Brewer Fanatic

2009 National League Rookie of the Year

jjfanec
The Rockies have Fowler sharing hisplaying time with way too many people...really, its the same deal with rasmus...I mean, at this point, Jordan Schafer could come back up and jump right back in this...How about Tommy Hanson with 10 wins and 125-150 k's?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hanson hasn't even thrown a pitch yet in the majors...who's saying he won't blow up right away his first time in the big leagues?
Here's to blowing up Hanson in a few hours... Clink... Drink...

I can't believe the first post of Matt Wieters is post #29. Sure he has underwhelmed in his first couple weeks in the bigs - but the potential of this kid is up there in Joe Mauer territory (offense and defense). Once he gets going I think he runs away with it.

edit: see logan's response below... my bad...

I can't believe the first post of Matt Wieters is post #29
Well, the thread title clearly states "NL Rookie of the Year" so it shouldn't be to surprising.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I think Andrew McCutchen will win the NL ROY. McCutchen is one of the most exciting players to watch that the Pirates have had in years. He reminds me of Kenny Lofton. Hopefully, he can put some people in the seats at PNC. I'm sick of watching games at that beautiful park with barely anyone in the seats.

McCutcheon nearly hit a go-ahead solo shot in the bottom of the 14th tonight in Atlanta as part of a 4-hit night. He hit a missile to straightaway CF, & McLouth caught it at the wall.

I have to agree with tfot, this guy is super-fast, and if he learns to use that gap in PNC he could be a menace.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think McCutchen will ultimately be a mediocre player but he'll get a lot of press and I still think he wins ROY though I doubt he is ever a significant improvement over McLouth.

The Rockies have Fowler sharing hisplaying time with way too many people...really, its the same deal with rasmus...I mean, at this point, Jordan Schafer could come back up and jump right back in this...How about Tommy Hanson with 10 wins and 125-150 k's?
Fowler's started 43 of the 57 Rockie games and is on pace for 497 AB's. If he picks it up a little, he'll get more. I don't think it's an issue.

"A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the major leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a major league club or clubs during the period of a 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service)."

He was well below the 130-AB threshold heading into 2009, so the only question is service-time. Time spent on the big-league roster after its expansion to 40 men in September does not count towards that 45-day tally.

From what I can tell, yes, he is still considered a rookie.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I was wondering the same thing. If McGehee keeps up his current pace, I think he has a pretty good shot at it. No one really thinks of him as a rookie because he wasn't considered a top prospect, but as of today, his numbers are better than McCutchen.

• 2 weeks later...

McCutchens

097 AB| 16 R| 1 HR| 18 RBI| 07 BB| 16 SO| .309 avg| .362 OBP| .485 slg| .846 OPS

McGehee

103 AB| 19 R| 4 HR| 17 RBI| 12 BB| 19 SO| .340 avg| .402 OBP| .544 slg| .945 OPS

He could actually have a very good shot at it. I seriously doubt he hits this well the whole year, but at the same time he probably won't drop off so much that he's not in the running.

After going 0-5 today against Minnesota, Colby Rasmus is hitting .263/.308/.442, translating to a .750 OPS. He's been playing well lately after a slow start, although he's had a cold week or so. I still think he has the best shot to win the award, especially if the Cards end up winning the division.

McGehee would definitely be a surprise, though...if he can catch up to Rasmus' home run total things might get really interesting.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Yeah, Rasmus has a nice lead in HRs and RBI right now, but he also has had more than twice as many at bats. If you were to translate McGehee's numbers to 225 at bats like Rasmus he'd have 8 HRs and 35 RBI. Now obviously you can't just do that, but the point is that McGehee's hitting them at a faster pace which means he'll be able to make up ground there even with 118 fewer at bats. He probably won't over take Rasmus in HRs, but with how much better his other numbers are he might not have to.

I'm going to stick with Hanson regardless of the fact that pitchers rarely win the award. I think he's just going to keep getting better with every start this year.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Archived