Brewer Fanatic

2009 National League Rookie of the Year

jjfanec
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Within the past couple weeks, this Garrett Jones fella has been tearing it up in Pittsburgh. 8 HR's in 15 games....but only 10 RBI's. All of his HR's have been solo shots. It's still good enough for 2nd or 3rd among NL Rookies, and he's only played 2 weeks worth of games. I'd keep an eye out for this guy...

Also, Tommy Hanson has looked pretty nice in his last couple starts. I think he could possibly be the front runner as of now.

Yeah, hanson's got the national media exposure that mcgehee doesn't have as well

The media exposure and hype certainly makes Hanson the sexier ROY. His stats and filthy stuff will win it for him though.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

The media also loves Rasmus and he's had a few webgems so I think he'll make a solid run. If Hanson hits the rookie wall, I think it will be Rasmus.

Is Burns eligible?

Formerly Andersoc420

One thing to keep in mind is that the Lopez deal was made largely because of McGehee's & Counsell's knee WOAHs. So, imho, it's that Lopez was acquired *because* McGehee can't play much now, not that McGehee is losing out on PT because Melvin brought in Lopez.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 1 month later...

I thinks it's down to:

Hitters:

Casey McGehee, Brewers

Geraldo Parra, D-Backs

Colby Rasmus, Cards

Chris Coghlan, Marlins

Dexter Fowler, Rockies

Andrew McCutcheon, Pirates

Pitchers:

Tommy Hanson, Braves

Randy Wells, Cubs

If they go with a pitcher, I think it has to be Wells. He has more starts, and a lower ERA than Hanson. If they go with a hitter, McGehee has a good shot as long if he can lead in HR, RBI and hit .300.

I concur with you. But, wow, what a sorry group of ROY candidates. Nobody has just been outstanding. Pablo Sandoval would win hands down had he not had too many at-bats last year.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I think Happ has the edge over the other pitchers and McCutchen has the edge over the other position players, but if Jones can keep putting up the power numbers and keep his avg. around the 290-300 range, if not higher, he might be able to steal the award. I'm sure Happ will get it because the Phils are in first place.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

• 2 weeks later...
Would you (or anyone) trade Casey for any of the other possible ROY candidates? If so, that person you want most is ROY. In other words, Casey, while I like him tons, is probably the least valuable ROY candidate. (I know I'm overstating this a bit, but you get the drift).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Would you (or anyone) trade Casey for any of the other possible ROY candidates? If so, that person you want most is ROY. In other words, Casey, while I like him tons, is probably the least valuable ROY candidate. (I know I'm overstating this a bit, but you get the drift).
ROY isn't based on potential. J.A. Happ is clearly a better long term prospect than McGehee, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's having a better season this year.

Seriously, I'd trade McGehee for Hanson in a second but McGehee has been more valuable this year.

Really? Think so? Not sure that I agree with McGehee being more valuable than Hanson this year. Hard to compare pitching against hitting, but I'm going to give Hanson an edge over McGehee this year so far.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I like the idea someone had where they should have separate ROY awards for pitching and position players. Seems like it would bring a lot more clarity to the voting process, as it's just so hard to compare pitchers and hitters. Basically it's like debating apples and oranges.

That said, yes, I would trade McGehee for Hanson. I'd probably trade Gamel or maybe even Escobar for him too, but that's just because we need starting pitching so badly at this point.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Hanson lost 4 wins via blown saves by his bullpen (per the Atlanta Journal Constitution)....10-3 2.65 looks great, but 14-3 would make him the favorite...

However I'd give it to Happ....10-4 2.77 is impressive, but you factor in that he's pitching in a hitting-biased ballpark (understatement!) & he's a key player on a division leading ball club is enough for me....

Yeah, I thought Hanson was going to get it easily earlier in the season, but he has scuffled someone and not gotten bullpen help, like you said.

I just think it's so hard to compare pitchers and hitters in terms of value and "contributions" that it would be nice if they would have separate awards.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived