Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5

From the Albany Herald:

D'Vontrey Richardson signed his contract with the Milwaukee Brewers, who drafted him in the fifth round earlier this year, at his home Friday night.

"It feels good to get the process going," said Richardson, who added he is flying to Milwaukee on Monday and then to Arizona in the near future to begin Rookie League ball.

Good to see this got done.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Assuming the Brewers ink Davis, even though I have mixed feelings about that, I still want Hall signed if at all possible. This already has the makings of an excellent draft, but one more projectable pitcher would please me greatly.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I really think Davis needs to sign for this to be an excellent draft, or even a good one. I really like a lot of players they took, but Davis may have the greatest chance to reach his potential as a dynamic, impact player.

well if we dont get hall; at least we got heckathorn and howell, and of course arnett. one of my favorite guys we took this year was lex rutledge and i was hoping we would have a chance at him, but i guess not because i havent heard anything about that. if we could get both hall and rutledge signed, that would be an even bigger coup than getting howell signed, imo.

i do think davis has some real potential also.

I'm greedy: I want us to sign Davis, Hall and Gennett. With the kind of way-above-slot cash that's been thrown at late-round picks over the past week, as reported by the handy MLBTradeRumors twitter, it'd be great to se the Brewers keep following suit. Obviously Richardson fits that mould, as does Howell, but when I see the Pirates and Cubs going way over slot, I get a bit envious.

I'm guessing Gennett is no more than a pipe dream at the moment, but the Brewers have to realistically think they can sign Hall, or they wouldn't have spent a 4th rounder on him.

Perhaps not making a huge July 31st acquisition and spending a fair but not exorbitant amount in the Dominican will justify ponying up for 5 above slot bonuses http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif I guess I should take solace in the fact that we've signed our 1st rounder, unlike many other teams at this point.

Anyone have any idea what it would take to land Hall and, especially, Gennett? I know the Davis + Boras negotiations got real weird, so I'm not sure what anyone can suggest on that front...

According to this blog, Brooks Hall agreed to terms a couple of weeks ago and is waiting for the commissioner's office to approve it. The interview looks to have been posted on Aug. 2nd. I am surprised this information hasn't made it to this forum yet. If true, it is great news. There is also a link to the audio from the interview as well as the transcript.

http://brewernation.mlblogs.com/

Also, according to this article, Kentrail Davis's college coach is not optimistic that Davis will return to Tennessee.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/jul/28/raleigh-making-his-pitch-to-draftees/

editted to remove wierd highlighting

Wishful thinking manifestation?

On his blog, http://brewersbeat.mlblogs.com , McCalvy is reporting that the Brewers are confidently nearing deals with Davis, Hall - and Gennett! Considering the above report on Hall and that the team just made official annuncements on D'Vo (2010 contract) and Howell, I'd consider this really positive, at the org seems to downplay or be very guarded and cautious about premature optimism.

I would be very excited to add these three. I would assume Davis would immediately by a BA org top 10 for us and Hall and Gennett would be top 30. Gennett's report has him as a top polished HS bat in this class. Has anyone seen him at a showcase (hint, hint, colby...)?

I was really excited about the Gennett pick because he was one of my favorite prep hitters dating back to last summer:

http://www.pgcrosschecker.com/Articles/DisplayArticle.aspx?article=422

That said, I never thought they had a chance to sign him where they drafted him other than as a backup plan. He has a great left-handed swing with great bat speed & surprising pop for his size. The reports I heard of him this spring indicated that he wasn't as sharp, & teams walked away unsure that a sub-6' middle infielder, who likely will have to move to 2b, was worth an early pick. But the kid is a gamer, & he certainly didn't forget how to hit.

McCalvy just tweeted that Seid and Davis were on the field pregame and that the two sides are dotting and crossing the document. Adam expects it'll be formal in time for a mid-game announcement.

Ok, Hall sounds pretty much finished. I'd love an announcement on Gennett today, too.

Sorry about the lack of a link, but it's tedious on an iPhone.

Archived