Brewer Fanatic

Zambrano announces retirement (at end of current contract)

Invader3K

From MLB Trade Rumors :

"After this contract, I'm done," said Zambrano, who is signed through 2012 with a vesting option for 2013. "I'm serious. I don't want to play. I want to help this team, I want to do everything possible to win with this team, but after five years or four years, or whatever I have left on my contract, I just don't want to play.

"I want to stay home and see my daughters grow up and hang out with my family more," he said. "Do you know how many Mother's Days I spend with my mother? Do you know how many things I've lost in my life?

"It's good to be here, it's good to play baseball -- don't get me wrong," Zambrano said. "But five years, four years, whatever I have left in my contract, I will retire. That's it."

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I find this really random. I don't see how a guy can for sure know that he will retire in 5 years. I mean sure, he might retire then, but how does he know how good he'll be throwing then, or how bad, or how he will feel. Oh well, I don't like the guy anyway, and he's a Cub, so I could care less.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

He's crazy enough to make this believable, that's for sure. Despite the antics, I never got the feeling that he was comfortable in such a large spotlight, so it wouldn't surprise me if he was just the type to retire early and live the rest of his life quietly in Venezuela. He's also incredibly loyal, though, so I don't doubt that he feels that he owes it to the organization to stay there for the remainder of the deal.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Bah, whatever. As Mr. Burns said "I'd trade it all... for a little bit more".

My first thought when I read that: The Brett Favre of baseball. He's, now, hinted at retirement. The question is - does the media care enough to question him about it?

Whatever Big Z, like someone else said by that time he will probably not be very good anymore anyway. And if he is and someone offers a big deal, I doubt he actually turns it down.

Totally agree with that. Money talks. It always does. Big Z isn't any different than any other money hungry major league player. He doesn't strike me as a guy that would turn his back to all that money and just walk away.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Interesting decision by Zambrano but, believe it or not, it's one that I can respect; if he's being honest and holds up his end of the bargain, of course. I never really liked the guy but he's a heck of a pitcher at times. It takes some guts to come out in public and tell people this.

I wish I was able to say something like this, but alas, that won't be happening for quite a long time. At least I'm not missing Mother's Day and the like.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Wasn't he up there with Sheets as far as pitcher's abuse points the last few years? You guys are right he won't be that good in a few years, it already seems like that is taking his toll. Whatever happens I'm sure he'll make it longer than that Gatorade dispenser in the dugout at Wrigley.

Totally agree with that. Money talks. It always does. Big Z isn't any different than any other money hungry major league player. He doesn't strike me as a guy that would turn his back to all that money and just walk away.
I think it's rather unfair to say all major league ballplayers are money hungry. Torres retired after a career-type year. I'm sure there have been many others as well, but Torres just popped into my head.

Yeah, some guys do leave money on the table and walk away. I think that is commendable when someone puts family above making a few more million.

As far as Zambrano, I found the article more funny than anything. I don't doubt he is being at least somewhat sincere. I don't think he was just putting that out there to be outrageous or something.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I think it could be added that the Hispanic culture is very family oriented. Family comes before work. Not saying that explains everything behind his comments, but I could see growing up with that type of perspective having an impact in a person´s decision of whether he ought to continue to earn his millions or spend time with his family.

As with any quote, it's better to view it in context. He was asked if he would stick around to get 300 Wins, and he answered what he was feeling at the time.
That's how I would interpret it. It means nothing. I hope he continues to pitch for the Cubs. He is getting worn out from overuse anyway.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I agree. I thought right away "Wow, Big Z calling it quits already? No way!" Then I figured "nah...it's gotta be about Victor Zambrano". When I found out it was Big Z, I was excited, but then I saw "after his contract is up in 20-whatever.

My point is, could we change the thread name to avoid any confusion/over-excitement?

Archived