tirade where he chucked the ball and "threw out" the ump got him basically a one game suspension (6 games, technically, but only one start). How does Cameron's incidental contact with the ump warrant two games?

I tend to disagree with the argument. One start for a (starting) pitcher is about 3% of his season; a comparable percentage suspension for a position player would be 4-5 games.

Archived