Brewer Fanatic

Adam Heether

I say no way. I hope Heether has a long and prosperous big league career, but if I'm GM of the Brewers, I don't count on him contributing anything to the big league club. If he does, it's gravy. I also can't believe he has much, if any, trade value.
I agree. Quite frankly I had never really heard of Heether until a couple weeks ago on this forum (though I admit I don't follow the Brewers' minor league system as much as many here). I know he's playing well right now, but I doubt Melvin has him penciled in for his long term plans at shortstop.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

It was your trade proposal and other postings about Heether that lead me to my first response. IMO, at this time there are only 2 players I'd consider to have play SS for the Brewers, and one, isn't ready yet (Escobar).
Escobar isn't ready yet according to whom? I don't get understand this line of thinking at all... he'd be replacing an All-Star SS, so how would he force his way on to the roster the way Weeks, Braun, and Gamel did? He's not going to hit 25 HR this year or next year... Melvin has even acknowledged he's ready, he'd be up in 2 weeks if Hardy wasn't on the roster.

He needs to be more selective at the plate, that's about it, and you could say that about most of the players the Brewers have on the 25 man roster. His defense at SS has been near spotless since April, he's making good contact again as the 2B are back and his average is climbing. He may very well be forced to repeat AAA, but that will be entirely outside of his control, he's done enough to earn his shot. Escobar repeating AAA would be a funtion of Melvin missing his trade window with Hardy more so than anything Alcides has done or not done.

X said it best, AAA isn't as much a step up as it is a different style of pitching. The competition will be slightly better because of all the veterans that play in AAA, but it's not like AAA is some proving ground, it's a storage place for depth.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Escobar isn't ready yet according to whom? I don't get understand this line of thinking at all... he'd be replacing an All-Star SS, so how would he force his way on to the roster the way Weeks, Braun, and Gamel did? He's not going to hit 25 HR this year or next year... Melvin has even acknowledged he's ready, he'd be up in 2 weeks if Hardy wasn't on the roster.

It depends what team Escobar is 'ready' for. He's not ready given the lineup for the Brewers this year IMO. He'd be ready for other teams simply because we need offense out of the SS position and Hardy beats him by a decent gap IMO. This isn't a knock on Escobar. It's just with Kendall, 'The Corey Hart Experiment', 2B, and 3B having questions/ups and downs/hard to project we need to shore up the other positions and keep them like they are.

Didn't Macha say Escobar had 'a lot to learn' or something like that during/after spring training?

again, Escobar's readiness has nothing to do with Hardy. That's a developmental issue when team thinks his game has progressed to the point of being MLB ready. He will not replace Hardy's production this year or next year because he won't hit 20ish HRs, but that has nothing to do with his readiness.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

again, Escobar's readiness has nothing to do with Hardy. That's a developmental issue when team thinks his game has progressed to the point of being MLB ready. He will not replace Hardy's production this year or next year because he won't hit 20ish HRs, but that has nothing to do with his readiness.

Well what line do you expect him to produce then? His bat right now has everything to do with his readiness. There aren't a ton of light hitting SS in MLB anymore and I guess the debate goes back to how much power does Escobar have or not have? I still think he's a year away. I don't see the need to duplicate Hardy's rookie season. Escobar is still a pretty skinny guy and as he matures I believe that power will come.

Where would Escobar rank on the list below today?

http://www.rotowire.com/baseball/player_stats.htm?pos=SS&league=3&sortby=ops&filter=

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Don't we have an Escobar thread already?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Escobar looks to hit for a better average than Hardy and obviously have more speed than Hardy, leading to probably Escobar being better at bunting, getting doubles, etc. Most admit his glove is better too, even though Hardy is no slouch there. I understand to a point the complacency some have with Hardy. I like him too. But Escobar could be as productive as a whole even THIS season as a middling Hardy (if Hardy has a very average season at the plate) and if you can get a stud young pitcher, do it NOW since the window will close if Hardy has average numbers after this season is complete on the year.

Neither Escobar or Heether will outproduce Hardy this season, but I think you are confusing production with development. I think I spelled out my position in the other thread so I'll leave it at that.

Hardy is the best option today and will remain so until he gets traded or leaves via FA, and I personally feel he's unlikely to be moved anytime soon.

- Plato

- Plato

My one and only point is that Escobar + Buchholtz > Hardy. Going along with that, my two footers would be...

1) I don't want to give up 2+ top ten prospects to get a rental starter or 3+ to get someone longer term with a big contract.

2) Hardy will not get us the value he will today if he ends the year hitting .260 with 12-16 Hr's (if his numbers do look like this) and with one less year on his contract before free agency.

Escobar isn't ready yet according to whom? I don't get understand this line of thinking at all...

According to me. And that opinion along with $1 will get me a Uecker seat. That is the opinion I have of Escobar and in the last few weeks he's trying to have me eat my words. His walk rate may always be sub-par, but until recently, his slugging was also not where it needs to be. His OPS was in the high .600s and now it's in the mid .700s, which is very encouraging. If he continues on this path then Melvin has a wonderful situation unfolding. One where he can trade from a surplus to address an area of need if the offer is right.

As to Heether, I wouldn't trade Escobar unless Hardy was signed long term and I wouldn't trade Hardy unless I felt Escobar is ready. Heether isn't even in my SS scenario.

How high can the Brewers really think of him considering they sent him down to AA (for 9 games) despite his numbers playing part time in AAA?

Adam went to Huntsville by choice. He was warming the bench and getting no AB's with Mat Gamel and Alcides Escobar playing. He went down for a few weeks got his AB's in, came back and has been on a tear ever since. I'm so-so happy for him. As a Sounds season ticket holder he's one of the guys I've gotten know. We talk before most every game and I really see a change between last year and this year...and between pre Huntsville and post Huntsville this year.

Archived